The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine today (in California). Sadly I haven't had time to listen today, but tomorrow for sure.
I finally got a chance to listen to it last night (in 5.1.4 Atmos). It's extremely well done: excellent mix, well-recorded, sounds you never heard before. The music isn't catchy like Eno's more approachable stuff, but it wasn't meant to be. If you can live with this constraint, it's a definite buy. I like the booklet too. The whole thing was done carefully and with feeling.

A couple of minor things about the Brian Eno release for me was the ultra small/thin/light text in the booklet (hard for these old eyes); and I would have appreciated a dedicated 5.1 mix. There are still a lot of folks (like myself) that are a little behind the curve on getting an Atmos rig, or may never be able to do so, it can be a challenge for many for numerous reasons.

However, as I've said before, I'm all in on these releases, and encourage Paul to carry on with them please.

Hi Paul, great to see you continuing this great idea of surround sound physical releases 👍🏻.

Any chance you could convince Steven Wilson to do an Atmos / 5.1 mix of Porcupine Tree’s Voyage 34?

Thant would be amazing!
Since there are already a lot of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson publications in surround, i would prefer the Supertramp catalogue. ;)

i'm surprised there's been no Supertramp in Quad/5.1 already, seems a perfect fit for Surround.

Their music certainly would be an excellent fit, but there is so much internal friction in that band (possibly as bad as Pink Floyd) that it's next to impossible to get anything done. The Paris DVD from a few years back caused all sorts of arguments.

That would be awesome. But in addition to all the inner turmoil amongst the band members, you also have to wonder how many of their multi tracks went up in flames in the Universal fire. 😥
For now I choose to remain optimistic, maybe UMG sugarcoated but

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/universal-music-fire-archive-damage-update-2008-1203525454/amp/
Anyway, with about a year left before 2024 hits, maybe Paul can start some inquiries.

A 5000 SDE run of that title seems about bloody well right to me :)

Back