Spinning on the Turntable now...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and THIS one came out of left field.. I got this in CASSETTE when it came out and played it to DEATH in my Mom's 1979 Chrysler Le Baron so I was looking for an early pressing but, for the same price I found this one which according to most of the reviews was a QUIET pressing AND supervised by The Edge himself..now, my heart SANK when I saw "MADE IN CZECH REPUBLIC" but this one was from 2009 AND it seems QC was TOP NOTCH because it's the quietest LP I have EVER HEARD.. I'd say.. IN MY LIFE!..may NOT be an early pressing but it sounds VERY GOOD...and also a louder than usual cut, definitely VERY RECOMMENDABLE!
https://www.discogs.com/release/13734008-U2-The-Unforgettable-Fire

PXL_20221113_185459581~2.jpg

saw these guys opening for UB40 in 1988 in Great Woods, MA..well , we actually went to see THEM,not UB40...something about them that I always liked, a lot of people compare them to Extreme...Saw them in Madrid in 2017 and they were magnificent and a class act! This new LP sounds like they are stretching a bit further...the mix sounds weird, though.. way too compressed! but I am glad I am supporting them...
https://www.discogs.com/release/23559185-Dan-Reed-Network-Lets-Hear-It-For-The-King

yeah, yeah, sometimes you dismiss comments on "legendary" pressings or pressing plants/lathes, etc.
BUT, one thing is to come across one of those pressings.
Now, thanks to the Salvation Army I found this baby...
As usual as with what I get , it HAS to look great and this one fit the bill.
So, I go into Discogs and find that I have stumbled across a "legendary" pressing ; it states the following on the release page;
"...P17 in deadwax runout indicates the lacquer was cut on the legendary P17 lathe.
Pressed at Richmond Record Pressings as indicated by RFR in deadwax..."
So I think, well, let's hear it!!!
Suddenly, I am being taken aback by one of the most "alive" classical recordings I have ever heard!!! The presence is unbelievable!
And to top it off, the pressing is magnificent...
I know a lot these Mercury Records "Living Presence Stereo" releases were basically 3 channel "L-C-R" recordings and a lot of them have been released on SACD, and now I see why...
https://www.discogs.com/release/14771778-Stravinsky-Antal-Dorati-Minneapolis-Symphony-Petroushka

I have that Nektar record I thought it was an unmarked QS recording. Isn't this the mix on the out of print SACD?
Yes! That is what it is. I think it is on the SACD. I know they are doing a 50th Anniversary RtF tour, and they just acquired the rights to their back catalog, so perhaps they will do a re-release.

If I recall the first CD release of this album only had the rear channels of the quad mix. Or perhaps just the front, as that makes more sense. Either way it sounded TERRIBLE.

I have that Nektar record I thought it was an unmarked QS recording. Isn't this the mix on the out of print SACD?
Yes! That is what it is. I think it is on the SACD. I know they are doing a 50th Anniversary RtF tour, and they just acquired the rights to their back catalog, so perhaps they will do a re-release.

If I recall the first CD release of this album only had the rear channels of the quad mix. Or perhaps just the front, as that makes more sense. Either way it sounded TERRIBLE.
I haven't played it in ages but I think it is the Quad mix on the SACD multichannel SA-CD.net - Nektar: Remember the Future (though it may be an added 'blended' centre on the 5.1) amusingly one reviewer says the Multichannel mix is redundant!

If looking for one the Nektar - Remember The Future (5.1 Hybrid-SACD) Barcode is 5060071320426

It's a bitchin' record, Gene. I'd be shocked if you don't love it.
LOL! I do not, but I may need to scope it out. Truth be told, I never gave Pat Travers much of a chance back in my educational years. Though, my best friends sure liked him. And well, I liked the single or 2 that got pretty wide air-play here in the midwest.

Back