Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - 50th Anniversary Atmos mix in 2023! (Standalone BD coming in October!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. But I bet there are some people who spent $300 on the big box for the sole purpose of acquiring the blu-ray who are not going to be too happy.... 😢
I bought the box just for the Blu-ray, but I’m not unhappy with this news.

I long ago got over feeling too bad about spending money for something I wanted, even if, like in this case, I spent way more than I would have needed to. You take your chances. I have bigger regrets in life than music purchases.

In all honesty, any angst I might feel for buying the box (which is minuscule in this case) is completely washed away by the fact that it’s now more affordable for people who couldn’t spend money (or didn’t want to) for the big box.

I’ve said this before... I want music (and especially surround mixes) to be as widely available as possible. So I’m just as excited about this news as anyone else.

But will I hold out if The Wall box set with a box-only Atmos mix is released and take my chances on the hope of a stand-alone Blu-ray. Possibly. Then again, the chance to hear Comfortably Numb in Atmos as soon as humanly possible might be too overwhelming for me.

If you select that Atmos mix without an Atmos system it should fold down to 5.1.
Atmos doesn't work that way. The 5.1 or 7.1 bed contains everything so that someone with a Dolby True HD decoder can play it with all sounds present. The object data for Atmos both says how the object sounds and moves and also how to subtract that object's audio from the 5.1 or 7.1 bed.

Atmos doesn't work that way. The 5.1 or 7.1 bed contains everything so that someone with a Dolby True HD decoder can play it with all sounds present. The object data for Atmos both says how the object sounds and moves and also how to subtract that object's audio from the 5.1 or 7.1 bed.
Thank You!!
I was pretty much parroting what I've hear a lot of other people say. I appreciate the clarification.

Thank You!!
I was pretty much parroting what I've hear a lot of other people say. I appreciate the clarification.
It pretty much has to work that way, otherwise Blu Rays with Atmos mixes would need two Dolby True HD soundtracks, one for Atmos and one for people using gear that can't decode Atmos. There could be some discs like that but I'm not aware of any.

Ohhhh, so now they offer this up 😒

bravo to those that held out for a stand alone on this 👏

rt, this is almost as bad as not having Revolver Atmos in physical!!!

I rarely bring out the 'Resident Alien', but this is well worthy

This is some BullShit.gif

my wallet this year is starting to feel the massive pull of an

Event Horizon overload.gif

Last edited:
What I find so crazy about this release is that the original 50th anniversary box set had two Blu-ray Discs included in it.
This single disc Blu-Ray release has the exact same content as both Blu-ray Discs from the box set all on one disc, which goes to show that the original 50th anniversary box set really was overpriced in that we were paying for two Blu-ray Discs when of course now we can clearly see that all the content could have easily fit onto 1 disc.
It's also crazy that they basically authored two Blu-ray Discs for the box set and now have had to author yet another disc for this single-disc release...

:oops:

Ohhhh, so now they offer this up 😒

Oh well, I didn't see that this Blu-ray is also offered by Amazon until I had already ordered from SDE. So it cost me three extra bucks with shipping from SDE than Amazon. But frankly, paying three bucks more to get it from Paul instead of Bezos...PRICELESS.

Oh well, I didn't see that this Blu-ray is also offered by Amazon until I had already ordered from SDE. So it cost me three extra bucks with shipping from SDE than Amazon. But frankly, paying three bucks more to get it from Paul instead of Bezos...PRICELESS.
It's still not on Amazon UK. I've ordered it from SDE, like you I'd rather my business went to Paul.

They're legally obligated (in the UK anyway) to meet that price if you order at that price. Note unless you have Prime (which I don't) they add £3.99 postage to that, so would be £10 cheaper than SDE. My order is still with Paul at SDE.

Much to my annoyance I've found the same price obligations don't apply in the US. I once pre-ordered something for $30, and the company later decided it should be $75 and simply cancelled my order when I complained. In the UK that would have been illegal, but apparently it's not in the US. Outrageous behaviour!

Last edited:
Back