The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh jeez... There's no way I would have bought this if it wasn't part of the series!

I have no interest in re-hashes of his or other peoples previous productions. This disc will stay within its cellophane wrapping and never be opened!
Such goes the trap of "completest" collecting.

The numbering was brilliant because I can be a completist and missing one could mess with my head. But once I broke the cycle and didn’t buy the Suede release, it got a lot easier to say no to others.

Don’t get me wrong... I want to support the series and still will if there’s something I think I’ll at least like a little bit.

But there are so many great releases in the surround realm from different companies and artists these days, I simply can’t be buying every single album that comes out.

The numbering was brilliant because I can be a completist and missing one could mess with my head. But once I broke the cycle and didn’t buy the Suede release, it got a lot easier to say no to others.

Don’t get me wrong... I want to support the series and still will if there’s something I think I’ll at least like a little bit.

But there are so many great releases in the surround realm from different companies and artists these days, I simply can’t be buying every single album that comes out.
Funny - I bought the Suede release based on completist OCD (having never heard it before) and now I am obsessed with it.
Even a blind (or deaf?) squirrel gets a nut once in a while… 🐿️

Funny - I bought the Suede release based on completist OCD (having never heard it before) and now I am obsessed with it.
Even a blind (or deaf?) squirrel gets a nut once in a while… 🐿️
That might have been my problem... I took the time to listen to it ahead of time. Maybe I would have been more open if I had committed to buying it and heard it for the first time in Atmos.

If there had been an instrumental mix, I would have pulled the trigger. More-often-than-not I can find enjoyment in the instrumentals even if the vocal version isn’t my thing.

That might have been my problem... I took the time to listen to it ahead of time. Maybe I would have been more open if I had committed to buying it and heard it for the first time in Atmos.

If there had been an instrumental mix, I would have pulled the trigger. More-often-than-not I can find enjoyment in the instrumentals even if the vocal version isn’t my thing.
That may be true.
The surround mix knocked me out. A great introduction.
I have since bought a 4 CD career retrospective which is not nearly as engaging.
Still - the guitar playing and songwriting is tremendous.
I wrongly associated them with Britpop, but they are much heavier - musically & lyrically.
I can see (hear) how the vocals might be an acquired taste, but as a Smiths/Morrissey fan (who likewise channeled elements of Bowie/T. Rex) it wasn’t such a leap for me 😁

That may be true.
The surround mix knocked me out. A great introduction.
I have since bought a 4 CD career retrospective which is not nearly as engaging.
Still - the guitar playing and songwriting is tremendous.
I wrongly associated them with Britpop, but they are much heavier - musically & lyrically.
I can see (hear) how the vocals might be an acquired taste, but as a Smiths/Morrissey fan (who likewise channeled elements of Bowie/T. Rex) it wasn’t such a leap for me 😁

Glad you're liking them, I've been a fan since it was first released and was most pleasantly surprised to see an SW remix, I really hope they continue with Dog Man Star and Coming Up next.

It's a real shame that the B-sides were not included as lot of Suede B-sides are better than the A-sides and easily some of their best material. There is a 2 CD set called 'Sci-Fi Lullabies' that is well worth getting (I'd say essential!) if you are getting into the band, 27 B-sides from the first three albums.

I'd like to think the B-sides were not included on 'Suede' because they have plans to remix the lot in surround for a Sci-Fi Lullabies re-issue further along the line, here's hoping anyway!

As for other stuff in the SDE series, it would be great to see the Frankie Goes To Hollywood 5.1 stuff get a re-release. I missed the box set that came out some years back and that's now prohibitively expensive, as is the SACD, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced SACD to turn up, if anyone wants to part with one let me know...

It's a real shame that the B-sides were not included as lot of Suede B-sides are better than the A-sides and easily some of their best material. There is a 2 CD set called 'Sci-Fi Lullabies' that is well worth getting (I'd say essential!) if you are getting into the band, 27 B-sides from the first three albums.

I'd like to think the B-sides were not included on 'Suede' because they have plans to remix the lot in surround for a Sci-Fi Lullabies re-issue further along the line, here's hoping anyway!
The interesting thing is if they go the Sci-Fi Lullabies route, that may leave a few b-sides on the cutting room floor in regards to surround sound mixes, like "Dolly". Of course, getting a whole b-sides set with surround sound treatment is nothing to scoff at (if it ends up happening). It's just something that came to my mind.

Last edited:
The interesting thing is if they go the Sci-Fi Lullabies route, that may leave a few b-sides on the cutting room floor, like "Dolly". Of course, getting a whole b-sides set with surround sound treatment is nothing to scoff at, if it ends up happening. It's just something that came to my mind.

True, there are quite a few missing, gives them an excuse to do an expanded edition and include all of them! I can't recall why the odd B-sides were left off, will have to dig out my CD and see if the liner notes reveal anything, I imagine the band didn't think them worthy or it was a run time thing?

This is interesting, Brett's personal ranking of Suede albums, Sci-Fi Lullabies is at number 4, he starts by saying 'The only reason this is number four, and not number one...' I'd not seen this interview before, well worth a read...

Rank Your Records: Brett Anderson Sorts Suede’s Records

Young Men in 5.1 would be ace so I'm all in for Sci-Fi Lullabies.

Glad you're liking them, I've been a fan since it was first released and was most pleasantly surprised to see an SW remix, I really hope they continue with Dog Man Star and Coming Up next.

As for other stuff in the SDE series, it would be great to see the Frankie Goes To Hollywood 5.1 stuff get a re-release. I missed the box set that came out some years back and that's now prohibitively expensive, as is the SACD, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a reasonably priced SACD to turn up, if anyone wants to part with one let me know...
I have read that about their B-sides. It appears that some but not all of them are randomly thrown together on disc 3 of the 4 CD “Beautiful Ones” retrospective.
I have tried to re-order the tracks to create a chronological playlist with B-Sides following appropriate singles.
At the moment I am hooked on “To The Birds” - playing it more than any of the singles 👍🏼

Screenshot_20231116-090631_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back