The SDE Surround Sound Series (Updated list of titles with links in post #1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You must have a better setup than I, nothing in the heights here. The Bruce Soord solo album have my meters go to red. Well, money saved.
I think the issue here is that Echoes isn't in Atmos on Apple Music while Luminescence is.

1695733903983.png

1695733954846.png

I wasn't at all interested in the initial announcement of Echoes. Looking at the tracks, it really intriguing. Unfortunately, the label couldn't have made a worse choice for the teaser. There are two songs in the list I don't Slave to the Rhythm is one. It does nothing for me. I may order it and watch for future teasers. I can always cancel until late December.

I have to pass.

I listened to several songs on Qobuz from several of Horn's albums. One was covers of 80's music. One was covers of film score tracks. Total snooze-fest. Horn's syrupy slow orchestral renditions and the female vocalist on Dancing in the Dark was soppy slush. NOTHING like the catchy, infinitely danceable, rock of Springsteen & E Street Band. I have to question Horn's artistic choice of using a Nelson Riddle style for such an iconic hit rock song. I can't trust that this new Echos album will be done differently. If he does it the same way, it's fit for elevator music.

EDIT - I see that the songs on this album have the original vocalists which is a good step. However, if Love Is A Battleground, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Relax etc are going to be soft pop-orchestra-ized, even with their original artists, this still doesn't interest me. I've got Benatar's greatest hits, 90125, Frankie Goes to Hollywood (5.1 SACD & rarer as heck) and others so can listen to them as the artists intended - played as such. Benatar was punk rock, so how does a classic MTV era rock song work played with an orchestra?

I'm not sure what the purpose of this album is and who's it for.

Last edited:
Interesting...

So I get an email this morning that there's a copy of Tubular Bells available. So I immediately click on the link and sure enough the copy shows up and I put it in my cart.

So thinking that copy is now mine, I go back to add the Trevor Horn pre-order and when I go to check out the Tubular Bells disappears because it says it's no longer available!

Lesson learned!!

This reminds me, yesterday night, when I was thinking how to program Home Assistant automations to avoid simultaneously of different events that would trigger different actions that enter in conflict.

Asuming It is a software issue, if several mails are sent to different people and many add the item to the cart, at the end, only one order is validated and the rest are cancelled.

Going deeper into programming technicals, that is te concept of the 'lock'.

Perhaps It was not a human manual error adjusting the stocks or whatever.

Last edited:
Intriguing isn't it. Not sure I was getting anything from the rears. As I concentrated on the heights. Yes, Bruce knows how to mix Atmos.
I'm sure a fellow QQ'r will chime in and put his or her take on it.

Like Mike said it is strange how there are wildly different opinions on folks reaction to some of these Atmos Mixes.

But it is an art and therefore our interpretations will vary from person to person in how the final Atmos release sounds.

I believe we mainly get the same results from our set ups and I know you are as particular about this, as me.

It's all good 👍
well i had a look on the Computermabob (and ended up delving deeper than i felt the track deserved tbh 👀 ) and could detect scant musical info in the Heights. there was low level ambience throughout but nothing uniquely steered or placed in the Heights that i could pick up on. ho hum, just me two penn'uth, there's a load more tracks they can get Atmos-sy with to come! 😋🤠

EDIT - I see that the songs on this album have the original vocalists which is a good step. However, if Love Is A Battleground, Owner of a Lonely Heart, Relax etc are going to be soft pop-orchestra-ized, even with their original artists, this still doesn't interest me. I've got Benatar's greatest hits, 90125, Frankie Goes to Hollywood (5.1 SACD & rarer as heck) and others so can listen to them as the artists intended - played as such. Benatar was punk rock, so how does a classic MTV era rock song work played with an orchestra?

I'm not sure what the purpose of this album is and who's it for.
????? I think you got that wrong. There are no original vocalists featured on these cuts as far as I understand. The original artists are just listed as an indication of who did the orgional cut.

For Example - Drive feat. Steve Hogarth (The Cars)

This is Trevor Horn's version of "The Cars'" song 'Drive' with Steve Hogarth from Marillion singing lead. No member of "The Cars" either living or dead (its 50/50 there) where used in the making of this cover version.

well i had a look on the Computermabob (and ended up delving deeper than i felt the track deserved tbh 👀 ) and could detect scant musical info in the Heights. there was low level ambience throughout but nothing uniquely steered or placed in the Heights that i could pick up on. ho hum, just me two penn'uth, there's a load more tracks they can get Atmos-sy with to come! 😋🤠
Cheers for doing that Adam.:love:
I've not rechecked my rear (ooh er missus) 's since my last post. Clearly the verdict is that its lacking the separation I thought I could detect.
I will have to wait for others verdicts before I beat the Atmos drum 🥁 :D

This reminds me, yesterday night, when I was thinking how to program Home Assistant automations to avoid simultaneously of different events that would trigger different actions that enter in conflict.

Asuming It is a software issue, if severak mails are sent to different people and many add the item to the carta, at the end, only one order is validated and the rest are cancelled.

Going deeper into programming technicals, that is te concept of the 'lock'.

Perhaps It was not a human manual error adjusting the stocks or whatever.
That’s what I presume happened. One copy gets returned and an email goes out to everyone who has asked to be notified if the item shows up back in stock. After that it’s first come first served.

What I didn’t expect is that having in the “cart” didn’t matter. I figured at that point it was mine. Next time I won’t hesitate!

I've not rechecked my rear (ooh er missus) 's since my last post. Clearly the verdict is that its lacking the separation I thought I could detect.
anytime me hearty!!! 💪⚓🤗💦🍻

tbh i try not to get too forensically fussed about it all nowadays because the best Surround Music mixes shouldn't really require us to put our ears up to the speakers to see if the bloody things are on.. testing, testing, 1,2,3... 5.1.. err.. 7.1.. oh fudge it, we've got 13 channels now what are we gonna do with them!?!! 🎙👌🤩

..but but but.. 🍑 😂 we know we all end up doing it at some point, standing on a chair, second-guessing the engineer.. 🧐😋👀

so now i just say <WOT-EV-URRRR> 🤷🏻‍♀️ and be done with it, let bygones be bygones and set it to Max Bygraves levels!! you need 'aaaandssszzz.. VOOMF!!! 🤪👏🙌😅🤣🥳

That’s what I presume happened. One copy gets returned and an email goes out to everyone who has asked to be notified if the item shows up back in stock. After that it’s first come first served.

What I didn’t expect is that having in the “cart” didn’t matter. I figured at that point it was mine. Next time I won’t hesitate!
The 'locked' requested items (temporarily) when in the cart, I think is working in some sites when you select seats ordering for tickets for a theater.
But to order items on web sites, you see, you have learned for the future.
I wonder how sophisticated would be Amazon web site ordering when there is a minimal stock.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm not that dumb sucker after all.;) There is good output in the surround backs, or at least that's what the meters tell me.:unsure:

Trevor Horn related, I was really hoping for a SDE 40th anniversary spatial audio mix of YES' 90125 on physical media. I love that album as much (if not more) than I did back in '83. There's not even been a whisper of an anniversary release so I guess I must keep on hoping. At least I have the new Trevor Rabin album to look forward to but IMO, 90125 is crying out for a 5.1 and/or Atmos mix. :cry:

Yep, just got the email and ordered, but its only a 7-day window to get it
Trevor Horn presents Echoes: Ancient & Modern SDE-exclusive blu-ray audio
This may end up being my least interest in this series. But, ordered anyway.
Oh jeez... There's no way I would have bought this if it wasn't part of the series!

I have no interest in re-hashes of his or other peoples previous productions. This disc will stay within its cellophane wrapping and never be opened!

Back