Pearl Jam "Dark Matter" CD+BD-A w/ Atmos (4/19/2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While again, I don't have time for a deep dive listen, I did put the disk back in for a second listen. I mean, jeez. I think it sounds amazing. This is a big old rock and roll album and deserves to be played loud. It is loud, with a butt load of bass (well, I use bass management)

You can crank the hell out of it and my subs are punching me in the chest. Also, for sure, the height speakers are very active at times. Like I said yesterday, I think it kicks ass. I don't notice any concerns about dynamic range really. Sure, it's loud, but again, most of the songs jump out of the gate at full throttle.

In terms of this style of music, I'd have to say this is one of the better sounding Atmos titles I've heard.

While again, I don't have time for a deep dive listen, I did put the disk back in for a second listen. I mean, jeez. I think it sounds amazing. This is a big old rock and roll album and deserves to be played loud. It is loud, with a butt load of bass (well, I use bass management)

You can crank the hell out of it and my subs are punching me in the chest. Also, for sure, the height speakers are very active at times. Like I said yesterday, I think it kicks ass. I don't notice any concerns about dynamic range really. Sure, it's loud, but again, most of the songs jump out of the gate at full throttle.

In terms of this style of music, I'd have to say this is one of the better sounding Atmos titles I've heard.
What you got this one before me? lol. @Bill B usually get's his before me as well. Well just color me...boondocks!

Did Alliance ship it? I have a notice on informed delivery that Alliance will be delivering something Monday.
No; Alliance ships out of Kentucky or Tennessee, I think. This was sent by some outfit in Seattle, perhaps from the band itself (since they're based there).

I discovered if you turn it over where the open cd slot is on the bottom and you give the top a tap then the disc’s will partially slide out enough to grab hold of it to pull the rest of the way out. What a poor packaging design they came up with! Oh well.
I haven't tried this, yet, but I read if you take a post-it note and slide it sticky side down under the sleeve, onto the disc then press down on the cardboard atop it you can pull the disc out far enough to get our fat fingers on it to remove easier. I was in denial it could happen, still I ripped apart my Air 2cd+bluray-atmos package with my fat fingers before reading about the post-it way.

Edit: I tried it (on my just delivered Dark Matter pkg), and it works very well. Love love love Got to Give.

Last edited:

Thanks for the quick review, looking forward to my copy arrive. No wonder PJ are quite confident to play this album in selected Dolby Atmos theater couple of days ago before the actual album release.

Fortunately the BD-A authoring was pretty good. When ripping, I only noticed one issue where the last few seconds of “Waiting For Stevie” appeared at the beginning on “Running”. These 2 tracks do transition without any silence, but based on the “Running” single released a few weeks ago, I believe the BD-A to be incorrect and manually fixed when creating FLACs.

Fortunately the BD-A authoring was pretty good. When ripping, I only noticed one issue where the last few seconds of “Waiting For Stevie” appeared at the beginning on “Running”. These 2 tracks do transition without any silence, but based on the “Running” single released a few weeks ago, I believe the BD-A to be incorrect and manually fixed when creating FLACs.
As someone said the stereo mastering is awful, we should get better stereo mix FLAC from ripping the dolby atmos BD-A? Tempted

Back