Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MoFi mono SURREALISTIC PILLOW is worth acquiring, as well, but VOLUNTEERS is a revelation! "Wooden Ships" gives me chills, it sounds so good. . . .

Shame that there are those JA quads not released . . . BARK is not a fave of mine, but would make an interesting SACD quad! Why they skipped SP and CROWN is a mystery (BAXTER'S would be awesome, but it wasn't that big a seller).

I love it when Grace Slick slyly slips an angelic MF in after "Tear down the walls . . ."
View attachment 40849
This album never sounded better. Would LOVE some Airplane (hell, even some Starship) on MC!
Clement, I have Volunteers and The Worst of the Jefferson Airplane on QUAD OPEN REEL but haven't played them in years. Agree, the MoFi SACD remaster is wonderful!

Unfortunately, whatever recordings I've owned of Jefferson Airplane have had poor sonics. The last one was a redbook stereo CD of Surrealistic Pillow...brutal sound. But the MoFi of Volunteers is recommended without reservation, right?

The MoFi mono SURREALISTIC PILLOW is worth acquiring, as well, but VOLUNTEERS is a revelation! "Wooden Ships" gives me chills, it sounds so good. . . .

Shame that there are those JA quads not released . . . BARK is not a fave of mine, but would make an interesting SACD quad! Why they skipped SP and CROWN is a mystery (BAXTER'S would be awesome, but it wasn't that big a seller).
Thanks! I'll check out the MoFi SP next sale. The very thought of ABaB on quad is giving me a flashback! Ima go lick that gatefold . . .

I've been meaning to comment on a few of the posts in this thread for a few days.

Stevie Wonder SACD's:
I bought Innervisions and Talking Book on SACD. Songs in the Key I bought on BR-A. IMHO, they all sound as good as I've heard them sound.

Innervisons I've owned on LP, CD, MoFi Gold CD & Japan SHM-SACD. The Gold CD was head & shoulders above the previous versions. SACD was markedly better than the Gold CD.

Talking Book I've owned on cassette, LP, CD & Japan SHM-SACD.

Songs in the Key I've owned on 2 LP (w/45), 2 CD & BR-A.

I highly doubt that Music of My Mind (w/Superwoman) will be out anytime soon on SACD. In 2010, AF released a Gold CD. A few months ago, I bought a sealed Gold CD for $19.99. Perhaps it was from Music Direct. Obviously, it wasn't a huge seller on regular LP, CD or Gold CD. It is wonderful and I strongly recommend it for the best sounding version to date. I've played the Gold CD at least a dozen times and a/b'ed it to Motown's original CD release. I've owned this on LP (x2), CD & Gold CD. This was the album released just before Talking Book. It is ALL Stevie, except for a guest musician on two tracks. The music is great and moves into the direction of what came after.

Love Haviing You Around:

Regarding Jefferson Airplane:

I bought the SACD of Volunteers and it is the best fidelity of any version so far. Still, I prefer to listen on the CD-4 LP I received a promo of back in the day. I've owned Volunteers on CD-4 LP, CD, Expanded CD, MoFi Gold CD and CD (no bonus tracks) in 10-CD Columbia Woodstock Experience box. Gold CD comes closest to SACD in sound quality.

The Woodstock Experience box includes each act's complete live set from Woodstock plus 1969 studio albums from JA, Santana, Sly, Johnny Winter & Janis Joplin. Each was also sold as a 2 CD individual version.

Surrealistic Pillow is a great album, perhaps JA's best. I've owned it on LP, German CD, expanded CD & RCA Gold CD (includes 2ch & mono mixes). I've been debating for months about buying the mono SACD. The Gold CD sounds pretty damn good and includes the 2ch version, which I prefer to listen to.

SP was recorded in '66 by a band that did one great album (Takes Off) that sold marginally, at best. After that, Signe Anderson, the girl singer and Skip Spence, drummer left. Signe to have a baby and Skip to start Moby Grape. Sometime around then, Matthew Katz their manager left, as well. Although SP is recorded pretty well for its' time, RCA was not going to devote the maximum tracks which their studios could record on something that might not sell by a group of five people.

I'd love to see ALL the JA & Jefferson Starship Quads re-released on multi-channel SACD's. I'd be first in line for those and the solo Quads, including Hot Tuna.

Last edited:
Although SP is recorded pretty well for its' time, RCA was not going to devote the maximum tracks which their studios could record on something that might not sell by a group of five people.

The MoFi mono SACD you are on the fence about has one redeeming feature over the Gold CD: it is missing the "recorded under the swimming pool" reverb! It is a different mix, as well (um, yeah, of course, I suppose, but some elements pop out more than others).

I'd love to see ALL the JA & Jefferson Starship Quads re-released on multi-channel SACD's. I'd be first in line for those and the solo Quads, including Hot Tuna.

You'll have to beat me there to be first :sneaky: Great info on the releases: did not know about the Woodstock Experience box! JA's entire live show at Woodstock is in surround on a Woodstock anniversary blu ray video . . . ambient, but interesting. [edit: the British release, although I'll have to double-check it is the entire show, which I have on several bootlegs and may be confusing!]

Last edited:
Got this one in recently, and it's the best I've ever heard the Pretenders sound - MFSL SACD. Just incredible clarity. Only wish their album "Get Close" had gotten this kind of treatment; and some kind of Pretenders album gotten a quality surround release!

Most unfortunately, not all of Dutton Vocalion's SACDs are QUAD but D~V has released some exceptional sounding Stereo SACDs from the GRP/ARISTA labels and this is one of them:

81j41WWWYmL._SL1429_.jpg

Dave Valentin - In Love's Time & bonus tracks [SACD Hybrid Stereo]

Most unfortunately, not all of Dutton Vocalion's SACDs are QUAD but D~V has released some exceptional sounding Stereo SACDs from the GRP/ARISTA labels and this is one of them:

81j41WWWYmL._SL1429_.jpg

Dave Valentin - In Love's Time & bonus tracks [SACD Hybrid Stereo]
Yes, I have the Angela Bofill stereo twofer and it too sounds great. The music is a little dated but that’s a good thing because it brings you back to that era. Interestingly, Angela Bofill was auditioned in part because she had the good fortune of being Valentin’s girlfriend at the time. Of course, she also had the musical talent!

Back