Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
15363345427821327070911.jpg

Look at me sending pic...fort I'd join the tradition of show us your's!!

EWF=Gratitude SACD..

Funny cause I remember this sounding brighter in my Pioneer/JBL system in Madrid but I recorded a sample in 96/24 and found out it had a cutoff at 22K or so...and with my Marantz/Polk Audio I can hear it as it probably is.. doesn't tickle my cillia.. but it's a great disc!!

The Alan Parsons Project Eye in the Sky DTS-HD MA 5.1 96k Blu-ray Disc: Arrived the other day, just now have a chance to give it a spin. So far, so good. Nice use of the surrounds, plenty of low end, crisp vocals and a generally full sounding disc.

Ummm.. it's Alan Parsons we are talkin' bout, Willis...it's a goddamn awesome MCH experience... AAMOF, I might play this later...

An interesting change of pace in DSD 256 Surround Sound. A full military band in Surround Sound!
Rimsky & Co Originals with the Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy. (DSD Exclusive, Not on SACD release).

5 - Rimsky and Co - 40818 - 450.jpg

Early DSD Stereo & Surround Sound Release!

The Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy brings their fifth DSD Stereo and Multichannel release to the NativeDSD Music store this week. Following their DSD Stereo & DSD Surround Sound recordings of When The Swing Marches On, Plays Sammy Nestico, Letter From Home and Semper Luvenalis on the Aliud label, they have joined Channel Classics with Rimsky & Co Originals.

This is an early release – coming 3 weeks ahead of the date of the Stereo CD edition of the album. It’s available exclusively at NativeDSD Music and is not available on SACD. But it is at the NativeDSD Music store today in Stereo and Multichannel DSD 256, DSD 128, DSD 64 and DXD.

Producer and Recording Engineer Jared Sacks also encourages NativeDSD listeners to "Keep an eye out for future releases with the Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy." That sounds like a very intriguing clue as to what is to come in DSD.

Channel Classics says "As early as the 17th century in the days of Fleet Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, one of the initiators of the Netherlands Marine Corps, music has played an important role in the navy. Transforming from ships’ bands and ensembles into a land-based full-sized orchestra ashore, the Marine Band turned into the all-around musical ambassador of the Royal Netherlands Navy.

The Marine Band of the Royal Netherlands Navy developed an appreciation for Russia and the music of her great composers. As part of the celebrations of 300 years Peter the Great and the jubilee of the city, concert tours to St. Petersburg were made in 1997 and 2003. In 2009 the branch of the Hermitage in Amsterdam was opened with a concert and attended by Queen Beatrix and President Medvedev."

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/40818-rimsky-and-co-originals
https://aliud.nativedsd.com/albums/ACDBA090-2-letter-from-home
https://aliud.nativedsd.com/albums/...he-royal-netherlands-navy-plays-sammy-nestico
https://aliud.nativedsd.com/albums/acdbl0862semper-iuvenalis
https://aliud.nativedsd.com/albums/ACDBR077-2-when-the-swing-marches-on

Also on last night's bill of fare,

Some Steely Dan........, had to hear "Jack Of Speed " , cool horns !!

Steely Dan -Two Against Nature. DVDAView attachment 34692
I need to revisit this album... for some reason it’s the only Dan album I don’t ever listen to... time to try again!

Since it seems we will never get ELO in surround...I decided to dig out my ZOOM DVD and rip the audio to my library. The DTS layer was only 5.0, so I opted for the DD 5.1. Both are only 46/24, so no worries there. AT last now, I will be able to more often hear some ELO in surround.... Of course, this is live as you all know...but you also know that Lynne isn't so chatty...so it's really mostly all music with no filler. :)

I need to revisit this album... for some reason it’s the only Dan album I don’t ever listen to... time to try again!

I love this album fwiw. It has for me, two standout tracks " Jack Of Speed " and " Cousin Dupree " and of course an excellent surround mix.
Sometimes I'll yank out their live two against dvd-dts and compare surround and performance of those tracks.
To me both the live DVD and studio sound DVDA surround mixes are must owns.

Since it seems we will never get ELO in surround...I decided to dig out my ZOOM DVD and rip the audio to my library. The DTS layer was only 5.0, so I opted for the DD 5.1. Both are only 46/24, so no worries there. AT last now, I will be able to more often hear some ELO in surround.... Of course, this is live as you all know...but you also know that Lynne isn't so chatty...so it's really mostly all music with no filler. :)

For surround this DVD is top notch , but for some reason I prefer the Early Years DVD as you catch ELO at their pinnacle years . Surround is not that great , but the performances are superior . (at least for me anyways).

Going to have to spin " Zoom Tour "again though . Been awhile . :) :)

Reactions: GOS
Back