Prince / Sign ‘O’ The Times - Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D 11.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhmmm, I'm curious about this one but not so familiar with Prince. What can I expect? A movie with its soundtrack mixed in Atmos? Or more a collection of songs with accompanying images? I mean, can the music be heard without the pictures?

'Fans around the world should note that this product is locked to region 2 (DVD) or B for blu-ray. This a licensing restriction."

Joy. While I think my OPPO would still play it, this is annoying.

Wow! I need to get with the TIMES! How on earth do you know about new threads? Is there a setting I should change? Peace
I use What's new -> New posts or Latest activity to keep up, don't you?
As for the TIMES, I want it to be a good stuff sooo much, that I'll wait until there's some valid intel on who (and how) did the Atmos/Auro mixes before it is added to the list.

I use What's new -> New posts or Latest activity to keep up, don't you?
As for the TIMES, I want it to be a good stuff sooo much, that I'll wait until there's some valid intel on who (and how) did the Atmos/Auro mixes before it is added to the list.
Wow. No-brainer! So much to learn! I mostly look at the surround polls and do searches for discs and artists I'm interested in. In my searches, I have come across threads that are interesting/intriguing and I sign up to "watch" those threads. For instance, when I found Mike's YouTube channel, I just did a search here and signed up to watch his thread. Now I'm watching that TIMES thread, too! And I mos' def' hear you about waiting patiently to hear in the hopes that I will be able to hear some great surround! Thanks and peace! For those keeping score, I'm on page14 of my research paper!

Last edited:
Wow! I need to get with the TIMES! How on earth do you know about new threads? Is there a setting I should change? Peace

Sorry I didn't get back to you...I hate it when "real world" stuff gets in the way of our hobby....but you got the same advice I would have given...just use the "what's new" tab and you are good to go(y)

42826_front.jpg

I bought this two years ago from CDJapan and enjoyed it immensely. And with s/h it was about $40 so the remaster with Dolby Atmos/Auro 3D and the extra discs are very well priced.
Add to collection

Last edited:
I purchased this Blu Ray version from Japan a few years ago with a purported DTS HD MA 5.1 mix. It almost sounds like a mono source matrixed into 5.1 - certainly not discrete and if pressed I would say it sucks! Which is a shame because the live performances are stunning. There are a few “vignettes” which are mainly self indulgent - but it’s Prince. The Prince family trust is notoriously stingy with any legitimate licensing of its content and I would be extremely suspect of any new release that is region coded. But who knows?

This German article states that the two new mixes were actually created separately (Google translate):
Christian Bartsch, Technical Manager at Turbine Media, announced that for the remixes not just a 3D sound mix was made and then encoded in the two formats. Rather, they gave the Atmos remix to the CSC studios in Hamburg, who were already responsible for the Atmos soundtrack of the long version of Blues Brothers - and had received much praise for it.

The Auro-3D mix again took over the Galaxy Studios in Belgium, where at that time Auro-3D under the direction of Wilfried van Baelen was created. In that regard, Turbine Media is sure that the optimum in the case of Auro-3D has been teased out here.

I’ll maintain a healthy level of skepticism until it is reviewed

Same here. I seriously doubt this release is sanctioned by the Prince estate. If it was, it would most likely be getting a global release. And without the estate's involvement, I can't imagine that access to the multi-tracks was allowed to create the surround mix for this release. It's a shame because the performances in this film are pretty amazing.

However, it's still very early days regarding Prince reissues. Sign 'o' the Times is one of his most celebrated albums. I have to think that some sort of deluxe set will be released within the next few years. It would make sense to have the film in any deluxe set for the album.

just saw a broadcast of this on Flix and it was 3.1?

very weird, I've never received a 3.1 broadcast.

I think it's a sign from the Purple Jesus himself, Prince. :censored:

anyway, sounded great

EDIT: Actually pioneer AV5 reports it as 3.0

even weirder, just like you Prince

Last edited:
Back