Vintage Ads for Quad Equipment

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
August 22nd...my birthday!!!!(the Milwaukee Sentinel)
And what's with the "Batman" reference (Gotham City?)
And ..holy cow, Robin; $800 for a Revox??? That's like 5K nowadays!(but ultimately worth it...all of the Revox 2 tracks-or anything else- are built like Tonka trucks!)
I also agree with the statement that a Piano in Quad is not ...well, Quad material!
Thanks for the trip down memory lane...I went back to my childhood with those Kmart ads....

Lots of Quad and stereo gear depicted that I owned and sold. Front loading cassettes were still a couple years away. Two of my three cassette decks are top loaders. One was introduced the next year, Sony TC 152, a revolutionary portable that was a true deck w/Dolby B and a speaker that could monitor L/R/composite. It worked on AC and batteries and is still a great on location recorder w/a shoulder strap. We had one in our store before they were available for sale. My other top loader is listed in those ads, Sony TC 161SD. Gear listed in these ads that I have owned or currently own:

Marantz Imperial 5G (my first Quad speakers)
Teac 3340
Cornell-Dubilier Antenna Rotor (we could watch Chicago, Milwaukee, Rockford, Madison, and St. Joseph, MI) antenna was on a hill on a 50 ft tower
Teac 450 cassette (top load w/ front controls)
Sony TC161SD cassette
h/k Citation 11 Preamp
Pioneer PL-A35 Turntable
Tandberg 3300 Reel
Teac 3300 Reel
Marantz 2440 Quad Adaptor
Sony SQD-2020 (in Ocala ad)

The memories are vast. I sold half the bona-fide hi-fi gear shown. Nearly every big dealer became a client a few years later, and a few small ones, too. Most dealers listed are out of business. A few individuals interviewed and depicted are now deceased. Those truly were the days!

Linda:

Thanks for memories! I had forgotten about those first generation "top load" cassette decks.

Justin

PS Flanner's still exists in Milwaukee. Loved visiting Flanner & Hafsoos in Mayfair Mall. And if you multiply the prices by about 5.25, you will get close to today's dollar.

Flanner's moved west on Bluemound in Brookfiled. Recently, they moved in with Colder's on Hwy 100 on West Allis. Thye also have a second store in Grafton. www.flanners.com

Don't know if you've been to Mayfair lately, likely you have. They enclosed it in '75, and then added a second level a few years ago. Pages 34-54 are grand opening ads from 10/8/58 for Mayfair: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=jvrRlaHg2sAC&dat=19581008&printsec=frontpage&hl=en Flanner & Hafsoos moved to Mayfair in 1960.

PS Flanner's still exists in Milwaukee. Loved visiting Flanner & Hafsoos in Mayfair Mall. And if you multiply the prices by about 5.25, you will get close to today's dollar.

Thanks - I might have been there for the opening, but I don't specifically remember(too young). My mom worked at Gimbels-Mayfair. Just fun to read old headlines like: "Shift on Marriage Stand is Urged - Procreation Would Not Necessarily Be Primary Purpose, Episcopalians Told" :banana:

Full page ad for Panasonic Q8's, RS 858US and RS 847 US (which I own): quad_ad1.jpg

Back