44 years since Woodstock today

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevitalone1

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
It was 44 yrs ago already! I was 18 and in the Army in Germany when I heard about it. When I came home I saw the whole country had changed. It was all because of Woodstock. Man I'm getting up there!

I was -6 and thus have even more catching up to do :smokin

Anyone have the scheduling for the weekend? I reckon I have most of the cuts that survive from the festival - what with all the compilation CDs, DVDs and Blurays, maybe I can play 'em all in order!

I will, however, be avoiding the not-specifically-good brown acid

Last edited:
I was 16 and two of my friends and I wanted to go in my (well, actually my dad's) 1950 Ford pickup but higher powers put the kibosh to that idea :D

The Tate/LaBianca murders had already occured and that was the first sign to America that the so-called peace and love hippie movement was anything but as evil had infiltrated it in just a few short years.

The second event to that end was Altamont which had yet to occur.

The country had indeed changed but not all for the good.

Oh, and more to the subject, I have always loved the original 3 record soundtrack of Woodstock and I bought it at a Red Owl grocery store in my hometown. Almost every kind of retail establishment sold records in those days.

Doug

I was 16 and two of my friends and I wanted to go in my (well, actually my dad's) 1950 Ford pickup but higher powers put the kibosh to that idea :D

The Tate/LaBianca murders had already occured and that was the first sign to America that the so-called peace and love hippie movement was anything but as evil had infiltrated it in just a few short years.

The second event to that end was Altamont which had yet to occur.

The country had indeed changed but not all for the good.

Oh, and more to the subject, I have always loved the original 3 record soundtrack of Woodstock and I bought it at a Red Owl grocery store in my hometown. Almost every kind of retail establishment sold records in those days.

Doug

I also had the lp's. I went to see the movie and it changed me. I was fresh out of service and striaght as an arrow, after that movie, and a little experimenting with what was very popular then, (illegal substance) I swear that pill was so little I never thought it would do what it did. :smokin And I was no longer the same person. Belive me, it was all for the better! :sun

The worst part is I have become my parents man I'm an old fart!:yikes

You know, if all the people who claimed to go, really went-it would have been so much bigger. It's kinda like the viet nam wanna bees, who claim they went, and when you toss real nam slang at them it always calls them out. I didn't go-but we used to watch the planes going from McGuire AFB, all day and night long from Ft Dix.

I also didn't go to Viet Nam. My "lottery" number was 61 (OK, I looked it up and it was actually 76 and the highest number they called for draft was 95 out of that group), I believe, so I was guaranteed to be drafted which I was. I went up for my draft physical in 1972 and was ready to accept my fate. I got on the scale and the guy says, "You're two pounds underweight" and I thought they wouldn't care about that.

When I got to the final consultation with a doctor, he said the same thing only with an added phrase, "You're two pounds underweight and, therefore, inelligible for military service." It really was hard to believe.

Anyway, as it turns out, in other times, they may have ignored the two pound shortcoming but, unbeknownst to us, they were already scaling down the efforts in 'Nam so they only took the "perfect" candidates. I had a friend, born on the same day as me, accepted and he did go over. He has hated me ever since.

Doug

I also didn't go to Viet Nam. My "lottery" number was 61, I believe, so I was guaranteed to be drafted which I was. I went up for my draft physical in 1972 and was ready to accept my fate. I got on the scale and the guy says, "You're two pounds underweight" and I thought they wouldn't care about that.

When I got to the final consultation with a doctor, he said the same thing only with an added phrase, "You're two pounds underweight and, therefore, inelligible for military service." It really was hard to believe.

Anyway, as it turns out, in other times, they may have ignored the two pound shortcoming but, unbeknownst to us, they were already scaling down the efforts in 'Nam so they only took the "perfect" candidates. I had a friend, born on the same day as me, accepted and he did go over. He has hated me ever since.

Doug

WOW! I guess you were lucky! Me, I had what was called dik duty. I was assigned to a small unit in the middle east, and it was the duty guys dream about. You had to be in service to understand it. I was only a kid fresh out of HS, and enlisted to get my choice of job training, that avoided nam. I knew once I hit 18 I was gonna go anyway-so I did it on my terms, man did it ever pay off, even to this day with the benefits-free medical/ a pension, and more. I didn't relalize at the time how benificial it would be later on.

I actually had 2 3 day tickets and was going to take my girl friend up there (about 4 hours from me), but her mother would have no part of it! :) Remember, this was 1969.

Anyway, 1 of those tickets remain, and it's not one of the fakes in the Woodstock Blu-Ray, although it's pretty close. Anyway, the next year was supposed to be another "Woodstock" right here in Connecticut, at Powder Ridge. Lots of us went to that (sort of), but it never came off. All it did was make a mess of the Lyman Orchards in Middlebury. In the end, there was really nothing to go to there.

I actually had 2 3 day tickets and was going to take my girl friend up there (about 4 hours from me), but her mother would have no part of it! :) Remember, this was 1969.

Anyway, 1 of those tickets remain, and it's not one of the fakes in the Woodstock Blu-Ray, although it's pretty close. Anyway, the next year was supposed to be another "Woodstock" right here in Connecticut, at Powder Ridge. Lots of us went to that (sort of), but it never came off. All it did was make a mess of the Lyman Orchards in Middlebury. In the end, there was really nothing to go to there.

I'm 10 minutes away from Rome NY. We went up the last night, got in free and it was just when Chili Peppers was on. Saw the end, walked all over and then the fires started.

Back