QQ 20th Anniversary on July 9th!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious -- how many members here subscribed to the pre-internet quad newsletters Quadraphonic Quarterly, Multichannel Review and Quadtrade?
I missed Quadtrade (did that become Evolution? Then count me in there as well) but I was a subscriber and frequent contributor to the other 2! It seems quad/surround fans had a sense of kin ship back when they could only do it ink on paper. I see QQ as the latest incarnation of that sense of community.

Last edited:
Jon will always be #1 with me! Wait!! Make that #2, only behind my Husband. Sorry, Jon. "Missed it by THAT much" - Don Adams

Would you believe I've never been a part of a social networking site before here? Found QQ in'02. Visited a few times. Was way too busy to join this or any others.

Was barred by contract from joining public sites with minors because of facilitating 9 teen support groups for years. I could't have direct contact with our minors outside group, nor could any other employee or volunteer. Except at meetings and events. Even then, never facilitating teen groups alone. ANYONE!
Don't want to social network, because it wastes too much time.

Time at QQ is NOT A WASTE! In fact, it is the ONLY website that I'm active on now. That's how strong I feel about this place.

I belong to a few closed groups of non-profits and adult support groups I ran for years. Closed to any minors and/or non-members. Visit many of their boards and/or in person meetings on occasion. Too busy to be active again, though.

Joined a couple other audiophile groups after I joined here. Only posted on one other, and that was after being there 8 years!! Couldn't resist posting on a thread about Chicago record stores. Knew most of those places and their owners, as I was a customer of all for years. Many were customers of ours, too. Some personal friends.

I've got a Quadraphonic heart!

QQ member 7197 checking in. Happy Anniversary! I was a lurker for a year or two before posting on July 19, 2012. Traveling now, so I just have a minute to say hello. Have found my membership to be amazing, and certainly helped me to obtain and curate my collection. Thanks to Jon and all the mods past and present, and shout out close friend Private Universe! Rock on!

Just wanted to say sincerely how grateful I am for QQ and all of you. Not only have you helped me dig out of crossed-wires, jacked up settings, and alerted me to all kinds of releases that I would have missed otherwise, more importantly you've restored a bit of faith in humanity for me—and I truly mean that without hyperbole.

I work in digital, and even though it's my livelihood, I've seen a lot of the bad that the internet can do/has done—in general and to get personal for a moment, to my kids. I've sworn off being active on all other social media platforms except in a very sanitized, business-oriented way, and it has made my life a lot happier... but QQ remains an oasis where I can still show up as myself. Not an echo chamber where we all agree with one another unquestioningly, but a place where civil discourse can and actually does take place—around a hobby we're all passionate about. It's a little microcosm of how things can work with the right intent, core values, and make no mistake, moderation—tirelessly powered by stellar folks residing here. You are seen and appreciated.

it's a great time to be down this rabbit hole, with all o' you rascals.

:51QQ

Happy anniversary, QuadraphonicQuad! This forum definitely influenced my musical tastes and it's great! I want to thank John and all those involved for the creation and support of this wonderful community for so many years! Long live QQ!!!

After some discussion over on this other thread about 70's Quad radio stations

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-quadraphonic-information.34508/#post-706454
Made me think, what all you OG Quadies were thinking and doing during the dark Quad/Surround decades of the 1980s thru to around 2000, about it all?

Also, because there were probably little market places to pick up the old content like now; of places like - discogs, eBay, Amazon etc.

I'm feeling that this QQ forum would have been a real lifeline.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...r-quadraphonic-information.34508/#post-706454
Made me think, what all you OG Quadies were thinking and doing during the dark Quad/Surround decades of the 1980s thru to around 2000, about it all?

Also, because there were probably little market places to pick up the old content like now; of places like - discogs, eBay, Amazon etc.

Dreaming of surround. I remember being really exited when I spotted that Mike Oldfield's Exposed was in SQ, I duly bought it (Autumn of 1979, for £4.99) but had nothing to play it in Quad anymore :(. Then I became aware of SACD/DVD-Audio being muted as the next new thing, so when I could I started buying discs (most from Acoustic Sounds in the US & thus the import tax hit). Then come the end of 2001 I bought my first surround Yamaha Amp & with very small speakers; and that was the start of a whole new level of music madness!

Last edited:

Good little sidebar Mr. Pupster. Glad you mentioned it.

And you started by mentioning the 80's which was indeed the start of the Surround Sound Dark Ages. A few years after Star Wars came out the market was flooded with craptastic low dollar & low quality receivers all centered around playing original Dolby matrix surround. We went from high quality surround for music that could be simply used as is or slightly modified for Dolby video decoding. Now the Dolby receivers were of course hyped by salesman as being equally good for music as well as movies. Which it wasn't.

When I got married in '82 I already had a QSD-1 &Fosgate Tate 101A. On my honeymoon I brought back an Integrex Ambisonic decoder and added that. So I was pretty insulated from the hideous onslaught of audio for video.

I replaced the QSD-1 with a Sansui QSD-1000. Then several years later the Fosgate developed noisy everything and the Sansui crapped out. I set my sights on this new Angel of Audio called Dolby Pro Logic II. I did not want a receiver again so I bought one of the few DPL II stand alone units, the Tag McLaren AV32R

1689980864202.png

For about $4k I consider this my first real audiophile purchase. Alas it developed early Alzheimer's and as the company went kaput I purchased an Anthem pre-pro.

So I struggled by with DPL II, not happy with it, and that's what drove me to develop a method of upmixing on the PC that was like the Sansui QS Surround sound mode. Many mixes, still very happy many years later with what I did.

But a new resource came along & it is farther back than most of us remember: digital surround sound. Yup, about 1995. Many people opted for the Millennium DTS decoder & even tho I was drawn to it I also knew if I wanted to enjoy movies I needed Dolby AC-3 too. I purchased a Marantz AC-3 decoder that had been modified by a company called MSB with an add on DTS board. It worked perfectly. I had the best of both worlds. And for those not in the know, before DVD, Laserdisc had Dolby Digital surround replacing one of the two (stereo) analog chs. This wasn't SPDIF but RF AC-3 & demodulated to surround. Laserdisc was also capable of carrying DTS by replacing the 2 digital stereo chs, just like a DTS CD.

Alan Parsons' On Air DTS CD was the first music I ever heard in that format & it truly brought tears to my eyes. Not only was the music pretty good, the fidelity & surround mix was so clean & distinct it was something we could only dream about 10 years earlier.

And then came SACD, DVD-A, etc. Life is good. But the above is how I got through the Great Quad Depression.

Not much ebay in the 80s and most of the 90s, but there were record shows and antique shops and used record shows. I can’t say I picked up a lot of quad in those days. I do recall a few trips to record stores that hit three figures!

I had a job in the 90s that involved a LOT of travel, and on one of those trips I found Rasputin’s in Berkely, CA. Two stories of excellent quality records, and although their quads weren’t segregared, it was a blast going through the stacks every time I had a visit to Hayward. I started making sure that was the last stop on my tours so I didn’t have to arrange for special packing.

Back