5.2.2 vs. 5.2.4?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use mic stands if you can't mount on wall or ceiling?

One reason I never want a rental.

I just ordered four Klipsch wall mount height speakers to transform my 7.1 system to 5.1.4. They seem like the best available match to the 7 Infinity speakers I have now, but do they do have more bass so I decided to get a matched set for the ceiling plus I have two more if turn it up to 11. Decided against putting them in the ceiling because they are harder to install and also can't be relocated somewhere else.

I still need to latch on to a new receiver, but I keep oscillating between the Yamaha rx-a6a and the two Denons that have slightly less power for a little less money. All of them have 11 channel processing so I can still do 7.1. 4by adding an amp.

I have another unmatched subwoofer that I'm not using; might try throwing that in for 5.2.4.

I just ordered four Klipsch wall mount height speakers to transform my 7.1 system to 5.1.4. They seem like the best available match to the 7 Infinity speakers I have now, but do they do have more bass so I decided to get a matched set for the ceiling plus I have two more if turn it up to 11. Decided against putting them in the ceiling because they are harder to install and also can't be relocated somewhere else.

I still need to latch on to a new receiver, but I keep oscillating between the Yamaha rx-a6a and the two Denons that have slightly less power for a little less money. All of them have 11 channel processing so I can still do 7.1. 4by adding an amp.

I have another unmatched subwoofer that I'm not using; might try throwing that in for 5.2.4.
4 Heights is definitely the way to go! 👍 👍 it sometimes feels to me like there's something missing or not quite panned right on certain material in 5.1.2 on the ATV on my system.. as soon as i go over to the Mac and play the same stuff in 7.1.4 = bazinga! that for me is True Atmos! 🤩🥰

also fwiw (there weren't any RXA6A's in stock at the time i wanted to go Atmos and it would've really been beyond my budget anyway) i got an RXA2A and even though i knew its channel deficiencies (5.1.2's the limit) and Room Correction shortcomings (it only has a more basic implementation of YPAO.) tbh in certain areas i wasn't expecting its also a step down from the Aventage Amps i'm used to (i've had 2 before) with no Parametric EQ and only v.basic GUI (really there's no Graphics in the User Interface, its all text! which i haven't had to endure on a Receiver in over 10 years!) so my 2p would be don't go any lower in the range for sure because not only will it not handle all the channels but also you'll be disappointed in various aspects of its performance!

4 Heights is definitely the way to go! 👍 👍 it sometimes feels to me like there's something missing or not quite panned right on certain material in 5.1.2 on the ATV on my system.. as soon as i go over to the Mac and play the same stuff in 7.1.4 = bazinga! that for me is True Atmos! 🤩🥰

also fwiw (there weren't any RXA6A's in stock at the time i wanted to go Atmos and it would've really been beyond my budget anyway) i got an RXA2A and even though i knew its channel deficiencies (5.1.2's the limit) and Room Correction shortcomings (it only has a more basic implementation of YPAO.) tbh in certain areas i wasn't expecting its also a step down from the Aventage Amps i'm used to (i've had 2 before) with no Parametric EQ and only v.basic GUI (really there's no Graphics in the User Interface, its all text! which i haven't had to endure on a Receiver in over 10 years!) so my 2p would be don't go any lower in the range for sure because not only will it not handle all the channels but also you'll be disappointed in various aspects of its performance!
May I ask how you are able to play 7.1.4 through the mac?

May I ask how you are able to play 7.1.4 through the mac?
the various bits in the process include;

- the Apple Music app,
- 2 x Receivers,
- 4 extra Speakers,
- a MOTU Multichannel Audio Interface,
- Loopback app.

basically the 1st Receiver is setup in a 7.1 configuration with Surround Backs (as opposed to 5.1.2 w/Front Heights).

i do this to make room calibration and channel balancing easier (you can simply use auto setup on each Receiver for each set of Speakers and post-Audyssey/YPAO tweaking is simpler too).

then a 2nd Receiver is hooked upto 4 speakers as the 4 Heights.
(4 x RCAs go from the MOTU Output to the MultiCh Analogue Input).

the Loopback app (like an Audio Hijack type of software) is used to route 12 channels of hijacked Atmos audio in realtime from Apple Music to the combined 7.1 and 4.0 channels available across the 2 Receivers (7.1 in the digital/HDMI domain, 4.0 in analogue via the MOTU interface).

edit: the only mildly cumbersome/irksome thing (i guess) about this method is it requires 2 remotes since you have 2 sets of Receiver Master Volume to control. however with both Receivers level matched you just whack them both up or down to their relative levels (i have them calibrated so they're at the same relative level at a starting point of -40dB, with all channels balanced) and you're in clover 😋🥳

Last edited:

- the Apple Music app,
- 2 x Receivers,
- 4 extra Speakers,
- Loopback app.

basically the 1st Receiver is setup in a 7.1 configuration with Surround Backs (as opposed to 5.1.2 w/Front Heights).

i do this to make room calibration and channel balancing easier (you can simply use auto setup on each Receiver for each set of Speakers and post-Audyssey/YPAO tweaking is simpler too).

the Loopback app (like an Audio Hijack type of software) is used to route 12 channels of hijacked Atmos audio in realtime from Apple Music to the combined 7.1 and 4.0 channels available across the 2 Receivers (7.1 in the digital/HDMI domain, 4.0 in analogue via the MOTU interface).
To be honest I never understood anything you just wrote LOL, too complicated for me

- the Apple Music app,
- 2 x Receivers,
- 4 extra Speakers,
- Loopback app.

edit: the only mildly cumbersome/irksome thing (i guess) about this method is it requires 2 remotes since you have 2 sets of Receiver Master Volume to control. however with both Receivers level matched you just whack them both up or down to their relative levels (i have them calibrated so they're at the same relative level at a starting point of -40dB, with all channels balanced) and you're in clover 😋🥳
That's pretty neat!
My Onkyo only does 7.1 / 5.1.2. ...but even though I'm in a tight space, I'd still like to do 5.1.4.
I do have an older Sherwood AVR with 5.1 analog inputs, and my pc is connected via HDMI to my AVR.
Have not gave it a lot of thought but seems like something would be doable without a major cash outlay......I already have the speakers.

if i can do it, anybody can! 😂

its just extra speakers, a few more wires and an extra amp.. with a tiny bit of software voodoo on the Computer 💘
So to be clear...can you play Atmos as 5.1.4?

My goal would be to playback Atmos from the pc in 5.1.4...but the apps (PowerDVD/VLC) would have to see a unified interface that it thinks is 10 channel capable (maybe not now that I think about it). Being able to mix 10 channel in Audition, etc would be icing on the cake but no a deal changer. IDK just sort of thinking out loud here.

Last edited:
So to be clear...can you play Atmos as 5.1.4?

My goal would be to playback Atmos from the pc in 5.1.4...but the apps (PowerDVD/VLC) would have to see a unified interface that it thinks is 10 channel capable (maybe not now that I think about it). Being able to mix 10 channel in Audition, etc would be icing on the cake but no a deal changer. IDK just sort of thinking out loud here.
if i set the Atmos amp (Yamaha RXA2A) to 5.1 rather than 7.1, yes 🙂

the only Apps i've tried on Mac OS that work with this Frankenstein Atmos 7.1.4 setup so far are Apple Music and the Apple TV+ App.

Reactions: mkt
That's pretty neat!
My Onkyo only does 7.1 / 5.1.2. ...but even though I'm in a tight space, I'd still like to do 5.1.4.
I do have an older Sherwood AVR with 5.1 analog inputs, and my pc is connected via HDMI to my AVR.
Have not gave it a lot of thought but seems like something would be doable without a major cash outlay......I already have the speakers.
it is pretty cool! 🤩 though i can't take credit for it, it was all thanks to the help, advice, encouragement, arm-twisting and threats of violence by sjcorne 🤭😂

great!! 🥳 i think you've got everything you need to do it!

Jonathan will know what software makes it all work on a PC 🙂

- the Apple Music app,
- 2 x Receivers,
- 4 extra Speakers,
- Loopback app.

That sounds too convoluted for me. However, it does occur that I too have an old receiver that has multichannel inputs that could perhaps be pressed into service as a 5 channel amp. That shouldn't be hard at all with a receiver that has 11 channel preouts.

That sounds too convoluted for me. However, it does occur that I too have an old receiver that has multichannel inputs that could perhaps be pressed into service as a 5 channel amp. That shouldn't be hard at all with a receiver that has 11 channel preouts.
excellent! 🥳 let us know how you get on! 🙂

the only Apps i've tried on Mac OS that work with this Frankenstein Atmos 7.1.4 setup so far are Apple Music and the Apple TV+ App.
I am a fellow traveller on the atmos-on-Mac road (decoded on Mac & sent to 8-channel DAC & 5.1.2 active speakers). In addition to Apple Music and Apple TV, my uni has a subscription to this and I can stream atmos through safari.
https://help.berliner-philharmoniker.de/hc/en-us/articles/5419411247634I am thinking about what combo of wires, speakers, and boxes might get me to 5.1.4 🤔

OK, I did it. New Denon X3700H plus four old model Klipsch ceiling speakers that were heavily discounted. Total bill about $2300. After throwing another sub in that I had lying around, I'm currently sitting at 5.2.4. Getting to 7.2.4 will be next weeks project.

Starting off with xPropaganda. Sounds substantially different than my 5.2.2 system. Mostly sounds better, but the second voice on "Beauty is Truth" comes just from the back with by 5.2.2 but also comes from the front heights in 5.2.4. Maybe Eno will come today.

. Mostly sounds better, but the second voice on "Beauty is Truth" comes just from the back with by 5.2.2 but also comes from the front heights in 5.2.4.
In 7.1.4, the backing vocals throughout the xPropaganda albums are usually mixed to the side speakers and all four heights ("top middle") - so they image somewhere above ear level, but not completely up into the ceiling. It sounds interesting in pretty much any Atmos configuration (5.1.2, 5.1.4, etc).

You'll want to get those sides set up for Eno, all the lead vocals are in them.

In 7.1.4, the backing vocals throughout the xPropaganda albums are usually mixed to the side speakers and all four heights ("top middle") - so they image somewhere above ear level, but not completely up into the ceiling. It sounds interesting in pretty much any Atmos configuration (5.1.2, 5.1.4, etc).

You'll want to get those sides set up for Eno, all the lead vocals are in them.
I got a sense listening to Eno last night in 5.1 that there might be all sorts of "inside the room" type spatial objects floating through the room in a 7.1.4 setup, is that how it sounds to you?

I got a sense listening to Eno last night in 5.1 that there might be all sorts of "inside the room" type spatial objects floating through the room in a 7.1.4 setup, is that how it sounds to you?
Eno's in the middle of the room, while the various synth layers are positioned all around and above in a sort of 'dome' of sound. It's hard to pick out exactly what's happening where because of the nature of the music, but it sounds massive.

Back