SPOTLIGHT 6 Vocalion Surround SACD Releases - Argent, Blood, Sweat & Tears, BW Stevenson, Guess Who, Buddy Miles & Santana, Don Sebesky (Dec 2019)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

Well gang, are yoooouuuuu rrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeaaadddddyyyyyyyyy?????????????
1576601916130.png

Edit: 1 day later 3 just became 6!
1576671963532.png

Last edited:
The Buddy Miles is an insta-buy. Although it's kind of frustrating that out of all the Santana-related quads, we still are seeing only the bottom level ones (I know, never look a gift horse in the mouth etc).
Sorry to say that I'm not very excited by another Guess Who release, but I'm happy they are still bringing product out!

The Buddy Miles is an insta-buy. Although it's kind of frustrating that out of all the Santana-related quads, we still are seeing only the bottom level ones (I know, never look a gift horse in the mouth etc).
Sorry to say that I'm not very excited by another Guess Who release, but I'm happy they are still bringing product out!

I'm with you. I am not a big fan of early Guess Who stuff, but it is nice to see titles being released regularly.
In my opinion, 'American Woman' and 'Share the Land' are their best albums, and it is great to see them sell out.

Nice! Definitely in for all three popular titles. I'm glad they're continuing with the Guess Who, especially since these titles were Q8-only with no vinyl counterpart. I really like the version of "No Time" on Canned Wheat - it's a bit less polished and more psychedelic than the hit version.

It's been a while since I've heard the Santana & Buddy Miles, but I remember it being a very discrete quad mix (as one would expect from Columbia) despite it being a live recording. I think they made an interesting choice paring it with Booger Bear, as there is another Buddy Miles solo quad (Chapter VII), but I'm not complaining.

Finally, I've never heard either B.W. Stevenson title - but I'm in to support the cause. Interestingly enough, My Maria was only released on Q8 in Canada, so it's nice to see a formerly rare Q8-only title get the hi-res treatment. Long live D-V!

Nice! Definitely in for all three popular titles. I'm glad they're continuing with the Guess Who, especially since these titles were Q8-only with no vinyl counterpart. I really like the version of "No Time" on Canned Wheat - it's a bit less polished and more psychedelic than the hit version.

It's been a while since I've heard the Santana & Buddy Miles, but I remember it being a very discrete quad mix (as one would expect from Columbia) despite it being a live recording. I think they made an interesting choice paring it with Booger Bear, as there is another Buddy Miles solo quad (Chapter VII), but I'm not complaining.

Finally, I've never heard either B.W. Stevenson title - but I'm in to support the cause. Interestingly enough, My Maria was only released on Q8 in Canada, so it's nice to see a formerly rare Q8-only title get the hi-res treatment. Long live D-V!

A sealed Q8 of Buddy Miles Express Booger Bear is currently going for $90 [+$6.50 p/h + tax] @ AmazonUS https://www.amazon.com/BUDDY-MILES-...er+bear&qid=1576606992&s=music&sr=1-1-catcorr

I've heard both of these (conversions), and I'm not too crazy about the Booger Bear, but I'm more interested in the Live title (content), and to see how it sounds. But sure, gotta get 'em all :love:

I've heard both of these (conversions), and I'm not too crazy about the Booger Bear, but I'm more interested in the Live title (content), and to see how it sounds. But sure, gotta get 'em all :love:

I'm with you on the Booger Bear ...... but unfortunately, you can't have one without the other [Santana/Buddy Miles LIVE] on this D~V 2 SACD set!

Booger Bear used to be the most frequent quad title in the 8-track cut outs back in the late '70s. I remember seeing an entire rack of them at a Woolco once. Never warmed up to that one.

But the B.W.Stevenson is a must have for every quad collector and fan, as the title with the hit single was only available for a very short time on a Q8 in Canada. Not sure why, but his other album that was also released on CD-4 did not have a chart topper on it.

So, what are you waiting for? Go forth and git! :)

I'm with you on the Booger Bear ...... but unfortunately, you can't have one without the other [Santana/Buddy Miles LIVE] on this D~V 2 SACD set!
Well gosh, if I haaaave to get a bonus Hi-Def Quad, meticulously and lovingly mastered by Michael J. Dutton; all for a ridiculously low price then go ahead and twist my arm some more :rolleyes:

it never really grabbed me on SQ and i never got round to playing the Q8 before my Akai went kaput but whatdyaknow i pulled out the SQ LP the other week and i enjoyed it way more than i ever remembered! it sort of rattled along like an old banger! 🎉

edit:
(Booger Bear, that is!)

Last edited:
Well gosh, if I haaaave to get a bonus Hi-Def Quad, meticulously and lovingly mastered by Michael J. Dutton; all for a ridiculously low price then go ahead and twist my arm some more :rolleyes:

well i'm not looking a gift bear in the horses' mouth, Pup!!! woof woof!! 😘

(this post sponsored by Tanqueray Gin! 🍸 🤩

i never warmed to it and i never got round to playing my Q8 before the Akai went kaput but i pulled out the SQ LP the other week and i enjoyed it more than i ever remembered! it sort of rattled along like an old banger! 🎉

edit:
(Booger Bear, that is!)

"If you say so, Adam" [quote the Pupster nevermore] Just Grin:D and Bear🐻 it!

See the source image

Last edited:
Booger Bear used to be the most frequent quad title in the 8-track cut outs back in the late '70s. I remember seeing an entire rack of them at a Woolco once. Never warmed up to that one.

But the B.W.Stevenson is a must have for every quad collector and fan, as the title with the hit single was only available for a very short time on a Q8 in Canada. Not sure why, but his other album that was also released on CD-4 did not have a chart topper on it.

So, what are you waiting for? Go forth and git! :)

My Maria's the rare tape with the hit, Calabasas is the common one with no hit! 🤷‍♀️
and yet.. i really enjoyed the Calabasas Quad! its terrific but soooo overlooked! 🧐
looking forward to hearing it free from its CD-4 vinyl chains 🥰
i suspect our man Q-Eight will be happy! he has remarked about the B W Stevenson Quads on here in posts gone by! roll on Christmas!! 🥳

has anybody noticed the lack of info update at the head of DV's website? its still a trawl through resulting in some Classical music 🤔
or the lack of announcement on DV's Facebook? 🧐
hmm.. now i wonder if there is more to come.. but the elves have been slacking after one too many mince pies, the cheeky wee scamps!! 🍻

Back