ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Trip soundtrack, too.

Met Nick Gravenites a couple years ago. It was a show featuring Nick w/Barry Goldberg, Harvey Mandel, Corky Siegel, Sugar Blue, etc al. Al who?

Went to grade school with Nick's Cousin.

Now you've really sent me to the WayBack Machine.
I have a solid memory of seeing the Miller-Goldberg Blues Band on Hullaballoo when I was 12.

Fifty-five years later, you can find anything on YT.:rocks :phones
Little Stevie Miller sporting a maple-neck Tele and Beatle haircut, and drummer Maurice McKinley apparently the adult in the band.

American Blues Journalism, 1920s-70s: Part 38

goldberg-miller-blues-band-1965.jpg

For $150, he could get a cheap amp and bookshelf speakers. The rear would sound so crappy 😩 that he'd have no problem differentiating between front and rear even in 5ch stereo mode.
He might have $150 in his petty cash drawer. Recordings released in double stereo would sound especially bad with cheap surround add ins. And then the vocals coming from the center channel of a bona fide surround mix would be even more excruciating.

Some people still think surround music is a gimmick. Hell, it's only been around for 50 years!!

I am impressed with a 9k collection.

After 64 years of collecting, I do have him beat. I have 20k CD's, 1k of various Surround formats and 5k LP's.

Spirit is in my 5 favorite acts. If you haven't heard them, you're missing something exceptional!
“The Family That Plays Together” is my favorite Spirit album, probably because it was the first album of theirs that I’d ever heard.

I love the story of how Randy California got his name.

One could argue that, when he played with the band, Randy always had a chaperone.

Not sure it fits here I'm listening to the 27 minute German TV improv extra on the Larks Tongue in Aspic DVDA.
It is video. Stereo only.

Hey Gos is that the John Gilmore who played with Sun Ra?
I read he rarely played outside of that group.

QL knows that it is the same John Gilmore who was with Herman "Sonny " Blount, aka 🌞 Sun Ra.

I bought the AP SACD of that album. Recommended

Gilmore took the reins of Sun Ra's band after Blount passed. Marshall Allen led the band after Gilmore's passing.

I heard Gilmore live twice w/Sun Ra's band, both before and after Sun 🌞 Ra left us.

Over 20 years ago my wife talked me into buying tickets for a series of concerts to be performed at an upscale Boston theatre. That’s how I became fortunate enough to catch Sun Ra and his Solar Arkestra live, with Sun Ra himself at the helm. What a blessing that was. My favorite tee shirt reads, “I may be old but I got to see all of the cool bands.” Well, a lot of the cool bands anyway.

Today's elliptical accompaniment was a throwback to those heady daze when i would bump MF Doom in my classroom during lunch periods and all the rap whiz kids would freestyle in two-minute bursts brining me head shaking smiles as they worked to quench my thirst for their mad rhyming skills--they were so damn good i could never get my fill, but those hip hop heads and their verbal pyrotechnic shreds taught me more than i could ever have dreamed of teaching them--MF Doom will rise again . . . Rap In Peace, Comrade!
1609559332618.png
MF DOOM Special Herbs The Box Set Vol.0-9

https://www.allmusic.com/album/special-herbs-the-box-set-mw0000534406

Back