ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1616541189174.png

So like most kids in 1976, I was really grooving on Frampton Comes Alive. But then came the double whammy of I'm in You and the Sgt. Pepper movie, and I never gave Frampton another glance. So I am really pleasantly surprised by the two cuts I've heard from his forthcoming all-instrumental covers album. These are really sweet. His playing is beautiful.

So like most kids in 1976, I was really grooving on Frampton Comes Alive. But then came the double whammy of I'm in You and the Sgt. Pepper movie, and I never gave Frampton another glance. So I am really pleasantly surprised by the two cuts I've heard from his forthcoming all-instrumental covers album. These are really sweet. His playing is beautiful.

Reminds me of this concert tour with Bowie (Glass Spider) from 1987 on DVD (2007); surprised to see David Bowie credited with the 5.1 mix. I'll need to check my copy to see what it says about that. I don't remember the mix being anything special.
But Frampton does a great job on guitar on that tour. Too bad the video quality is lousy though.

Some details about the tour makes for an interesting read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_Spider_Tour
https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Glass-Spider/release/2613919

Pretty sure Kirk is playing "Greeny" the almost $2M 59' Les Paul guitar he bought in 2014. Originally owned by Peter Green and used on a lot of Fleetwood Mac recordings [including "The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown)"] and later sold to Garry Moore and used on some of his iconic recordings.

It has a slight out-of phase sound due to one of the pickups being magnetically out of phase. Kirk's sound on this solo has a lot of "click" and "slide screech" sounds to it (I'm thinking it's due to his long fingernails.) But hey, it's all wonderful stuff in my book!

Even if the surround mix is non-parte; I'll be getting this one.

Pretty sure Kirk is playing "Greeny" the almost $2M 59' Les Paul guitar he bought in 2014. Originally owned by Peter Green and used on a lot of Fleetwood Mac recordings [including "The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown)"] and later sold to Garry Moore and used on some of his iconic recordings.

It has a slight out-of phase sound due to one of the pickups being magnetically out of phase. Kirk's sound on this solo has a lot of "click" and "slide screech" sounds to it (I'm thinking it's due to his long fingernails.) But hey, it's all wonderful stuff in my book!

Even if the surround mix is non-parte; I'll be getting this one.
Me too! I had forgotten about it....need to locate the pre-order

I had a strange feeling today in the car...an emptiness came over me while listening to Limelight....it hit me....RUSH has been gone since 2015...could it be that long....yes they waited until 2018 to make their retirement official...but for all practical purposes they departed in 2015....and then Neil died last January....and with him any remote chance of ever getting the band back together for some public performances was ended....

Now that I'm thinking of that period without RUSH....I am sensitive to the absence of talk about them on the forum....no talk about any upcoming music releases...nothing about them at all....it's like they have been wiped from my memory....the kind of finality that smacks you in the face and you realize that something you loved is gone and isn't coming back...

I remember telling Gos in 2013 that the DOORS would fade from our consciousness without Ray Manzarek...who died in May of 2013...Ray kept The Doors alive with numerous events and kept the band in our thoughts...and the Doors just disappeared after Ray was gone..

Rush was special...you could see different generations of families going to the concerts together...Dads and Sons and Grandfathers...just 3 members in a band that produced such a powerful sound....

I guess looking at how fast 2013 and 2015 flew by.... is scary in it's own right....

Back