All YES Steven Wilson BR Expanded Editions

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audio Fidelity did GFTO in stereo
I recall being unimpressed, maybe there wasn’t a master for them to use if tapes are missing?

Luckily I got all these before the prices started going crazy. Almost didn't get Tales and Relayer but when I noticed they were starting to disappear from the usual retail channels I decided to try and complete the set and ended up importing those two from the UK as they were still available there at the time. Hopefully someday they find the missing tapes for Going For The One so it can also be remixed. Being honest though I haven't really been able to get into Going For The One but it has been a while since I listened to it so maybe I should give it another chance instead of listening to Close To The Edge on repeat.

Audio Fidelity did GFTO in stereo
I recall being unimpressed, maybe there wasn’t a master for them to use if tapes are missing?
Different tapes. Audio Fidelity would have used the stereo mixdown master tape. For a surround remix, the multitrack masters are needed. And Going For The One has some odd production/mixing choices that affect its tonality in a negative way. Couldn't be mastered away.

Different tapes. Audio Fidelity would have used the stereo mixdown master tape. For a surround remix, the multitrack masters are needed. And Going For The One has some odd production/mixing choices that affect its tonality in a negative way. Couldn't be mastered away.
Can you explain the odd production/mixing choices? Or is there a link with an article about it you can share?

Just ordered The Yes Album Blu ray under $30 on Amazon, also available on ebay. I guess they made up a new batch.

These, like the XTC titles, are all worth owning simply for the plethora of extras. And of course the surround mixes are great.. Even something like Relayer, which is a gigantic mess, gets cleaned up enough in the new mixes to be considered a vast improvement.

My favorite of all the SW Yes surround mixes is Tales, though, and it isn't even really close. The fidelity on those tracks is the best, and it really benefits from the surround treatment due to its density.

Currently kicking myself as all of the XTC reissues seem to be back in stock as well. Ordered Oranges & Lemons for 15.99 but I literally just received Psurroundabout Ride the other day, got it for 100. Sigh. Might have to cave and get Nonsuch as I only own the DVD-A.

Strange EQ/phase (maybe stereo spread?) used. Easily audible if you know what to listen for.

I heard they changed engineers mid production, and mistakenly used the wrong Dolby(?) noise reduction for playback afterwards. So theoretically, it could be corrected if they went back to the multitracks? But I could be wrong.

I heard they changed engineers mid production, and mistakenly used the wrong Dolby(?) noise reduction for playback afterwards. So theoretically, it could be corrected if they went back to the multitracks? But I could be wrong.

You're thinking of Tormato, not Going for the One. Tormato production began with Eddy Offord, who always used Dolby A, but whoever took over from him seems not to have known that, according to Brian Kehew, who mixed the bonus tracks included on one of the several Tormato reissues.

The multitracks for the Tormato non bonus tracks seem to be missing, as is the case for Going for the One...or maybe no one really cares to find them ;>

Last edited:
Back