Anathema - Universal Live CD/DVD and Blu-Ray out in September 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 5.1 would be a huge disappointment! There is no mention of surround in any marketing info I've found. In fact no technical details listed at all....

These guys have released 5.1 audio only. Why no 5.1 on a blu-ray concert recorded in 2012?

Almost ordered this one the other night. I'm starting to think I made the right call. I have and enjoy "We're Here Because We're Here" but the YauTube samples did't impress after a few listens. One wag mentioned the "alvin and the chipmunk vibrato" and sadly I had to agree, hopefully it's just an artifact. I did order Peter Gabriel Live in Athens and am looking forward to the "Play" DVD as my current copy is PAL which was ok for the Oppo 970 but a no go on the Oppo 93.

Last edited:
I was sitting on the fence about this one for awhile - I enjoyed "We're Here..." but wouldn't qualify myself as a big fan. I cancelled my order with Amazon last week for no other reason than my surround expenditures were getting a little bit out of hand and I thought I could live without this one (at least for awhile). Now I'm glad I did. Burnng Shed and KScope should have clarified the 2.0 only in the pre-order process. When it comes to Blu Ray, DTS HD MA 5.1 is the norm with 2.0 being the RARE exception. Although I already have the corrected version of Peter Gabriel's Play, I'll probably spring for "Live In Athens" as I understand that the DTS HD MA 5.1 mix is stellar.

... looking forward to the "Play" DVD as my current copy is PAL which was ok for the Oppo 970 but a no go on the Oppo 93.

Your Oppo 93 must be region locked as it supports PAL and NTSC. There's a mob in Denmark that sell a user fitted region free mod. I fitted one to my BDP-95 and works a treat for blu-ray and DVD. Regions can be set from the remote.

Another option would be to rip the disc to vob files and play on the 93 off a USB drive.

... Burnng Shed and KScope should have clarified the 2.0 only in the pre-order process. When it comes to Blu Ray, DTS HD MA 5.1 is the norm with 2.0 being the RARE exception.

I will definitely have a moan to KScope.

I'm hoping the 5.1 track is hidden. Maybe they just forgot to add that to the blu-ray menu... (Now I sound like my avatar!)

It looks and sounds okay, but I am hugely disappointed that it is stereo only. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that it would be 5.1, but I also think that KScope should have pointed that out.

It looks and sounds okay, but I am hugely disappointed that it is stereo only. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that it would be 5.1, but I also think that KScope should have pointed that out.

First time i saw a major band, release a blu-ray with no 5.1 mix, can't believe it!

Although it was nowhere mentioned that a 5.1 mix would be included, it is still a bit of a disappointment that it is in stereo only. But as a lot of live dvd and bds only have some ambiance in the rears, I doubt that I will miss a surround mix in this case.

Although it was nowhere mentioned that a 5.1 mix would be included, it is still a bit of a disappointment that it is in stereo only. But as a lot of live dvd and bds only have some ambiance in the rears, I doubt that I will miss a surround mix in this case.

Yes, but i thought that with the orchestra, this would be different.

After seeing the responses today that this is not a 5.1, I was almost going to cancel my order but think I will still keep it as I would like to watch this concert.
To bad that it's not a 5.1 as it could have been a ggod one if done properly.

Haven't got mine yet. Given the pedigree and the significance of the gig, I'm hugely disappointed. :( I too expected 5.1. But I wont be looking to return it. Great band, limited edition package and they're amazing live so I still have high expectations!

Got an e-mail from Burning Shed saying its been dispatched. Its a shame its not 5.1, but they're a great band, and IMHO studio albums are better in 5.1 than live ones.

Mine still not here:
Yesterday DHL tracking says 'Arrived At Sort Facility - Melbourne 08:10'.
Today DHL tracking says 'Departed Facility - Sydney 00:06'

What the? Is it bouncing between two cities or going back to Amazon?

hi this is my first post on the forum - I would like to thank the site development and administration team for such an excellent resource.

I picked up the DVD/CD digipak at the concert in Cambridge MA on Sunday,

I was surprised to see stereo only as a option when I loaded it but can confirm both the DVD and the band live are great shows !

Is this also the case with the London material on the bluray?

Mine still not here:
Yesterday DHL tracking says 'Arrived At Sort Facility - Melbourne 08:10'.
Today DHL tracking says 'Departed Facility - Sydney 00:06'

What the? Is it bouncing between two cities or going back to Amazon?

I hope they have not a wrong address??

My copy arrived this morning and as the TV was on from watching the F1 qualifying I thought I'd watch the Blu-ray before listening to the CD - I normally do it the other way round for live albums for some inexplicable reason.

The picture and sound quality is great, but although its only stereo (LPCM, seems to be 24bit/96kHz) it doesn't detract from what is a great concert, the songs really work well with an orchestra. Great music & musicianship all round. The Union Chapel film isn't of the same picture or sound quality.

So thanks to Robert Van Diggele for pointing out the limited edition was selling fast.

Back