Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, would it prompt you to install an update even if auto update was set to off? If so, totally possible one of the kids did it.

it CONSTANTLY bugs you to update every time you turn it on and maybe a few times a day just pops up. Extremely annoying and consumer unfriendly. Eventually you mess up and take the update.

FWIW, the bug went away for me last week and (knock on wood) hasn’t reappeared.
The bug was completely gone for me for a couple of weeks, but it just re-appeared...(n)

I got the Software Update pop-up, but clicked on Update Later. That’s the only thing different. I’m still on 15.0.

Last edited:
So, would it prompt you to install an update even if auto update was set to off? If so, totally possible one of the kids did it.
Pretty sure the same thing happened to me. Auto update is off, but one day Dolby Audio was coming out of the left front speaker and the newest OS was installed. Pretty sure my son hit ok without even knowing it.

After being thoroughly disappointed with Tidal's Atmos offerings, and being very familiar with Apple's long history of indifference and even hostility to the AV community, I was deeply skeptical about the Apple Music offering. However, with a number of recently released surround titles that I was anxious to hear before buying, and already owning a 4k Apple TV, and also already heavily invested in iTunes/Apple Music on my mac mini, I decided to try Apple Music's 3 month free trial. It only took a couple of days of heavy sampling, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed. While far from perfect, it does seem that using an Apple TV is one of the cheaper solutions for streaming both lossless stereo (CD quality) and multichannel (Atmos and Dolby Audio) music via HDMI directly into my AV processor from the vast iTunes library. Doing something like that from a mac requires an external dac and additional software to bypass internal macos processing, and is still limited. Even with annoying bugs, like audible gaps between songs on some albums, and Dolby Audio tracks requiring you to back up to the beginning after several seconds to play correctly are just that - annoyances - and not complete deal breakers. I really hope Apple stays committed to this "spatial audio" initiative, as well as lossless and eventually higher resolution stereo, although that's far from certain. If they do, then in spite of themselves they may finally offer a product that AV enthusiasts can get behind.

Don’t know if anyone noticed this one yet, but the Atmos mix of the new Clapton acoustic effort “The Lady In The Balcony” is now available on Apple Music.

I suspect most here will poo-poo the Atmos mix on this, but I‘m not what sure they‘d expect from 4 piece acoustic performances on a stage filmed from an audience perspective.

So freaking confusing; Spotify, has all these songs, like Time, Brothers in Arms, Riders on the Storm, etc.
Now I know these Albums are NOT in Atmos
Where's the music coming from?
Anyhoo, it stil doesn't beat DVD/Audio, or BluRay audio IMHO
Thoughts?

Don’t know if anyone noticed this one yet, but the Atmos mix of the new Clapton acoustic effort “The Lady In The Balcony” is now available on Apple Music.

I suspect most here will poo-poo the Atmos mix on this, but I‘m not what sure they‘d expect from 4 piece acoustic performances on a stage filmed from an audience perspective.
Sure, I buy that scenario, and those with actual height speakers probably get a lot of the venue ambience, which is what I'd expect. I'm not totally unreasonable you know :)

When I'm being very agreeable in a "discussion" with Mrs. Pupster she'll say-
"Oh sure, now you're the most reasonable M.F. in the room all of a sudden" :ROFLMAO:

So freaking confusing; Spotify, has all these songs, like Time, Brothers in Arms, Riders on the Storm, etc.
Now I know these Albums are NOT in Atmos
Where's the music coming from?
Anyhoo, it stil doesn't beat DVD/Audio, or BluRay audio IMHO
Thoughts?
I can’t speak to spotify, but Apple Music has a whole lot of single song titles with Atmos mixes - including Riders On The Storm IIRC.

But I don’t think BIA (Dire Straits?) is one of them and I’m not sure which Time you’re referring to - if you’re referring to Pink Floyd, I think there is a live version mixed in Atmos currently on Apple Music (actually the whole album is there in Atmos). It might also be there as one of the David Gilmour live albums (but I’m not certain).

Last edited:
So there's now an Apple Music app on LG TV's, but I can't seem to get it to play surround or Atmos via eARC. It defaults to 2 channels but the signal is Dolby digital :unsure:

Edit - From reading a bit it seems that Apple did not implement Atoms on the LG app. Hopefully, it will be done soon. It would be great to get it straight from the TV.

Last edited:
Just installed 15.2b3 (19K5043b) and my initial testing that usually reveals "the bug" indicates it may be gone.

I've been shuffling/skipping through a playlist for a little while with a mix of stereo/Atmos/Audio and it hasn't messed up yet.

Please don't update from 14.7 based on my one sample, but others on 15/15.1 please test the latest beta.

Just installed 15.2b3 (19K5043b) and my initial testing that usually reveals "the bug" indicates it may be gone.

I've been shuffling/skipping through a playlist for a little while with a mix of stereo/Atmos/Audio and it hasn't messed up yet.

Please don't update from 14.7 based on my one sample, but others on 15/15.1 please test the latest beta.
Great news if it holds true! Have you had a chance to notice if the screen saver now works in Apple Music?

I can confirm that the bug is gone now! :SG

Great news if it holds true! Have you had a chance to notice if the screen saver now works in Apple Music?

I've had a problem where the screen saver comes on even though I have it set not to come on during music, is that what you are talking about? I haven't tested that.

I've had a problem where the screen saver comes on even though I have it set not to come on during music, is that what you are talking about? I haven't tested that.
Ha no, my issue is the opposite. Can't get it to run in Apple Music even though I have it turned on to do so.

Seeing the above post, I thought I’d have another go. No luck. Decided to check what soft wear update I have. It was the 14. whatever I think, so updated to the only option 15.1 & still the same.
I guess I have no choice but to wait till the 15.2b3 is available ?? It’s so bloody annoying & frustrating !

Seeing the above post, I thought I’d have another go. No luck. Decided to check what soft wear update I have. It was the 14. whatever I think, so updated to the only option 15.1 & still the same.
I guess I have no choice but to wait till the 15.2b3 is available ?? It’s so bloody annoying & frustrating !

It should be available to anyone. Under Settings -> System -> Software Update, turn on Beta updates.

Back