• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Beck - GUERO [DVD-A]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A of Beck - GUERO

• Total voters

stereoptic

Better late than never... :). I recently picked this one up for like $8 (including the s/h!) and have enjoyed it more than most other 'new' releases (I Know this is 7 years old already!) I gave it a 9 just because it is not "really" hi-res. Other than that, I enjoyed the entire album from start to finish and was ready to spin it again after listening the first time; it's been a while since I've done that with a release. I didn't realize that I was familiar with 5 or 6 songs already. The surround mix is exquisite. Tastefully balanced with a few surprises thrown in here and there.

Mandrake2011

Another latecomer here. Only recently discovered Beck but am really starting to dig him. Yes, even -- or should I say especially -- Mellow Gold.

Anyway, I really like Guero too and this DVD-A is outstanding! I gave it a 9.

d0zer

Got this some weeks ago and listened to it several times. Though the sound quality is good and the surround mix is great, the music is just not my cup of tea. So I gave it a 7.

fredblue

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
A lovely package and a great sound mix, with lots going on.. I just could not get into the music, sadly.

ABMickey

Also a late spinner on these...but this disc blows me out of my chair:mad:@: ...excellent Mix from Elliot and the music suits me more than Sea Change ...a clear 10

Mike the Fish

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I'd heard bits of this album in a couple of places - and liked what I heard, and knew there was a package with a DVD. The package I saw didn't have the slip saying what was on it, so I was pleased to find out there was a surround mix. I've only heard some of the 5.1 and I really like the mixing: it, with the visuals, seem to really compliment the music. I'm liking the three subtitle layers that add graphics - the second one sometimes gives pictures of Beck. My only issue so far is the first track playing so heavily on the left hand side. I don't know if that replicates the stereo mix yet. I'm looking forward to hearing more of this one.

Mike the Fish

Hard to score this one for me. I gave a quick switch between stereo and 5.1 for Earthquake Weather and the 5.1 really opened it out. The stereo sounded weedy in comparison - which is the opposite of some of the R.E.M. mixes. (I do wonder if there was some kind of exporting to file error with some of those...)

corneredcat

600 Club - QQ All-Star
obviously very late for this one...i know nothing about it...but because it's a Scheiner mix i tossed out $7.50 to find out!

LizardKing

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
obviously very late for this one...i know nothing about it...but because it's a Scheiner mix i tossed out $7.50 to find out!
Not everyone's cup of tea - but its one of my all time favourites... quite different from Sea Change (if you have that).

A real fun true surround mix - check out the videos (and the alternate angles - at least on Girl - IIRC)

I need to give this another spin...(y)

corneredcat

600 Club - QQ All-Star
Not everyone's cup of tea - but its one of my all time favourites... quite different from Sea Change (if you have that).

A real fun true surround mix - check out the videos (and the alternate angles - at least on Girl - IIRC)

I need to give this another spin...(y)
LOVE Sea Change...and thanks to this thread i'm not expecting something similar. for the cheap price i paid i figured it was worth a stab in the dark! also being especially partial to Scheiner mixes..looking forward to it... thanks for the vid tips too

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Nothing like Sea Change in musical style and quite compressed/loud (unlike Sea Change) but I quite like this album. I would like it so much more without the compression. I haven't voted on this yet but it's going to get a 7 I think. It does not have the sonics for a 9 or 10.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I thought about giving this a 9, just because it isn't Sea Change. But Sea Change goes to 11, so this one can be a 10.
Super-engaging, enveloping mix that perfectly compliments the music. Sub-woofer forced to fight for it's life.
Dis shizznit is dope, yo.

keywhiz

QQ Supporter
Yeah, I guess you either like the music or you don’t. Welcome to “music”.

This is a GREAT disc. Fun, crazy, excellent Scheiner mix. Great sonics. Fantastic packaging and visuals Makes me sad for the promise of what 5.1 music held a dozen + years ago that is just so much history now. :(

I love the music. Fun and energetic. Someone gave this disc a “1”? Lol. They must really hate the music and we’re trying to sink the rating. Either that or Beck stole his girlfriend or something. :D

Just picked this one up used for pretty cheap. Will be playing it a LOT. Easy “10”

Last edited:

hafquark

This is Beck in a lighter, fun mood. The surround is overly compressed, but not near Flaming Lips levels -- and it's a wild, active Scheiner mix with a good number of catchy tunes. On top of that you can still find it really cheap. I'm docking it one point for being too loud, so an "8" for me.

Group builder