Biggest single surround release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, and I thought Max Richter's SLEEP [DGG/8 CDs/1 BD~A Stereo] clocking in at 8 hours and 24 minutes was pushing it!

https://www.discogs.com/release/7845100-Max-Richter-Sleep
The funniest thing about this release is until Max Richter’s Sleep came out, Somnium was the longest ambient album out there, then Sleep came out, and Robert Rich responded with his OWN 8 hour sleep album Perpetual. When it came time to distributing the FLAC files, it made sense to do a Blu and just put both albums on one disc.

It’s worth noting that other than the music, the disc is bare bones: a menu with a static background image and the two albums covers, and they play as videos with just pure black. The sacrifice you have to make for runtime…

Elvis Costello would be cool. Has anyone heard the "Spanish Model" album. He took the masters, left off his voice and turned over the vocals to Spanish language vocalist from around the world. The sound is really good and the whole album is so much fun.

+1

I know it's not going to happen, but just the mention of a Kate Bush surround box set has got me so excited that I just can't stop a teeny, weeny, tiny, miniscule part of me that keeps saying, 'You never know...'

Sure.

To date I've been involved as a play tester for pretty much every one of Robert Reed's major surround releases, including all his solo work, most of the Magenta surround catalogue as well as his Cyan, Kompendium, Kiama, ChimpanA, Cursus 123430 and The Ringmaster projects.

I've had a much more "proactive" role in Bruce Soord's many projects, such as his solo material, the more recent Pineapple Thief albums, and his work for others on the Kscope label, like Anathema, Riverside, Katatonia etc. (By "proactive" I mean that I was very influential in his early days as a surround engineer: As well as play testing, I was initially helping/coaching him to develop his approach to mixing - things like using discrete placement, where best to position things in the surround field, mixing vocal harmonies in surround, being light on compression etc. )

I also played a similar role but even more "proactive" with Rob Aubrey (Big Big Train) and Max Reed (The Enid.)

I don't want to create the impression that the release I am currently involved with will necessarily be by one of these engineers/artists, but this should give an idea of the kind of thing it is going to be...

(Not related to the subject, but I should also stress that the engineers I mention above all quickly "out grew" me. I still help now and again with placement suggestions, but they make 99% of the mixing decisions these days, and hand me a virtually complete, good to go mix!)
Thank you for the reply.
I am not personally familiar with those artists, but I know they are highly regarded on QQ.
Maybe I will have to branch out…
Meanwhile, thanks for keeping the (surround) faith!

Well I am just catching up on QQ posts and this news from Neil P. is very exciting in deed.
Rob Reed and Bruce Soord music projects have been wonderful musical treasures to hear in the past 10 years for me.

Riverside(Love Fear and the Time Machine) is my favorite of the other band mixes that Bruce Soord has done.
I sure wish that Riverside's Wasteland had been done by Bruce S. as it would have been a better mix than the one we got.

I think all the music Neil listed worked for me except for "The Enid". Not my cup of tea so far any ways.

Big Big Train I had already heard of and had cd's before their surround releases came out so they would be welcome for sure.

Was just thinking about this… and dang does time fly… did we ever find out what this was gonna be (and did I miss it)? Or are we poised to, seven months on? 🤞

Was just thinking about this… and dang does time fly… did we ever find out what this was gonna be (and did I miss it)? Or are we poised to, seven months on? 🤞
...no, you haven't missed anything. AFAIK it's still very much on the cards, though I still don't know of a release date, even now. I'm not at all concerned since I know (roughly) why it's taken so long, and it seems to be more about logistics/scheduling than anything else.

Back