Dual Disc Bruce Springsteen We Shall Overcome

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Stevie

Hi everybody,

bought this disc yesterday here in germany. There are two editions available with exactly the same content and digipack packaging - cd plus dvd and dual disc with the latter usually being a few euros more expensive. why anybody in his sane mind would then buy the dual disc is beyond my comprehension.

the dvd contains the entire album in pcm stereo and therefore sounds pretty much like the cd. the other bonus content is quite comprehensive - 30 minute documentary, 2 bonus tracks and "filmed performances" of 6 tracks which turn out to be part of the documentary if i didnt miss anything in the menu.
strangely the video is available in pcm and dd 5.1. so why not mix the whole album in this format?

havent gotten through the whole bonus content yet but listened to the album and i am pleasantly surprised. the title song is no pleasure to listen to but most of the other songs are quite lively and catchy especially O mary don't you weep

so, since is there is no "plain" version of the album available anyway this is still quite good value for money, paid for the cd/dvd 15 euro which is the standard price for a cd here.

Thanks for the heads up. Another missed opportunity for a major 5.1 release.

Wait a minute...
in europe Bon Jovi "have a nice day" was released as cd+dvd and on the dvd featured just videos and interview, AND also dualdisc: *only* the dualdisc featured the 5.1 dvd audio mix.
Seems weird two releases at the same time with the same content... check out carefully if the dualdisc features a 5.1 dolby digital somewhere.

i checked both packages in the shop, it clearly states pcm stereo
i own the bon jovi you mentioned, there was an enormous sticker on it referring to the 5.1. high resolution mix

it seems weird, thats true, and in the case of pink the dualdisc actually had a DD 5.1. mix of the album (while the bonus dvd didnt have it if i remember correctly)

actually its really a pity that there is no 5.1. mix for the full album since i like the mix for the "filmed performances", it gives you a bit of a "right in bruces livingroom"-feel (the horns were recorded in the hall and therefore can be heard from the backspeakers)

BOSSMAN said:
Is the video in anamorphic widescreen?

The PAL version is certainly anamorphic (16x9). Great album and video and a really good surround mix on the video. I would agree with the previous comments that it's a shame that Sony didn't go the extra mile and provide a 5.1 mix for the whole album (even DD 5.1 would have been nice but SACD 5.1 would have been terrific).

Back