Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin's Love Devotion Surrender on Quad SACD from Sony Japan Sept. 27, 2023

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also added these two SACD's to cart) But I'll wait for the next promo code from CDJapan to save a little 💵
I added Super Session to Carlos too, I had a few hundred points, paid a total of $75.20 with FedEx delivery, Listening to Super Session on YouTube now Listened to Carlos yesterday. Ordered Blu-ray Pink Floyd yesterday, New Pretenders LP on the way, and forever waiting for Van Halen and Cannonball Mofi OneSteps. And finally the Criterion Collection of blu-ray "La Bamba". Ouch!

What is this Soul Brothers business, anyway? I had no idea this wasn't released in Japan back in the day.

Looking forward to ordering this when released by CDJapan.
Thanks for the "heads-up" on the new Santana/McLaughlin & Bloomfield/Kooper/Stills Japan 7" quad SACD's via CDJapan as I just placed my order for those! Just barely got my pre-order request in yesterday for the new "Dark Side" Blu Ray before that sold out on the SDE site...phew!

Quite painlessly added this one to my existing Super Session order, which I'd padded with additional back catalog 7-inchers before they go out of print permanently.

New total posted to my PayPal account, original amount credited back.

I was reminded while browsing that every one of these Sony quads is a limited edition.
Though a few are still available, most are sold out on the primary market.

------------------------------------------------
Item(s) has been added to your order:
SICP-10145

Updated Order Summary :
EICP-10001 Jeff Beck / Blow By Blow -
SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition - [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Limited Edition]
5000yen Released: March 26, 2014
Availability: In Stock: Usually ships in 1-2 days

SICP-10141 Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles / Live!
SA-CD Multi Hybrid Edition [Limited Edition] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)]
4409yen Released: September 21, 2022
Availability: In Stock: Usually ships in 1-2 days

SICP-10144 Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Stephen Stills / Super Session -
SACD Multi-ch Hybrid Edition - [7-inch Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)] [Limited Release]
3818yen Released: September 13, 2023
Availability: Pre-order: Usually ships by the release date

SICP-10145 Carlos Santana, Mahavishnu John McLaughlin / Love Devotion Surrender -
SACD Multi-ch Hybrid Edition - [Limited Release] [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)]
4409yen Released: September 27, 2023
Availability: Pre-order: Usually ships by the release date

Payment Method : PayPal
Subtotal : 17636yen
Shipping : 3537yen
Points Redeemed : -128yen
Coupon Discount : -1200yen
--------------------------------
Total : 19845yen

Rewards Points you earn from this order when it ships : 488 points.

*The payment will be finalized upon shipment of your order. However, credit card companies prohibit processing of any payment more than 90 days after the transaction is authorized. If you pre-order any item that does not become available sooner, the payment will need to be finalized 4-6 days prior to this deadline, before your order is sent.

I've never heard any of Santana albums before getting all these 7" quad sacd's... And I never regretted that I bought each of them! :LB
they've arguably covered the biggies already but there's still some great Quads to come, the mixes for Welcome & Borboletta are very nice 💘

things took a Surround slide into fake fudge with Amigos & Festival but i love those albums so would still snap them up on MultiCh SACD if Sony Japan see the series through that far 🥳😋

edit: there's also some nifty 7-inch packaging opportunities afforded to Sony with the likes of Welcome (subtle yet classy embossed artwork) and Borboletta (that delectable silvery blue foil sleeve)

in the words of Salvador Dali;
"Butterflyyyyeeeeeee!" 🦋💖✌️

Last edited:
I have all of the other Sony 7-inches that I want, but to soften the blow of the S&H--does anyone know why Airmail and Registered Airmail to the US are still suspended?--I added Cornelius's Mellow Waves Visuals, a brilliant album with a mind-blowing mix (and mind-blowing videos). I've only ever seen/heard it courtesy of a friend who lent me a copy, so I'm glad to finally get one for myself. When it's available from US sellers, it's typically priced at least fifteen dollars higher than it is from CDJapan.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/WPXL-90203

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this for a bit, but a lot of Santana quad mixes are absolutely spectacular. Why is that? Did the band members love the medium and were involved in the mixes? I've been thinking for a bit what logistically sets the stage for a great surround sound mix to be made, and I'm thinking looking at Santana may be a good case study, if anything knows anything about the behind the scenes for them.

(Also, apologies if I'm derailing the thread a bit with this ask. If anyone knows of relevant threads that talk about this subject, I'd love to know!)

I've been thinking about this for a bit, but a lot of Santana quad mixes are absolutely spectacular. Why is that? Did the band members love the medium and were involved in the mixes? I've been thinking for a bit what logistically sets the stage for a great surround sound mix to be made, and I'm thinking looking at Santana may be a good case study, if anything knows anything about the behind the scenes for them.

(Also, apologies if I'm derailing the thread a bit with this ask. If anyone knows of relevant threads that talk about this subject, I'd love to know!)
several of the bigger artists under the CBS umbrella of labels (incl. Columbia, Epic, Philadelphia International, T-Neck, Monument) saw a number of Quad releases, including Chicago (8), Barbra Streisand (8), Andy Williams (8), Johnny Mathis (8), Charlie Rich (5), Percy Faith (9), Ray Conniff (12), Kris Kristofferson (5), Mac Davis (5), Dave Mason (3), Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel/Art Garfunkel (6), Edgar & Johnny Winter (7), Earth Wind & Fire (4), The Isley Brothers (4), The O'Jays (5), Jeff Beck (5), Billy Paul (3), Billy Joel (3), Blood Sweat & Tears (4) & Poco (4).

Santana saw the most Quad releases of all the Rock & Pop artists on CBS (13); 10 Studio albums, 2 Live albums and 1 Greatest Hits compilation.

up until 1975, aside from "Lotus" which was mixed in Japan and is a
more typical Live Surround mix with predominantly audience/ambience in the Rears, the Santana Quads were mixed either by CBS' top Quad Engineer Larry Keyes ("Santana", "Abraxas", "III", "Love Devotion Surrender") or Santana's own Engineer Glen Kolotkin ("Caravanserai", "Live With Buddy Miles", "Welcome", "Illuminations", "Borboletta").

Kolotkin also mixed the Quad of "Azteca", one of the all-time Classic Quads, billed as a CBS 'Surround Spectacular' back in the day.

the Quads of Santana's 1976 album "Amigos" & 1977's "Festival" were created in San Francisco by Fred Catero. while Catero was more than capable of mixing great Surround music, as evidenced by his solid Quad mixes of Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" & "Thrust", his two Santana Quads are unfortunately upmixes and not discrete Surround mixes from multitracks.

while i think initially Santana may have been selected for Quad treatment based primarily on sales success, as with the aforementioned artists, i believe that once Kolotkin had experienced Quad mixing in collaboration with Larry Keyes on "Caravanserai" he 'went for it' and spurred on mixing more Santana in Quad, mixing it all himself while producing the albums, when possibly CBS might have thrown in the towel had they needed to spend extra funds on enlisting another Engineer such as Larry Keyes to mix the Quad.

similarly with a view to saving on time & cost overhead, Catero's Santana Quads were done while he was producing those albums. it's just a shame the Surround results were not upto the standard of Kolotkin's work, which is top notch.

Last edited:
several of the bigger artists under the CBS umbrella of labels (incl. Columbia, Epic, Philadelphia International, T-Neck, Monument) saw a number of Quad releases, including Chicago (8), Barbra Streisand (8), Andy Williams (8), Johnny Mathis (8), Charlie Rich (5), Percy Faith (9), Ray Conniff (12), Kris Kristofferson (5), Mac Davis (5), Dave Mason (3), Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel/Art Garfunkel (6), Edgar & Johnny Winter (7), Earth Wind & Fire (4), The Isley Brothers (4), The O'Jays (5), Billy Paul (3), Billy Joel (3), Blood Sweat & Tears (4) & Poco (4).

Santana saw the most Quad releases of all the Rock & Pop artists on CBS (13); 10 Studio albums, 2 Live albums and 1 Greatest Hits compilation.

more typical Live Surround mix with predominantly audience/ambience in the Rears, the Santana Quads were mixed either by CBS' top Quad Engineer Larry Keyes ("Santana", "Abraxas", "III", "Love Devotion Surrender") or Santana's own Engineer Glen Kolotkin ("Caravanserai", "Live With Buddy Miles", "Welcome", "Illuminations", "Borboletta").

Kolotkin also mixed the Quad of "Azteca", one of the all-time Classic Quads, billed as a CBS 'Surround Spectacular' back in the day.

the Quads of Santana's 1976 album "Amigos" & 1977's "Festival" were created in San Francisco by Fred Catero. while Catero was more than capable of mixing great Surround music, as evidenced by his solid Quad mixes of Herbie Hancock's "Headhunters" & "Thrust", his two Santana Quads are unfortunately upmixes and not discrete Surround mixes from multitracks.

while i think initially Santana may have been selected for Quad treatment based primarily on sales success, as with the aforementioned artists, i believe that once Kolotkin had experienced Quad mixing in collaboration with Larry Keyes on "Caravanserai" he 'went for it' and spurred on mixing more Santana in Quad, mixing it all himself while producing the albums, when possibly CBS might have thrown in the towel had they needed to spend extra funds on enlisting another Engineer such as Larry Keyes to mix the Quad.

similarly with a view to saving on time & cost overhead, Catero's Santana Quads were done while he was producing those albums. it's just a shame the Surround results were not upto the standard of Kolotkin's work, which is top notch.
What an absolute pleasure when you or Dave are waxing on about the ol’ Quad stuff; such a wealth of detailed knowledge.

several of the bigger artists under the CBS umbrella of labels (incl. Columbia, Epic, Philadelphia International, T-Neck, Monument) saw a number of Quad releases, including Chicago (8), Barbra Streisand (8), Andy Williams (8), Johnny Mathis (8), Charlie Rich (5), Percy Faith (9), Ray Conniff (12), Kris Kristofferson (5), Mac Davis (5), Dave Mason (3), Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel/Art Garfunkel (6), Edgar & Johnny Winter (7), Earth Wind & Fire (4), The Isley Brothers (4), The O'Jays (5), Billy Paul (3), Billy Joel (3), Blood Sweat & Tears (4) & Poco (4).

Thank you for the detail!

My poor poor wallet .......... just added Love, Devotion, Surrender to my existing Super Session CDJapan order, so saves on P&P

- to spare the wallet's sanity I'll wait until tomorrow before ordering the new Steven Wilson :ROFLMAO:
Added to my order as well! Keep them coming!!!!!!

Back