CD-4 - The thin line between success and failure, but still in the fight!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20220826_005938485~2.jpg

@fredblue these are potential test/set up/demo discs I have onhand

Last edited:
I like both the Fisher and Harman/Kardon discs for setup as they correlate real well with production music discs.

On the Doors disc,"Riders On the Storm" is good for the whispering in the back channels, of course, and "Moonlight Drive" is great as the guitar solo should be right at the left back.

Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" is great because the guitar should be right at the right back.

Doug

Last edited:
This record has very good tools for adjustment. Channel identification track, level adjustment, separation adjustment, carrier level.

CD-4 CHANNEL DISCRETE DEMONSTRATION RECORD-M1973LP Warner/Electra/Atlantic PROMO

Side 1:
Left Channel Separation Adjustment Tone
Right Channel Separation Adjustment Tone
Channel Balancing Tone
Channel Location Tones
Carrier Level Adjustment Tone
ARETHA FRANKLIN: Rock Steady
BREAD: Mother Freedom
DOOBIE BROTHERS: Dark-Eyed Cajun Woman
STARDRIVE: Ruches

Side 2:
CARLY SIMON: Embrace Me, You Child
SEALS & CROFTS: Diamond Girl
ARLO GUTHRIE: Gypsy Davy
BETTE MIDLER: Do You Want to Dance?
SPINNERS: Could It Be I'm Falling in Love

Me thinks I remember some comments made on the forum about some of the frequency sweeps being incorrect. Fortunately, IMO, they have never been useful to me anyway.

There is no carrier level test track, but the separation adjustment tracks work well.The channel identification tracks on side 2 maybe works better since it's a musical selection. When the track identifies "left front" adjust the left rear separation pot for minimum output. And the same for the right side. The auto detection track seems to be good.

I think an often overlooked point on these set up records is that previously owned with an amount of wear & tear may not yield the best results. If possible it would be good to double check against a NOS set up disc.

Last edited:
This record has very good tools for adjustment. Channel identification track, level adjustment, separation adjustment, carrier level.

CD-4 CHANNEL DISCRETE DEMONSTRATION RECORD-M1973LP Warner/Electra/Atlantic PROMO

Side 1:
Left Channel Separation Adjustment Tone
Right Channel Separation Adjustment Tone
Channel Balancing Tone
Channel Location Tones
Carrier Level Adjustment Tone
ARETHA FRANKLIN: Rock Steady
BREAD: Mother Freedom
DOOBIE BROTHERS: Dark-Eyed Cajun Woman
STARDRIVE: Ruches

Side 2:
CARLY SIMON: Embrace Me, You Child
SEALS & CROFTS: Diamond Girl
ARLO GUTHRIE: Gypsy Davy
BETTE MIDLER: Do You Want to Dance?
SPINNERS: Could It Be I'm Falling in Love
Is there a discogs page for this one?

One of the errors on the Dorren disc is where they identify a reference tone as being 1kHz and it's actually 2kHz. This is in a couple of places. The other is where it's indicated sweeps are left front and left back together and then right front and right back when actually, it's both front channels together and then both back channels together.

All sweep related as Sonik Wiz noted so no real bearing on the quad stuff. The record is meant to check out two channel systems, too. I enjoy the goofy little ditty used in several places, like with channel identification and the "Bean Whistle Rag" is terrific.

There is also a test to check if your demodulator 30kHz detection is working correctly. (Oops, Sonik Wiz already mentioned this test).

Doug

Last edited:
Back