Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this an hour ago

One Word: AWESOME!!!!!!!!

e6e96893-21ed-438d-9109-d6cb7ed3843b.jpg

My advise to everybody, do not hesitate to get this wonderful box set

Regards,

Do the discs get scratched when taking them out of the card? I prefer discs in plastic holders.

Just curious: are you using bass management? FWIW the "too much bass comments" are in reference to systems where speakers are set to small and thus the bass is re-routed to the sub.

Interesting you should ask. I'm running the Definitive Promonitor series for my FL/FR and surrounds. Promonitor 800s in the front and 600s in the rear (soon to be 800s for the surrounds, then the spare 600s are going up to the ceiling as FLH/FRH). My center is a huge 4-woofer thing from Polk and my sub is a 12" Polk.
Anyhow, I set up by doing the automatic microphone thing. I assumed it would set the fronts to small, just like the rears, but it set them to large.
It did set the center to small though, oddly. I have manually adjusted that to large and will continue listening to the set to see if I hear any difference.
So, I'm probably not a great "control" case, but the set does sound great on my system.

**Update: bass still sounds great with center adjusted to large**

My package arrived yesterday and I can't wait to start listening. I just wanted to put a good word in for ImportCD. This was my first time purchasing from them and I was well pleased.
1: Lowest USD$ price (with online code). 2: Pretty fast standard shipping. USPS acknowledged the tracking number on Friday & it was in the mailbox Monday morning. Kentucky to Long Island.

It looks like I will be picking up the Mirage set from them - again lowest price USD$.

--Greg

I've been very happy with importcds...it's too bad you didn't get in "early" on the mirage set from amazon uk..the delivered price was $56.46...it's still not bad at $65.80 delilvered to the US...importcds for the non tax states is around $73 right now...but there could be discounts before the release date....I received my Chicago Quad set today from importcds... I got my Chicago set for $110...even with tax...you just have to be patient with them and their computer messages at times are confusing...they often confuse "backordered" with "pre order"...if you know that going in and don't panic the orders take care of themselves..

Agree 100%. I always transfer discs that come in cardboard sleeves to plastic cases. It is a shame that the artwork gets neglected but a scratched-up disc is a risk that I don't want to take.

Another option for discs (unprotected) in cardboard sleeves is to purchase and use high quality Japanese Inner CD Sleeves as protection for the disc. In using this method, it allows for the continued use of the original artwork cardboard sleeve. :)

It seems that some members on the Hoffmann thread believe that the bass on these Quadios is a bit overdone. I can see how they might feel that way, but any issue they may have is easily corrected with a judicious bass cut via the tone controls. In some cases/times I may boost the treble instead or tweek both little bit. These kinds of so called mastering "issues" do not bother me. A well mastered recording allows the listener to adjust tone controls to his/her taste and achieve excellent results. Such is the case with this Quadio set. However, no degree of fiddling with the tone controls will correct a muddy recording or one with an over-cut high end as seems prevalent on many remastered red-book CDs.

Besides, Pete Cetera plays one heck of a mean bass and I like the way Rhino brought it to the forefront. Always loved his playing on Poem 58, the bridge on Questions 67 and 68 that signature intro to I'm A Man, etc.

I agree the bass comes across as a bit 'hot'. Especially on a system (like mine) where you're using bass management to send to the low frequencies to a subwoofer. I would imagine that played on a traditional full-range quad system (as was the intention of the original mixing engineers) it comes across as more balanced?

But whatever. Turn down the sub a bit if you need to. Personally, I don't mind a bit more bass. Dial in your system to your liking and enjoy!

Another option for discs (unprotected) in cardboard sleeves is to purchase and use high quality Japanese Inner CD Sleeves as protection for the disc. In using this method, it allows for the continued use of the original artwork cardboard sleeve. :)

They aren't unprotected in cardboard sleeves. All come with the little plastic inner sleeves that fit inside the cardboard.

They aren't unprotected in cardboard sleeves. All come with the little plastic inner sleeves that fit inside the cardboard.

I have not as yet received my Chicago Quadio set. My comment was based on those who choose to transfer discs to a plastic case "in general" to prevent damage to the surface of a disc that is 'unprotected' in a cardboard sleeve.

I have not as yet received my Chicago Quadio set. My comment was based on those who choose to transfer discs to a plastic case "in general" to prevent damage to the surface of a disc that is 'unprotected' in a cardboard sleeve.

Just doing that results in scratches. It is almost impossible to take discs out of card without scratching them.

I Might have to purchase this set then. I never heard a Chicago song until last week. Sounds promising. I will have to list a couple of items on Ebay to fund this.

Just doing that results in scratches. It is almost impossible to take discs out of card without scratching them.

I repeat suggestion: use Japanese Inner CD Sleeves (plastic) if disc is unprotected in original cardboard sleeve. If disc is already marked or scratched, a CD Inner Sleeve will prevent additional marks or scratches. It appears Rhino's Chicago Quadio release considered production quality by placing discs in plastic inner CD sleeves to prevent scratches.

You won't have to worry about scratching the disc on this set...I'm showing you pictures of the inner "soft" plastic sleeve(2nd picture) and I've included pictures of a "hard" plastic disc case that I transfer all my discs into from the original container(pictures 3 and 4)..I place the original container in a zip lock plastic bag..

005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg

I'm against any storage system where you have to slide-out / slide-in the disc. The CD guys got it right over 30 years ago.

Meh. Just be careful. I've been sliding LPs in and out for decades. It pretty easy to just sort of open up the cardboard and let the disc fall out into your hand most of the time. Rarely have I come across one so tight that I worried about damaging the disc.

My biggest fears are those packages where the spindle-holder easily breaks and now the disc is doing who-knows-what inside the package backed up against broken plastic!

Back