Chicago Quadio - 9 Quad Albums on Blu-ray Audio.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I don't understand and/or agree with your comment. Yes these are 4.0 quad disks, so there is no LFE or center channel. In this case, bass management systems should simply route low bass (based on the crossover frequency selected) to the sub for any front or rear speaker that is set to small. Since there is no LFE channel, this would just be the bass that would normally be reproduced by the FR,FL,RR,RL speakers. If all speakers are set to large, the bass is not routed to the sub and the sub should not be active at all. If you truly do have small speakers which are not capable of low bass output and you turn all bass management off, the low bass will not be reproduced. The small speakers cant reproduce it, and there is no LFE channel, so there should be zero activity from the sub.

On my system I do not use the pre pro's bass management because when playing 5.1 PCM/flac or analog stereo there is no option to allow my pre/pro to perform the above function (unless I want to digitize the analog signal and then re-convert it). So I use a separate stand alone crossover that is inserted between the pre pro and the power amp and set all speakers to large. The bass management is accomplished in the analog domain just before the power amps. The crossover also sends any LFE signal to the sub. This method accomplishes the same thing but is on continuously for all sources, like adding an additional low bass woofer to each speaker.

I know there was some controversy regarding the proper level of the LFE channel from various formats (DVDA, SACD, DVD, etc), and that is discussed elsewhere on this board, but when playing a 4.0 source, I would think most BM systems would get it right.

ahh yes this is totally correct but it is also the problem. with dvd-a and analog outs you don't have the problem but with blu ray the bass management does whatever it wants to and some player like my old panasonic when connected through hdmi you could not turn it off, with my oppo it is fully controlled but in many players it is not and just runs wild like a sixteen year old at a frat party.

Oooh, think I might have solved my problem, Fronts set to Large (they aren't really but the Onkyo says they are after Audyssey), Surrounds to Small and the Oppo BDP-93 set to Bitstream. AVR now says DTS-HD MSTR 4.0 and the Fronts are giving me low frequencies that suit me fine, pushing air way beyond their size, could it be neodymium? The sub is silent. Only the beginning . . . Almost forgot, spinning the CTA Quadio Blu again, my neighbors must think I've lost it.

. . . Almost forgot, spinning the CTA Quadio Blu again, my neighbors must think I've lost it.

same here. There must be neighbors all across the US (world) hearing Chicago eminating from every angle, thinking "have they made some sort of comeback, the radio seems to really be playing them a lot" lol

ahh yes this is totally correct but it is also the problem. with dvd-a and analog outs you don't have the problem but with blu ray the bass management does whatever it wants to and some player like my old panasonic when connected through hdmi you could not turn it off, with my oppo it is fully controlled but in many players it is not and just runs wild like a sixteen year old at a frat party.

I guess I was not aware. The only blu ray players I've ever had have been Oppos. Not being able to defeat bass management in the player would be a serious design error IMHO.

Anybody else missing the disc and slip cover for Chicago VII from their set?
I was just looking through each disc and only the found the empty replica sleeve showing the graphics from side 3 & 4.
Besides the disc and the replica slip cover from sides 1 & 2, what else am I missing?

Listened to CTA this evening and compared it a bit to the DVA. Where the DVDA was too light on the low end, I think the bass is a bit too much on the new blu-ray. I needed to tone it down a bit.

--Greg

I was just looking through each disc and only the found the empty replica sleeve showing the graphics from side 3 & 4.
Besides the disc and the replica slip cover from sides 1 & 2, what else am I missing?

Listened to CTA this evening and compared it a bit to the DVA. Where the DVDA was too light on the low end, I think the bass is a bit too much on the new blu-ray. I needed to tone it down a bit.

--Greg

Do you have any speakers set to small? In other words, are you using bass management? There have been comments about excessive bass on the Hoffman forum. I suggest you experiment with settings of "Large" for your speakers, if possible.

Thanks for the suggestion but that isn't the issue. My front & rears speakers are full range and all match. The receiver's mgmt is set to large.
Not a biggie, it isn't the only disc that I need to tweak levels to get to my liking. Just making an observation that the bass is way more pronounced on the blu-ray.

I am more concerned over the missing disc. My gut tells me it won't be as simple as Import CD sending me what I am missing.

--Greg

I am more concerned over the missing disc. My gut tells me it won't be as simple as Import CD sending me what I am missing.
--Greg
I hadn't checked the other discs until now and VII is there. I think it will work out for you Greg. Long ago I ordered a Beethoven Harnoncourt 9 Symphonies 5 CD box set from none other than BMG and a single disc was defective. I asked for the single replacement disc and they sent the full set asking no return and no charge. Don't hesitate to report the problem.

Doesn't VII in this box set have two replica inner sleeves (plus two rice paper sleeves) but only one disc?
Maybe the disc is in the other pocket of the outer sleeve gatefold from where you checked, splinter7?

I thought a disc was missing as well when I first opened my set. look again I think they put both discs on 1 blu ray

I thought a disc was missing as well when I first opened my set. look again I think they put both discs on 1 blu ray

I'm confused as to splinter7's query but each album (the ones with 2 original LPs, like VII) only contain one (blu-ray) disc.

There aren't two separate discs for any of the nine albums.

IOW, there's 9 albums and 9 discs total

Nope, I get that the double albums are presented on 1 disc. I am definitely missing the disc unless I can't count to 9.
For salsdali, I am assuming that the double albums have two slip sleeves to replicate the original vinyl release. The other double album has two replica sleeves. One empty and one with the disc.

For VII there is just the sleeve for sides 3 & 4

--Greg

Back