Chick Corea

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esimms86

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
The latest edition of Stereophile magazine includes an interview with jazz pianist Chick Corea. Towards the end of the interview they ask him about his system at home. While admitting that he is rarely home to listen to it, and that he needs to upgrade/update his system, he also states that his home system is set up in 5.1. While it's not obviously impossible or even necessarily unlikely that he may use it for movies as well, Corea does make the point of stating that this is his music listening system.

The latest edition of Stereophile magazine includes an interview with jazz pianist Chick Corea. Towards the end of the interview they ask him about his system at home. While admitting that he is rarely home to listen to it, and that he needs to upgrade/update his system, he also states that his home system is set up in 5.1. While it's not obviously impossible or even necessarily unlikely that he may use it for movies as well, Corea does make the point of stating that this is his music listening system.

While two of COREA'S albums have been remixed into 5.1, his many albums beg for MORE. Surprised with the multi layered nature of his varied jazz output, Chick doesn't revisit his Return to Forever projects and consider surround remixes.

If you are a fan of Corea's solo masterpiece CHILDREN'S SONGS, this elegant and discrete interpretation is very highly recommended: https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=6326

I think all of the Return to Forever albums on Mercury before Romantic Warrior (Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Where Have I Know You Before and No Mystery) would really benefit from 5.1 remixes as well. The original stereo mixes of these albums are amongst the worst I've heard from the 70s, tinny with no bottom end.

In fact, in 2008 when the "classic" lineup reunited, Concord put out a 2CD set called The Anthology that compiled about 80% of the band's output from 1973-1976, and it was all newly remixed in stereo by engineer Mick Guzauski. Despite being a bit over-compressed (presumably in the mastering stage) the new stereo remixes reveal that these were actually superbly recorded albums, and that the old sonic defects in the old mixes were a fault of the mixes themselves and not the way the multitracks were recorded.

Given that Guzauski has some history with surround mixing (he worked on Chuck Mangione's two quad albums, and was Claptons 5.1 mixer of choice) I always wondered (hoped!) if he did the same thing as Bob Clearmountain did, making 5.1 mixes for his own benefit when he did stereo remix work. Guzauski also mixed Daft Punk's Random Access Memories in 2013, another album that I think would be stunning in surround.

I think all of the Return to Forever albums on Mercury before Romantic Warrior (Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, Where Have I Know You Before and No Mystery) would really benefit from 5.1 remixes as well. The original stereo mixes of these albums are amongst the worst I've heard from the 70s, tinny with no bottom end.

In fact, in 2008 when the "classic" lineup reunited, Concord put out a 2CD set called The Anthology that compiled about 80% of the band's output from 1973-1976, and it was all newly remixed in stereo by engineer Mick Guzauski. Despite being a bit over-compressed (presumably in the mastering stage) the new stereo remixes reveal that these were actually superbly recorded albums, and that the old sonic defects in the old mixes were a fault of the mixes themselves and not the way the multitracks were recorded.

Given that Guzauski has some history with surround mixing (he worked on Chuck Mangione's two quad albums, and was Claptons 5.1 mixer of choice) I always wondered (hoped!) if he did the same thing as Bob Clearmountain did, making 5.1 mixes for his own benefit when he did stereo remix work. Guzauski also mixed Daft Punk's Random Access Memories in 2013, another album that I think would be stunning in surround.

Unfortunately, Dave, Jazz seems to be a low priority entity in the surround universe but totally agree most of Chick's 70/80's output would make for some rip roaring surround discs. Perhaps the Wizard of Watford could access some of those 70's/80's analogue masters and release mirror image Stereo SACDs, which, imo, would be astonishing!

Back