Denon Announces two Blu-ray player models. DVD-3808BDCI $2,000 MSRP!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Gerhard

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
I am sure we are all going to run out and get this one:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/denon-li...s-2000-dvd+3800bdci-blu+ray-player-281915.php

One Blu-ray player and one Blu-ray transport which I assume represent the first ability to decode DTS-HD MA when used with an external decoder of some sort which I didn't see mentioned here. This is exciting to read about because it is a sign Denon believes Blu-ray has a future. The great Denon DVD players were always out of my price range, but I always read about them and the technology eventually made it into affordable players.

Chris

Oh ya, I can find no mention of DVD-A/SACD and that disappoints me as I don't think the high resolution audio formats are included. I don't know what Denon is thinking by avoiding that, the DVD-3910/3930/5910 are successful because of outstanding audio performance and this player could have been the ideal Blu-ray entry point for happy owners of the high-end Denon Universal players. Maybe I have missed it, but I searched every imaginable place hoping to find that the audio formats are included without luck.

Chris

Oh ya, I can find no mention of DVD-A/SACD and that disappoints me as I don't think the high resolution audio formats are included. I don't know what Denon is thinking by avoiding that, the DVD-3910/3930/5910 are successful because of outstanding audio performance and this player could have been the ideal Blu-ray entry point for happy owners of the high-end Denon Universal players. Maybe I have missed it, but I searched every imaginable place hoping to find that the audio formats are included without luck.Chris
One thing at a time. I can see, after these initial models, a likely future convergence with the universal audio players.;)

Kal

No SACD/DVD-A, no bucks from me. My 3910 stays until they replace it if ever. For $2K, it would be nice to at least give us that.............

No SACD/DVD-A, no bucks from me. My 3910 stays until they replace it if ever. For $2K, it would be nice to at least give us that.............

I was thinking you guys might feel that way. It seems like a mistake to me but I guess Denon will have the next generation format market covered at higher end audio/video stores anyway. I sure don't think any of them carry Toshiba products. Although this isn't going to be a big seller, it is good news, another respected manufacturer is offering a Blu-ray player. There is a fairly long list of manufacturers that do now.

Chris

My goal of Blu-Ray *and* Denon by Christmas will not happen.

I'm glad that Denon dropped this shoe but did expect a wider selection. Can't blame them; aim high at the onset, collect more for R&D and then start to trickle it down to mid-line later.

Perhaps the very exclusion of DVD-A & SACD makes it seem newer or more exclusive; Denon is not the first brand to do this. I laughed when I saw the Sony flagship Blu-Ray player wouldn't play audio CDs in the Crutchfield catalog.

The Panasonic Blu-Ray Player is really looking like the shrewd move for now.

The Panasonic Blu-Ray Player is really looking like the shrewd move for now.

That is a very good player and it does play DVD-A. The DVD-V performance is not rated nearly as highly as the Samsung BD-P1200, but otherwise, I think it is still the value leader for Blu-ray.

Chris

Bought a Samsung LCD TV so this player would go nicely with that for the same money. My primary DVD-A & SACD listening is another system anyway.

I second that motion ... except I have the 2910. There's no space in my rack (nor extra inputs on my A/V receiver) for another disc player unless it can replace the 2910. I won't be buying an HD DVD player without support for SACD/DVD-A. I may be waiting a long time. :(

I second that motion ... except I have the 2910. There's no space in my rack (nor extra inputs on my A/V receiver) for another disc player unless it can replace the 2910. I won't be buying an HD DVD player without support for SACD/DVD-A. I may be waiting a long time. :(

Since Toshiba is the only company making HD DVD players so far, you might send the company a letter. Toshiba is very responsive to anything consumers want to keep that format afloat right now. Toshiba did have a universal dvd player with SACD/DVD so the company might do it. I think a significant percentage of the potential market for Blu-ray/HD DVD wants SACD/DVD-A. Samsung could do it and might even include all four, Blu-ray/HD DVD/SACD/DVD-A. Samsung is set to release a dual format Blu-ray/HD DVD player and if it is a success, the next player could be what many would want to make the jump.

Chris

One thing at a time. I can see, after these initial models, a likely future convergence with the universal audio players.;)

Kal

Kal, I hope you are psychic. I just get a headache when I try to see the end result of this idiotic format war and what sort of market Blu-ray might achieve.

Chris

Since Toshiba is the only company making HD DVD players so far, you might send the company a letter. Toshiba is very responsive to anything consumers want to keep that format afloat right now. Toshiba did have a universal dvd player with SACD/DVD so the company might do it. I think a significant percentage of the potential market for Blu-ray/HD DVD wants SACD/DVD-A. Samsung could do it and might even include all four, Blu-ray/HD DVD/SACD/DVD-A. Samsung is set to release a dual format Blu-ray/HD DVD player and if it is a success, the next player could be what many would want to make the jump.

Chris

I know they allegedly make great LCD TVs and they have come a long way, but still in my mind the name "Samsung" still means cheap, crappy products, especially in the consumer electronics catagory.

I can't see myself ever buying something from them.........:(

I know they allegedly make great LCD TVs and they have come a long way, but still in my mind the name "Samsung" still means cheap, crappy products, especially in the consumer electronics catagory.

You're not alone with that opinion, but you might read the objective review at Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity for the Samsung BD-P1200 Blu-ray player:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

It is still the highest rated DVD-V player tested this year. I have several Samsung products, universal DVD players, firewire HDTV STB, DirecTV TiVo, and a Blu-ray player. The build quality appears to be acceptable in all cases for the price paid. My one issue has been with firmware and there have been some firmware updates for most of my products fixing most issues. With my SIR-T165 OTA HD STB, they have totally hosed that one with many firmware updates, progressively making matters worse. I still use the darn thing, but it operates strangely despite fine audio/video performance and acceptable recording over firewire, except for timer scheduled recordings, which don't work reliably. They gave up a couple of years ago.

Chris

I had the same feeling until I saw and bought one of their 26" HDTV LCD units for my bedroom. It is amazing.

Still having the same bad feelings about their electronics however, I bought a basic, cheap-assed DVD player (860 or something like that) off eBay for fifty bucks delivered, and it is very nice. Better picture than my Pioneer Elite player, and decent CD sound quality as well.

I still can't see spending a lot of money on one of their units ... but then I am not going to buy into Blue or Purple or friggin' Pink-Ray any time soon, or HD-DVD either for that matter; but my feelings about Samsung have improved a lot lately.

... and if the truth be know, they probably build or supply parts for many brands that we hold in high regard; since they are such a huge player in the industry.

Mike.

My LCD TV is insulted but it has a thick skin. :cool:

I didn't see myself buying one until I did. Sony was $450 more for essentially same set and I could not quantify the difference.

People have a similar preconception about LG as well....

My LCD TV is insulted but it has a thick skin. :cool:

I didn't see myself buying one until I did. Sony was $450 more for essentially same set and I could not quantify the difference.

People have a similar preconception about LG as well....

I know! My internal purchasing alarm goes off for LG as well. I must admit that my brother bought a 50" Samsung LCD TV, and it does look good. Still, when it was my turn, I went with a Pioneer Plasma. :smokin

I talk to Denon so far it will only play blue-ray no dvd audio or sa-cd . but expect changes before the fall also the audio is 7.1/thanks for the headsup trainman92

Back