DGM finally announces 50th anniversary surround deluxe set of IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
😵 I talk to the trees via a trunk line why woodn't I, maybe I'm barking mad, surely you'd already twigged that, so I may as well branch out and take a leaf out of ……………….. nurse he's escaped again!

As In ONE FLEW OVER THE

See the source image

IMO, Mike, your BEST option would be to wait until the reviews of SW's new 5.1 remix ascertain whether it is an actual improvement over the original. I'm sure they'll press enough sets so it won't go OOP anytime too soon! A lot of us have been burned by prematurely pulling the trigger on purchases only to be disappointed by subpar remixes.........remember the Dickie Chycki RUSH fiasco? Glad I didn't pull the trigger on that one.

I plan on waiting for reviews. Wilson stated this new mix was "not better, but more faithful to the original stereo mix." That makes me more curious. I pulled this quote from Ian McDonald about his mixing of Epitaph on the original album:

I would keep the faders moving continually between the two channels, undulating against each other like waves in order to give some sense of movement and dynamic to the thing, so its not just sitting there leaden. If you listen carefully the strings have a slight motion to them."

Going more in that direction would be good. I'll be watching this thread like a hawk.

I understand that. I think what I'm trying to articulate is that even with all the remixing/remastering talent in the world, it's probably not possible for Court to sound as good as those later KC albums because of the limitations of the source material.

I really dug the first version - I thought SW nailed the placement of the instruments in the surround field, and while it's no audiophile masterpiece, I suspect that comes down to the way it was recorded rather than a failure to bring out the best possible sound on the tapes during the remix process. Perhaps the new mix will prove me wrong...
We shall see!

Steven Wilson sez (From Facebook):

King Crimson's seminal 1969 debut album In the Court of the Crimson King is being reissued on 25th October for its 50th anniversary. More details and pre-ordering information can be found on Burning Shed: https://burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson

For the occasion I took the opportunity to revisit the multitrack tapes to produce a new set of stereo and 5.1 remixes. But didn't I already do that 10 years ago? It's true, I originally worked on the album in 2009 as one of my first classic album remix projects, but I felt I wanted to have another attempt with the benefit of 10 years of experience.

The new version is not necessarily better, but it is more faithful to the original, and in addition this time I worked from higher resolution 96K files. This will also be the first time the album has been issued on blu-ray.
There are 2 formats; a 3CD/Blu-Ray set, and a 2LP vinyl.

The first CD includes the new 2019 stereo, plus an instrumental version of this mix. CD2 includes various out-takes and alternate versions, many of which previously appeared on the 2009 edition, but which are now freshly mixed from the higher resolution files. Finally CD3 is the original 1969 mix plus some additional bonus material.

The Blu-ray includes the 1969, 2019, instrumental, and 5.1 mixes, along with much bonus material, all in high resolution. Meanwhile the 200gram 2LP vinyl edition includes the new mix on record one, and various alternate versions on record 2.

Note that all the material on this set will also feature on a forthcoming “Complete 1969 Sessions” box set, due some time in 2020.

Last edited:
Full Blu-Ray track listing:

Blu-Ray NTSC, Zone ABC, playable on all BD players & drives

DTS-HD MA 5.1 & LPCM 5.1/DTS-HD MA Stereo & LPCM 24/96

2019 5.1 mixes

1 21st Century Schizoid Man
2 I Talk to the Wind
3 Epitaph
4 Moonchild
5 The Court of the Crimson King

Additional track

6 I Talk to the Wind (duo version)

Mixed by Steven Wilson

Original Master Edition

2 I Talk to the Wind
3 Epitaph
4 Moonchild

Produced by King Crimson

Alternate Album

2 I Talk to the Wind
3 I Talk to the Wind
4 Epitaph
5 Epitaph
6 Moonchild
7 The Court of the Crimson King

1 Morgan studios June 1969 take with Greg Lake vocal overdubs from Wessex August 1969 & Mel Collins & Jakko Jakszyk August 2019 overdubs
2 Alternate 2019 mix
3 Duo version, full length master, 2019 mix
4 Vocals isolated/highlighted, 2019 mix
5 Alt take - 2019 mix
6 Take 1, 2019 mix
7 Morgan studios, June 1969 take, 2019 mix

Mixed by Steven Wilson except 1, 4 mixed by David Singleton

Additional material

1 Wind Session
2 21st Century Schizoid Man
3 I Talk to the Wind
4 Epitaph
5 Moonchild
6 The Court of the Crimson King
7 21st Century Schizoid Man
8 The Court of the Crimson King (part 1)
9 The Court of the Crimson King (part 2)

1 2019 stereo mix
2 Trio version, 2019 mix
3 Studio run through, 2019 mix
4 Backing track, 2019 mix
5 Album edit, 2009 mix
6 Take 3, 2009 mix
7 Morgan studios take, June 1969
8, 9 Single a/b side, 1969

Mixed by Steven Wilson 1 – 6, Mixed by King Crimson 7 – 9

2019 Instrumental mixes

2 I Talk to the Wind
3 Epitaph
4 Moonchild

Mixed by Steven Wilson

Video: 21csm extract Hyde Park 1969

Having a quick look, tracks new to this set compared to the 40th DVD / CD set (apart from new 2019 mixes) are:
21st CSM morgan studios
Epitaph vocal only - released as a recent download
CofCK morgan studios
21st CSM trio version
CofCK single a and b sides

Last edited:
I told myself I would pass on this set already owning the 40th set. But,I am weak and pre-ordered the new box set. This year is turning out like last year with all the box sets. Already pre-ordered this set,Beatles Abbey Road, Jethro Tull Stormwatch. And who knows what else might be coming out that I’ll have to buy. Weak I’m weak.:confused:

I told myself I would pass on this set already owning the 40th set. But,I am weak and pre-ordered the new box set. This year is turning out like last year with all the box sets. Already pre-ordered this set,Beatles Abbey Road, Jethro Tull Stormwatch. And who knows what else might be coming out that I’ll have to buy. Weak I’m weak.:confused:
No Marillion or Dukes?

It feels like they are milking this one a bit, I'll be waiting for you all to tell me how great it is in comparison to the 2009 one, October is busy enough at the moment!

Back