[engadget.com] Entelligence: Why Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio haven’t caught on

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Majors don't push the multichannel sound there's no way to make people feel music in a different way.
I've just moved and i had to set up my mch set on a different office; as soon as it was up and running with "hotel california" and "dsotm - quad" people here were just blown away and now wonder how to get this on their home.

Sony screws up again. It's like beta all over again. SACD while good confused the marketplace and has split the buyers of software and hardware. Long live DVD-Audio

Hmm, let's scan through the basis for these new standards:

1. Is the industry supporting them? Well, right now I cannot think of any major HiFi manufacturer that does NOT mention SACD and DVD-A in their catalogue.

2. Has the media companies adopted them? 2000+ SACD albums available, and many DVD-A too. And new releases every month.

3. Are consumers convinced of their superiority? Some are, like me, and judging buy what I see in record stores I'm not the only one. Still, most people don't even know SACD and DVD-A exist. But I tell you one thing: if this X-mas one hi-rez disc was given for free with each multiformat player sold, then we finally would know what consumers think.

So is it then impossible to reach critical mass? Let's put together US, West Europe and Japan and say 1% of population is audio- and technophile enough to buy 1 hi-rez disc per month:

500.000.000 x 0.01 x 12 x 20$ = some 1.200 million dollar sales per year.

This, my friends, is too big business to be neglected. Especially since it can benefit from existing distribution channels and partially be based on existing recordings.

Cheers
AL

I still believe the biggest impediments to both SACD & DVD-A are down to 2 things.
1/. Stores do not know how to sell these. Especially in the UK. I have lost count of the times I have been told that the "DVD-Audio is over there" to be pointed at a rack of Music DVD-V.
It is just as bad hardware wise too. I've recently had problewms with a Pioneer player - now almost resolved - but went shopping for a second player just in case. When I got to the store, the salesman did not know how to hook up the player, had never even seen a DVD-A disc before (I took a couple with me to make sure the "problem discs" played back) and was convinced it was not working because he could not get 24/96 MLP from a Coaxial connection.
The salesmen do not know what they are selling, the record stores do not understand what it even is!

2/. Until the stores get the stock, and understand what they are selling, sales will not increase. Until sales increase there will continue to be a shortage of titles.
This is a vicious catch 22, as the stores will not order the stock, as "there is no demand for it".

It's that old favourite often complained about - "we only stock what is in the top 20/40/100 (delete as approriate) - yet how is anything supposed to get into any chart if you cannot buy it in the first place!

Situation in Madrid's record stores is not that bad, IMO. They no longer hide SACD and DVD-A among a zillion CDs in alphabetical order. Still no advertizing, but at least their staff can point out the "super audio" shelf. I'd say 100-150 titles are available over here, putting together the outlets I know. I try to buy locally, but use Amazon UK too for "emergencies".

On the other hand, we have the same problem with the "yes, thou shall connect thy SACD player with S/PDIF cable" salesmen. Even in high-end stores and the chic-est mall of them all. Sigh--- But after some extensive learning from A/V internet forums, I don't really ask for salesmen's opinion anymore.

Safe listening
AL

Hi Guys,
Many of you may have heard of Dr. Edward DeBono. He's the father of Lateral thinking. I took a seminar on the subject way back in the late seventies and when I just Googled him, I noticed he's still giving it.

Basically one of his suggestions is to attach a problem from the proverbial "left field" instead of head on.

While thinking about this problem I discounted Marketing of product Higher Resolutions, and to some extent equipment. What I came up with is the fact that most people listen to music as a secondary activity while their doing something else.

If this is truly the case and we also (as about 20 pages of discussion in this forum have attested to "Does HIREZ nean mltich to you") believe that mltich is a major lure then we have to go to the famous "Sweet Spot".

Unless we are willing to strap ourselves into it mltich SACD or DVD-A can be quite annoying disorganised background noise. It will of course have a following of commited sweet spot music lovers.

The frantic pace of life in general will be the biggest blockade to it becoming mainstream.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Hi Guys,
Many of you may have heard of Dr. Edward DeBono. He's the father of Lateral thinking. I took a seminar on the subject way back in the late seventies and when I just Googled him, I noticed he's still giving it.

Basically one of his suggestions is to attach a problem from the proverbial "left field" instead of head on.

While thinking about this problem I discounted Marketing of product Higher Resolutions, and to some extent equipment. What I came up with is the fact that most people listen to music as a secondary activity while their doing something else.

If this is truly the case and we also (as about 20 pages of discussion in this forum have attested to "Does HIREZ nean mltich to you") believe that mltich is a major lure then we have to go to the famous "Sweet Spot".

Unless we are willing to strap ourselves into it mltich SACD or DVD-A can be quite annoying disorganised background noise. It will of course have a following of commited sweet spot music lovers.

The frantic pace of life in general will be the biggest blockade to it becoming mainstream.

Peter m.
I have had my Sherwood unit in my truck for years now, and it is the place i listen to MC most often. Why is it taking so long to get this in autos at a reasonable price point? That will drive the MC market better than any other reason.

Hi Tad,
The car manufacturers are listening to exactly that suggestion which should be a natural. Leafing through the latest audio and ht publications, I noticed a list of cars that will come with it.

But what do you do if your Aston Martin is in the shop.

Kidding aside I think the automobile will probably be a huge market as soon as prices are within everyone's reach. It's still software that sells hardware so I hope the record companies keep pumping it out.

Peter m.

Back