Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know. Even regular RBCDs are pricey compared to movies. Music is rarely on sale at 40% or 50% off but movies are all the time. I have always wondered why that is.

You don't have a monopoly on being a hoarder. A good many of us have that issue. At least what we hoard can be listened to or watched (and resold if we are so inclined). I also have music and movies that I haven't gotten around to listen, there just isn't enough time in the day.

Ironically, most of the Major movie studios own the Record Companies [although separate divisions] so one does wonder why music discs are priced so HIGH and why some are released in such 'limited quantities?

Watched this terrific 'beauty' tonight and highly recommend it to anyone interested in a different type of science fiction and the future possibilities of altering the genome sequence we are born with. Picture and sound are likewise excellent with a nice immersive Dolby Atmos/DTS HD MA 5.1 soundfield. Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law, Alan Arkin, Gore Vidal and Loren Dean all turn in exceptional performances.

GATTACA (4K Ultra HD)

From StudioCanal and director Luis Buñuel

http://thedigitalbits.com/item/discreet-charm-studiocanal-2022-uhd

81tVIdyz7SL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Watched this terrific 'beauty' tonight and highly recommend it to anyone interested in a different type of science fiction and the future possibilities of altering the genome sequence we are born with. Picture and sound are likewise excellent with a nice immersive Dolby Atmos/DTS HD MA 5.1 soundfield. Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law, Alan Arkin, Gore Vidal and Loren Dean all turn in exceptional performances.

GATTACA (4K Ultra HD)
Yep, a goodie! Did you notice Dean Norris as the cop that interacted with Jude? I was like, "Hey, it's Hank from Breaking Bad!". I forget he's in Terminator 2 too and usually think the same thing when I watch it.

Last edited:
From thedigitalbits regarding the third installment in COLUMBIA CLASSICS VOLUME III [UHD4K] likely to be released in time for the holidays:

You may recall that we mentioned on Monday that Sony Pictures Home Entertainment was working on a new Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection: Volume 3 box set for release in time for the holidays, and that our industry sources were indicating that As Good As It Gets (1997) and From Here to Eternity (1953) were among the titles expected to be included. We’ve now learned from Spanish retail sources that Annie (1982), The Last Picture Show (1971), and It Happened One Night (1934) are likely to be included as well. We’ll post official details as soon as Sony announces them.

We watch movies to be entertained and I was particularly impressed [although the critics obviously WERE NOT] with Warner's STUNNING 3D presentation of Jupiter Ascending purchased for less than the price of a RBCD during Amazon Prime's recent blow out sales. As previously stated, the combination of LG OLED's 3D technology had reached a level where a lot of 3D movies have the appearance of 4K and Jupiter Ascending is a prime example of excellence where the Wachowski's immense landscapes and set designs take on infinite proportions. IMO, Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis have excellent chemistry and the special effects/CGI are likewise exceptional. And Warner's inclusion of a highly immersive Dolby ATMOS soundtrack is just the 🍒on top. Warner's three disc set includes the 3D B~V, 2D BD~V and a DVD. HIGHLY Recommended.

91LZo-HhlKL._SL1500_.jpg

R.24442fc93ba2539471e5f104cbb17a1e

Last edited:
We watch movies to be entertained and I was particularly impressed [although the critics obviously WERE NOT] with Warner's STUNNING 3D presentation of Jupiter Ascending purchased for less than the price of a RBCD during Amazon Prime's recent blow out sales. As previously stated, the combination of LG OLED's 3D technology had reached a level where a lot of 3D movies have the appearance of 4K and Jupiter Ascending is a prime example of excellence where the Wachowski's immense landscapes and set designs take on infinite proportions. IMO, Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis have excellent chemistry and the special effects/CGI are likewise exceptional. And Warner's inclusion of a highly immersive Dolby ATMOS soundtrack is just the 🍒on top. Warner's three disc set includes the 3D B~V, 2D BD~V and a DVD. HIGHLY Recommended.

91LZo-HhlKL._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for the heads up! I remember looking up reviews of this one because I hadn't heard of it but they were poor as you said, so I passed. Is the story-line at least decent? It's hard to tell from reviews because like everything else these days, there seems to be weird manipulation going on at times.

Thanks for the heads up! I remember looking up reviews of this one because I hadn't heard of it but they were poor as you said, so I passed. Is the story-line at least decent? It's hard to tell from reviews because like everything else these days, there seems to be weird manipulation going on at times.
I also passed this one up because of the poor reviews but rest assured, if you have a great 3D monitor you will be WOWED! The price has slightly increased [I paid $12 for it] but, IMO, IT'S WELL WORTH IT. I thought it was a BLAST! IMO, destined to become a cult classic!

I found Jupiter Ascending attractive but silly. Entertaining? Sure, but not great cinema.
It if helps, I love Kurosawa, Jarmusch, Jean-Pierre Melville and Hitman (so basically I am not a reliable source)

Last edited:
I found Jupiter Ascending attractive but a silly. Entertaining? Sure, but not great cinema.
It if helps, I love Kurosawa, Jarmusch, Jean-Pierre Melville and Hitman (so basically I am not a reliable source)
I think watching it in 3D was a BONUS ...... caught clips in 2D on streaming devices and it was much less effective.

Am also a fan of all your aforementioned directors .... but IMO, this movie was awesome escapist FUN FUN FUN!

I also passed this one up because of the poor reviews but rest assured, if you have a great 3D monitor you will be WOWED! The price has slightly increased [I paid $12 for it] but, IMO, IT'S WELL WORTH IT. I thought it was a BLAST! IMO, destined to become a cult classic!
I have a recent LG OLED so no luck with 3D unfortunately. I'll probably grab the 4K the next time it goes on sale though so thanks! A mindless, fun movie is nice once in a while as long as it's not approaching Pearl Harbor territory. :)

I have a recent LG OLED so no luck with 3D unfortunately. I'll probably grab the 4K the next time it goes on sale though so thanks! A mindless, fun movie is nice once in a while as long as it's not approaching Pearl Harbor territory. :)
Why LG stopped manufacturing 3D Monitors still remains a mystery. I had a Panasonic Plasma 3D Monitor and IMO, it absolutely SUCKED! 3D is still popular in Europe and Japan and they're still making 3D movies. And NO exaggeration when I say 3D on an LG OLED TV approaches 4K territory and in some instances looks better than a lot of actual UHD4K discs!

After Dark - Neo Noir 6 Movie Pack: After Dark: Neo Noir Cinema Collection One (Imprint Collection #124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129) | Via Vision Entertainment

1. I've been watching these for the past few weeks and really enjoyed it overall.
2. 3 have a 5.1 track but any surround activity is negligible. You can switch to the 24-bit stereo LPCM track, let your receiver make a surround mix out of it and it pretty much sounds the same. It's like they just got the stereo track, clicked the "Make 5.1" button in whatever software they use and presto, there's your "surround" mix. Oh well.
3. I got this set primarily for One False Move which I saw on DVD years ago and it stuck with me. It's an underseen gem from Carl Franklin.
4. After Dark, My Sweet is also a great flick. I've never seen Jason Patric this good.
5. Flesh and Bone is another goodie. It seemed familiar so I may have seen it back in the 90's but I can't be sure. I remember the cover from Blockbuster Video days.
6. The other 3 are worth a look too: Mortal Thoughts (Bruce Willis being a character for a change), Rush (Jason Patric and Jennifer Jason Leigh were great) and Twilight (The New man and the Hack man in the same movie!).
7. Like all of Imprint's movies, they're flippin' expensive but I got mine on sale so yay.
8. You probably won't watch any of the extras more than once - Jason Patric's interviews for the 2 movies he's in are the best + Bruce Dern's (all interviews were done in 2022).
9. Includes a booklet with an essay on each movie.

Why LG stopped manufacturing 3D Monitors still remains a mystery. I had a Panasonic Plasma 3D Monitor and IMO, it absolutely SUCKED! 3D is still popular in Europe and Japan and they're still making 3D movies. And NO exaggeration when I say 3D on an LG OLED TV approaches 4K territory and in some instances looks better than a lot of actual UHD4K discs!
Yeah, I don't get it. Strange they abandoned it here just when people were starting to take notice but I guess it's par for the course in electronics! I've only seen a few movies in 3D on my Panasonic plasma so I have no idea what I'm missing. I'm sure they'll bring it back now that I've finally purchased an OLED. :)

91LZo-HhlKL._SL1500_.jpg

Sadly, 3D pics at theaters have gone into hibernation again, at least at my local cinemas. I loved the 3D effects in the first GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, and am saddened Marvel's latest don't have 3D.

Back