Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Italian screen legend Gina LOLLOBRIGIDA DIES AT AGE 95

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/gina-lollobrigida-italian-actress-dead-95

Italian actress Gina Lollobrigida has died at 95.

I would LOVE QQ Forum feedback on THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN! I had DVRed it from HBO in 1080 resolution with a DD 5.1 soundtrack and watched it intently last night and frankly, expecting a 'comedy' it was anything BUT! Of course the acting, cinematography and Carter Burwell's immersive score were without fault but the thick Irish accents and slang throughout necessitated engaging the cc subtitles. Taking place during the Irish Civil War of 1923 on a remote and ficticious Island off the coast of Ireland, I found it ultimately depressing and when Colin Farrell's character [spoiler alert] removed the severed finger of his former BFF, which, apparently choked his beloved miniature donkey, Jenny, it was indeed the Middle Finger! Such despair, isolation and ennui all pointed to a civil war within the inhabitants of that remote fictional island of Inisherin! And if that was the point, IMO, it succeeded brilliantly!

61IO9Vd0aUL._SL1500_.jpg
I bought the blu-ray recently. I saw the film in a theater when first released. I liked the film because of the Irish setting and language. I knew the story going in and knew it was described as a dark comedy.

I bought the blu-ray recently. I saw the film in a theater when first released. I liked the film because of the Irish setting and language. I knew the story going in and knew it was described as a dark comedy.
Admittedly there were some very funny lines but as one reviewer posted ...NO musician in his right mind would ever chop his fingers off! And maybe that WAS the point!

Maybe I'll now finally watch BELFAST ... as a chaser!

Last edited:
Pete, the closest analogy to Banshees just might be Philip Ridley's 'cult classic' THE REFLECTING SKIN with a very young Viggo Mortensen and Lindsay Duncan. When I screened it for a friend he surmised it was the WORST film he had ever seen. But seriously, he missed the point ..... that childhood can indeed be VERY VERY Frightening. If you have a chance, I very highly recommend it:

81uu2egNjBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Good to know. I've seen it and it is an unusual one! Great cinematography.

More tidbits from the Digital Bits:

And while we’re on the subject of Criterion, I don’t know if this particular title will be announced tomorrow, but I’ve heard from sources that among the titles the company is currently working on for eventual 4K Ultra HD release are Terry Gilliam’s The Fisher King (1991) and Ridley Scott’s Thelma & Louise (1991).

More tidbits from the Digital Bits:

And while we’re on the subject of Criterion, I don’t know if this particular title will be announced tomorrow, but I’ve heard from sources that among the titles the company is currently working on for eventual 4K Ultra HD release are Terry Gilliam’s The Fisher King (1991) and Ridley Scott’s Thelma & Louise (1991).
Got the email today. Looks like The Fisher King is scheduled for an April release. No mention of Thelma and Louise yet.

Was in a somewhat Nostaglic mood early this AM and was curious about the recent UHD4K restoration of John Bahdam's SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER. If you're an Amazon Prime member, they are showing it in 4K with a DD 5.1 soundtrack and to my eyes and ears it was an awesome transfer ... am sure the Paramount Native UHD4K with DTS~HD MA 5.1 soundtrack is even better than 'streaming.'

Although hokey/dated in parts, Travolta shines but unless you originally saw it in a first rate movie theater, IMO, this is the next BEST way to experience it!

8182bOMRs9L._SL1500_.jpg

Is it just me or are 4K sales limited this past month or so? I missed on Heat for $8.99, but otherwise it seems like everything is in the $25-30 range since Xmas.
Traditionally, Amazon has their uber blow out 4K/BD~V sales during November's Black Friday/Cyber Monday periods. But if you visit blu~ray.com's website frequently, as I do, they do have some fantastic LIGHTNING DEALS [like Heat for $8.99] which don't last long and a lot of 50% off sales on box sets!

https://www.blu-ray.com/deals/?category=bluray
You may want to add this to your BOOKMARK links.

If you are keen on a title it is also worth adding it to your Amazon wishlist because sometimes they get great coupons that are not reflected in the prices at blu-ray.com.
Take the recent $20 on the Danial Craig 5 Film Bond 4k set ... $39.99 after the clip was a solid deal that you list would show.
I notice a lot of those Amazon coupons likewise appear during Christmas, New Years and other holiday periods and they can save you a lot of money.

Back