First Impression Music M/C SACD's

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cai Campbell

In Remembrance
Since 2002/2003
I just picked up a batch of SACD's produced by FIM (First Impression Music.) These are INCREDIBLE sounding discs. The FIM catalog is a bit esoteric, but if you want to hear the best that SACD has to offer, look no further than FIM.

However, I must admit that I am dissapointed with their multi-channel titles. Three that I picked up (Antiphone Blues, Jazz At The Pawnshop, and Autumn In Seattle) are not true multi-channel recordings. The surround sound is derived from the stereo masters with "skilful utilization of new technology to create a 'Multi-channel' version of this recording".

Um, okay, but I wish this info was included with the advertising literature instead of being "buried" in the SACD booklet. Oh well, I guess Silverline and DVD-A don't have a monopoly on "fake" surround anymore.

With that said, I must admit that FIM has done a tasteful job in their execution of the surround-sound synthesis on these discs. They go for a strictly ambient effect that is quite pleasing and spacious. Still, I would prefer a true multi-channel mix and feel that these titles would have been better left in their native domain.

Yes, the FIM SACDs offer fine sound but the use of surround is very conservative. Definitely from the "ambient" school of surround. Ditto for some of the Opus 3 Multichannel SACDs.

If you're looking for immersive surround and very high quality, I'd strong recommend a look at the Telarc Multichannel SACDs - especially the recent ones. You'll find most of them to be at the top of the SACDs available sonically.

It's not a matter of "ambient" vs. "active". It's "discrete" vs. "synthesized". I love both ambient and active mixes, as long as they represent actual recorded tracks and not some extrapolation from stereo source material.

The Telarc and Opus stuff, even the "ambient" titles, I believe, are discretely recorded to multi-track for surround-sound mastering. From what I've heard, Chesky has done the best job in capturing ambience in this manner.

So, Brian, all I'm doing is warning people that the FIM discs are synthesized surround. That's all.

Back