George Harrison's "All Things Must Pass" (5.1 & Dolby Atmos remixes coming soon!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waiting for my copy from Amazon and licking my lips in anticipation after reading all the great comments. I now have my excuse to go from 5.1 to 7.1. My loving partner will be happy to know, more wires and more speakers! George is her favorite, so I figure now is as as safe a time as ever to make my move. It will be interesting to see how much different the two will sound to me.

Tim, maybe try comparing the disc's spindle hole (or whatever they call it) with other discs that work and see if it could be under/over sized or off center; something like that.
This can be a good answer. I have had 2 or 3 playback problems with Blu Ray discs out of many and I took light sand paper and lightly rubbed the inside of the spindle hole and corrected the problem.
I went through four Quadrphenia discs before someone told me about that.

Waiting for my copy from Amazon and licking my lips in anticipation after reading all the great comments. I now have my excuse to go from 5.1 to 7.1. My loving partner will be happy to know, more wires and more speakers! George is her favorite, so I figure now is as as safe a time as ever to make my move. It will be interesting to see how much different the two will sound to me.

I don't think 7.1 will give you anything significantly different from 5.1 in this disc. As I said above, I've not noticed any rear activity apart from the most minimal reverb. Turning the rears up +12dB leaves them still almost imperceptible.

I find this surprising, because the Atmos 7.1 tracks I've seen previously have made clear use of all 7 speakers. This is like playing a 5.1 track with the surround rears disabled instead of using PLIIx.

I don't think 7.1 will give you anything significantly different from 5.1 in this disc. As I said above, I've not noticed any rear activity apart from the most minimal reverb. Turning the rears up +12dB leaves them still almost imperceptible.

I find this surprising, because the Atmos 7.1 tracks I've seen previously have made clear use of all 7 speakers. This is like playing a 5.1 track with the surround rears disabled instead of using PLIIx.
This is very active for me using all 7.1 speakers decoding Atmos up until the last 4 tracks. It's Johnny's Birthday, Plug Me In, I Remember Jeep and Thanks For The Pepperoni all seem to be front heavy and not much activity in the sides and backs.

This is very active for me using all 7.1 speakers decoding Atmos up until the last 4 tracks. It's Johnny's Birthday, Plug Me In, I Remember Jeep and Thanks For The Pepperoni all seem to be front heavy and not much activity in the sides and backs.
Yes they are basically stereo but still very good sound

You say "decoding Atmos" though - I can imagine that gets different results. I'm just playing and talking about the 7.1 TrueHD from the Atmos track - It sounded like Todd 987 was plotting a non-Atmos 5.1->7.1 upgrade.

(Still, from previous experience, I would normally have expected rear 7.1 activity if it was there in the Atmos decode).

No multitracks exist for the Apple Jams. They all come from a 2-track tape reel that was kept running throughout the sessions.

Bobby Whitlock who plays on All Things must Pass, received a complementary copy from the Harrison Estate.
He listened to the vinyl and fucking hates it. Personally I don't have a record player, but for those who do you can listen to Bobby's You Tube here:

I Love it when Bobby describes, in his crusty voice, the 'little gnomes" that came with his LPs: Whitlock: "I'm gonna place them on the shelf and rearrange them ..."

c0f34471e13b7b916b8ce5eaab662703_1080x_nw.jpeg

The only things that didn't PISS Bobby Off on his ALL THINGS MUST PISS LPs!

Last edited:
I Love it when Bobby describes, in his crusty voice, the 'little gnomes" that came with his LPs: Whitlock: "I'm gonna place them on the shelf and rearrange them ..."

c0f34471e13b7b916b8ce5eaab662703_1080x_nw.jpeg

The only things that didn't PISS Bobby Off on his ALL THINGS MUST PISS LPs!
Anyone here buy the LP’s….is this a joke or is everyone who bought the LP’s and Uber Box going to send them all back

Last edited:
I’ve been enjoying these threads immensely while I wait until… ugh… Wednesday… for my copy. In the meantime, I’ve listened to the stereo mix (which I already overall prefer over the original) and listened once to on TIDAL (though it was oddly 5.1, not ATMOS on my system). I sat through Bobby Whitlock’s rant (which may be about more than the actual mix), read some fascinating reviews, and watched some truly odd YouTube reviews. In one, the host shared which songs he will listen to from the new mix and which he’s decided he’ll stick to the “30th anniversary mix” because apparently the new one is too loud or something. Welp. But maybe my favorite thing (besides some of the written deep dives) is this that folks here may get a chuckle out of either between listens or, like me, while waiting for the first proper listen.

I dare say George might’ve chuckled at the first three minutes of the video.

Is anyone else having an issue playing this Blu Ray on their Oppo BDP103? I've tried 6 times, changed batteries, confirmed I had the latest (last) firmware, stood in front of the player IR window, pressed the Play button the front of the player. If I try to select any of the Audio Options beyond the default stereo mix, I get nothing and the unit is out of my control. No top menu, stop or eject. I have to turn the Oppo player OFF and then on to get the disc out. Usually no issues with whatever I play.

So I go to the quad system and pop in in the BDP-93 and I can select the 5.1 mix and away it goes any which way you'd like. The only option I have with the BDP-103 is to make no audio selection or touch anything else. Head scratching in the shallow South. It's gonna be a Sony UDP-X800 debut tonight I guess...

I am having menu problems on the ATMP blu ray. I have a Samsung UBD-M8500 Blu ray. The remote only accepts enter and not up or down choices. After 15 minutes of enters, open trays and shut downs, the curser landed on DTS. Today I heard the high res choice by default. I was unable to get the DTS again. Truly frustrating.

I am having menu problems on the ATMP blu ray. I have a Samsung UBD-M8500 Blu ray. The remote only accepts enter and not up or down choices. After 15 minutes of enters, open trays and shut downs, the curser landed on DTS. Today I heard the high res choice by default. I was unable to get the DTS again. Truly frustrating.
I too had the problem until I pushed the arrow up or down on the remote and the pressed enter. When you arrow up or down it won’t show on the screen until you hit enter. This is terrible and not intuitive at all.

FedEx said it was to be delivered on Saturday, but no dice. Now they say it's today. I wonder what is going on with FedEx. I bought an item on-line last month. The vendor shipped promptly, but FedEx kept the item at it's Kentucky hub for six days before moving it to the next point. I guess COVID is still affecting some areas more than others, and that is impacting shipments by certain carriers depending on the origin point.

Is anyone else having an issue playing this Blu Ray on their Oppo BDP103? I've tried 6 times, changed batteries, confirmed I had the latest (last) firmware, stood in front of the player IR window, pressed the Play button the front of the player. If I try to select any of the Audio Options beyond the default stereo mix, I get nothing and the unit is out of my control. No top menu, stop or eject. I have to turn the Oppo player OFF and then on to get the disc out. Usually no issues with whatever I play.

So I go to the quad system and pop in in the BDP-93 and I can select the 5.1 mix and away it goes any which way you'd like. The only option I have with the BDP-103 is to make no audio selection or touch anything else. Head scratching in the shallow South. It's gonna be a Sony UDP-X800 debut tonight I guess...
Yes, a friend of mine that got the set said the only audio option he can see on the menu is PCM Stereo. He tried it in two different players. He called Amazon and they sent him a replacement. I haven't heard back yet if the replacement worked.

Yes, a friend of mine that got the set said the only audio option he can see on the menu is PCM Stereo. He tried it in two different players. He called Amazon and they sent him a replacement. I haven't heard back yet if the replacement worked.
For $120, the menu, and everything else for that manner, should not be buggy.

I too had the problem until I pushed the arrow up or down on the remote and the pressed enter. When you arrow up or down it won’t show on the screen until you hit enter. This is terrible and not intuitive at all.
This is not true on my copy, though the difference between green text (the default) and black (highlighted) is pretty hard to see.

Back