Good demo moments from Atmos music blu-rays

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uffeolby

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I am thinking of upgrading my system to be Atmos capable and will soon visit some good shops for advice and of course some serious listening sessions. I have a feeling that most people interested in Atmos is more focusing on movies rather than the music we discuss on this forum...

So what I am asking for here is some good examples of the Atmos format on music Blu-ray discs. Some specific song or part of song that is impressive in this format.

Any suggestions are welcome but it does not hurt if it is from any of the following discs that I own ;)

Ten Years AfterA Space In TimeBDA Atmos/5.1/Quad/Stereo
Porcupine TreeClosure/ContinuationBD 5.1/Stereo/Atmos + CD*3
Tears For FearsThe Tipping PointBD 5.1 + Atmos
Loreena McKennittThe VisitBD 5.1 + Atmos + 2ch + CD*4
YelloPointBD Atmos/Stereo
Steven WilsonThe Future BitesBD Atmos/5.1/Stereo + CD*3
DiverseRocketmanBD + 4K 5.1/Atmos
The BeatlesAbbey RoadBD Stereo/5.1/Atmos + CD*3
Bob DylanTime Out Of MindBDA Atmos/Stereo
James BondNo Time To DieBD + 4K 5.1/Atmos
Gentle GiantFree HandBD Atmos/5.1/Stereo + CD
Hans ZimmerLive in PragueBD Atmos + 5.1 + Stereo
INXSKickBD Atmos/5.1/Stereo + CD*3

Bump!

C'mon guys and gals - you must have some hallelujah moments to share when it comes to Atmos mixes. Keep them coming :51QQ

Yello - Point is great in 5.1 and got a lot of praise if I'm not mistaken. Not equipped for atmos here but I think you can't go wrong with the Steven Wilson stuff. Don't know if your cup of tea but Kraftwerk 3d was also liked a lot as were the Booka Shade blurays. Now let the Atmos crowd chime in :giggle:.

C'mon guys and gals - you must have some hallelujah moments to share when it comes to Atmos mixes.
From your list:

Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation
  • "Harridan" - After the heavy section ends at around 4:25, everything cuts out except a synth wildly swirling around the top speakers
  • "Walk The Plank" - vocals are primarily in the top speakers during the chorus, and there's a crazy panning synth up there starting in the second verse (around 1:29
  • "Chimera's Wreck" - the whole heavy riffing part starting at around 5:22 is great, but there's a particularly fun bit where the guitar solo flies around the heights at 6:20-ish
Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point
  • "The Tipping Point" - the entire intro section up to around 1:00 is great, uses all channels nicely
  • "My Demons" - synth flies around the top speakers during the chorus, and there's a guitar that flies by at ear level at around 2:25
  • "Master Plans" - piano moves around the tops throughout the entire track, doubled vocals in the rear heights during the chorus
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
  • "Just The Same" - the synths starting at around 2:05 move around the top speakers
  • "On Reflection" - during the slow part starting at 2:00-ish, Kerry's vocals alternate between the center channel and front heights
Steven Wilson - The Future Bites
  • "King Ghost" - the whole track is great, but the outro (from like 3:36 to the end) really fills the room
  • "Personal Shopper" - the whole Elton John spoken word section

From your list:

Porcupine Tree - Closure/Continuation
  • "Harridan" - After the heavy section ends at around 4:25, everything cuts out except a synth wildly swirling around the top speakers
  • "Walk The Plank" - vocals are primarily in the top speakers during the chorus, and there's a crazy panning synth up there starting in the second verse (around 1:29
  • "Chimera's Wreck" - the whole heavy riffing part starting at around 5:22 is great, but there's a particularly fun bit where the guitar solo flies around the heights at 6:20-ish
Tears For Fears - The Tipping Point
  • "The Tipping Point" - the entire intro section up to around 1:00 is great, uses all channels nicely
  • "My Demons" - synth flies around the top speakers during the chorus, and there's a guitar that flies by at ear level at around 2:25
  • "Master Plans" - piano moves around the tops throughout the entire track, doubled vocals in the rear heights during the chorus
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
  • "Just The Same" - the synths starting at around 2:05 move around the top speakers
  • "On Reflection" - during the slow part starting at 2:00-ish, Kerry's vocals alternate between the center channel and front heights
Steven Wilson - The Future Bites
  • "King Ghost" - the whole track is great, but the outro (from like 3:36 to the end) really fills the room
  • "Personal Shopper" - the whole Elton John spoken word section
Many thanks, sjcorne! Just what I was looking for. Keep them coming, folks!

Kraftwerk 3D has many great moments:
- Boing Boom Tschak to Techno Pop, all speakers engaged in a good way
- Tour de France, from minute 1, again all speakers progressively being engaged in a very effective way
Most tracks are good but these two came to mind.

A-Ha, Take on Me, half-way through (minute 2).

King Crimson: 21st Century Schizoid Man, at 3:30 Fripp's guitar from the ceiling, all speakers engaged and very strong track
King Crimson: I Talk to the Wind, particularly from 4:40 the flute moves around the room

Frank Zappa (there's only one blu-ray with his mixes. All of them)

Kiss - Destroyer, Detroit Rock City, car's sounds jumping from left to right and front to rear above you. From 2:30/3:00

Linkin' Park -- Hybrid Theory, One Step Closer, In the End, the best is Cure for the Itch

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (On the run, Time, Money, any colour you like)

Queen, Another one bites the dust, demo track from beginning to end

If you like Robert Fripp's Exposure, it's full of great moments. I think the title track is great. Also Under Heavy Manners - The Zero of the Signified. This is difficult music to digest, I would not recommend it for a demo unless the listener is into it.

Talking Heads, Drugs

The Doors, Riders on the Storm is great in Atmos. Also Cars Hiss by my window, with step sounds moving around you.

Zhu, Dreamland, Sky is crying, from 2:00 and again with the sax towards the end.

In addition to the bubble immersion effect, and discrete ping-pong static or moving/panning sounds, I like too the binaural effect "inside the head" that sometimes I get from sounds coming from both side speakers, if located near to 90º

One example of this is:

xPropaganda - The Heart is Strange - Beauty is Truth , when the voice says: "Lies, lies, lies", "In your eyes, eyes, eyes"

I'd echo a lot of these, but in addition:

1. I think "Rivers of Mercy" by Tears for Fears from The Tipping Point is demo material start to finish.
2. The Atmos streaming version of American Beauty by the Grateful Dead; a lot of it is great but "Attics of My Life" has the harmony voices coming out of all the speakers around you and it has a stunning "cathedral" like quality—amazing

Back