Herbie Hancock - Secrets ...anyone ever seen it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelydave

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Secrets is one of my favourite Herbie Hancock albums, but in the 3 or 4 years I've been collecting quad 8's I've never ever seen a copy, only copies of the LP. The same goes for Sextant too. I have Thrust on Q8 and Headhunters on SACD. Actually, while I'm at it, why are the Isley Brothers, Earth Wind & Fire and Ohio Players (other than fire & honey) so rare? Surely there were more made than the 2 or 3 that have shown up on ebay.. :confused: Anyway, I'm desperately after these carts and have quite a bit to trade. Please if anyone has a line on any of these let me know.

Dave.

steelydave said:
Secrets is one of my favourite Herbie Hancock albums, but in the 3 or 4 years I've been collecting quad 8's I've never ever seen a copy, only copies of the LP. The same goes for Sextant too. I have Thrust on Q8 and Headhunters on SACD. Actually, while I'm at it, why are the Isley Brothers, Earth Wind & Fire and Ohio Players (other than fire & honey) so rare? Surely there were more made than the 2 or 3 that have shown up on ebay.. :confused: Anyway, I'm desperately after these carts and have quite a bit to trade. Please if anyone has a line on any of these let me know.

Dave.

Sounds like the same titles are eluding you that I've been searching for. I see that an elusive Isley Brothers title finally showed up on Ebay. I placed a bid, but it looks like quadg is pretty determined to snag it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2575967521&category=1601
I saw an Ecstacy Q8 by Ohio Players on Ebay once. Other than that, I'm with you. I've never seen anything other than Honey and Fire.

I've also never seen a copy of EW&F Spirit on Q8.
Makes you wonder on a few of these if they really truly were ever released.

dr8track said:
Sounds like the same titles are eluding you that I've been searching for. I see that an elusive Isley Brothers title finally showed up on Ebay. I placed a bid, but it looks like quadg is pretty determined to snag it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2575967521&category=1601
I saw an Ecstacy Q8 by Ohio Players on Ebay once. Other than that, I'm with you. I've never seen anything other than Honey and Fire.

I've also never seen a copy of EW&F Spirit on Q8.
Makes you wonder on a few of these if they really truly were ever released.

Yeah I saw that...I wish we could all just come to a truce, all I want to do is win those and send them to Tab for conversion to DTS CD! I saw EW&F Spirit on ebay once, but it went for about $60 which is a bit out of my range...I imagine they probably all were released, but not in massive quantities to start with and then with all the bad stigma of 8-track most were probably thrown away...what a shame..

Dave.

steelydave said:
Yeah I saw that...I wish we could all just come to a truce, all I want to do is win those and send them to Tab for conversion to DTS CD! I saw EW&F Spirit on ebay once, but it went for about $60 which is a bit out of my range...I imagine they probably all were released, but not in massive quantities to start with and then with all the bad stigma of 8-track most were probably thrown away...what a shame..

Dave.

hi Dave
i have the EW&F spirit Q8 already transfered into a DTS cd. if you want a copy drop me a line, maybe you have something i can use for trade ???? i also have other titles too. i also have 250+Q8's to trade thanks Gerardo ;) "quadg"

I noticed Dave your into Herbie I just found this in my Q 8 collection and wondered about it ? Have you seen this Title ?

Damn.... it's not Q8 sorry it was in a Q 8 slip, tape # C2A34976

Hey, quadzone! Did you get your uncles audio equipment too! Also, what is your first name?

:-jon

Yes I did get some of his equip his quad reel to reel and his 4 ch 8 track player. I'm afraid though I didn't get his quad amp so I've been listening to them on two ch four speaker stereo, not the same

I'm not very good on the keyboard or workin through this site I'm learning as I go

steelydave said:

Dave.

I will attest that Herbie Hancock's "Sextant" exists on Q8 as I own a copy (and I must say is one of my favorite quad mixes of all time).

The only Isley Brothers titles I have never seen is "Harvest for the World" on Q8 or "The Heat is On" on either SQ format or Q8. If anyone knows if "The Heat is On " exists in any format, I would really like to know.

Wow I had An idea, but what it went for is "off the hook" (term borrowed from my 17yr old) sorry you didn't win Dave. I've got one more up my sleeve Headhunters!!! in Q8

Boy, Gerardo REALLY wanted that one! Good job, quadg!

I've seen it suggested several times on the forum that the quad mix of this title is at least partially faked or "double stereo". I gave the SQ LP a spin through my Tate today and the results really surprised me. There's definitely some discrete stuff going on- for instance, the intro guitar to "Doin' It" is only in the right rear and the ending of "Sansho Shima" does a nice 360 around the room.

While it's true that decoded SQ, even with the best decoder, can add some elements to the rears that aren't intended to be there, I have to say a lot of this sounds very intentional.

@steelydave: did you ever acquire the Q8? Anyone else have a copy?

Last edited:
Back