How Many Have Tinnitus?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elon Musk claims his Neuralink brain chip could ‘cure’ tinnitus in 5 years

"Enter Neuralink, a Silicon Valley start-up backed by Elon Musk that has developed a neuroprosthetic device known as a brain-computer interface. Among other things, Musk claims this chip could cure tinnitus, the neurological condition that causes ringing in your ears, within five years. But is this possible?"
Well as one who has suffered with severe tinnitus for over 50 years nonstop now, I can tell you I don't want some robot monkeying around connecting tiny wires to synapses in my brain, however helpful the prognosis might be.

Interesting article, however. Thanks for posting the link.

Mine is quite variable.
Some mornings it's so loud it seems to be what awoken me.
Other days I barely notice it ???
Well there is this strange thing about the brain where it seems to almost adapt at times. I don't notice it being as loud at times, but that almost always seems dependent on background noise and what type of noise it is. e.g. I have an air purifier running in the room, about as loud as your average box fan on low probably, and my tinnitus is off the wall loud. Other times it seems to diminish a little. A walk outside in the woods on the back of the property where it's often really quiet and sometimes it dies down after a while, but never goes away. It sucks.
But a side effect for me is when there are many voices, I have a problem following a conversation. For example if I'm on the phone and my wife is trying to tell me something I don't understand either conversation.

You can't fix a problem until you understand it. As far as I'm aware the many and varied pathologies of Tinnitus (i.e. it is not one disease but a condition with multiple causes) and the wide range of symptoms suffered by individuals are very poorly understood.

Last edited:
What I find really strange is that watching modern TV shows or movies, I have a hard time understanding
what they're saying and often turn on the CC to stay in touch.
On the other hand when I watch that stuff but from back in the 70s and earlier, I understand each word perfectly?

What I find really strange is that watching modern TV shows or movies, I have a hard time understanding
what they're saying and often turn on the CC to stay in touch.
On the other hand when I watch that stuff but from back in the 70s and earlier, I understand each word perfectly?
There is a real problem with dialogue in contemporary films/videos. This article might be of interest:
Here's Why Movie Dialogue Has Gotten More Difficult To Understand (And Three Ways To Fix It) - /Film

This opens opportunities: I'm trying to remember the name of a Sci-Fi novel where they had a pleasure machine but you became disabled if you used it.

You can't fix a problem until you understand it. As far as I'm aware the many and varied pathologies of Tinnitus (i.e. it is not one disease but a condition with multiple causes) and the wide range of symptoms suffered by individuals are very poorly understood.
Pretty sure I know what caused mine, or at least made it as bad as it is. What the physiological damage is and to what extent I don't know.

Stress plays a part in (my) tinnitus, for sure, mine largely bought on by a head injury, I had 3 different noises going on initially, one was an echo of any sudden noise which was bizarre, a lower white noise that was my blood pumping and the high pitched cicada like drone.
A therapist told me the first two would be attenuated by the brain, but not the last, which proved correct. Some days it's so loud it's almost like pressure on the eardrums.

There is a real problem with dialogue in contemporary films/videos. This article might be of interest:
Here's Why Movie Dialogue Has Gotten More Difficult To Understand (And Three Ways To Fix It) - /Film
You know, as an avid Blu-ray consumer, I just really thought that everyone was stupid and was just refusing to use an actual capable audio system in their homes to watch content. Then I tried some streaming exclusive movies. Never again, I'm going back to my Blu-ray stash. Gen Z can keep their streaming services.

I don't know if they're trying to make it sound better on phones or something but whatever they're doing is NOT working.

Last edited:
They seem to be only in Europe. Their “find a clinic” button said they had nothing near me (no surprise there - I’m not exactly in a metropolis) and were expanding their European presence.
It was just recently approved by the FDA for use in USA and was supposed to be available starting last month. Looks like it costs in the neighborhood of $3500 for the treatment. They claim most people who use it would recommend it to others, but I've seen a lot of people who tried it say it didn't work. A lot of money to put out with no guarantee.

I was sure hoping the trials that were being done using stem cells to restore hearing would bear fruit but I haven't seen any promising results. I would spend a lot of money if I could hear well again and have always thought that my tinnitus comes from my hearing loss. Although, I also sometimes think that I could hear better if I could just turn off the ringing.

K

Back