How to incorporate quadraphonic amp with 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to second the choice of the Pioneer 578AS (or 588?), for the low price I have not had any problems with it. As Dylan states, it will play just about any disc format (DD/DTS/DVD-A/SACD), including PAL discs! (Finally able to see my set from last years Ashes cricket) Don't know exactly what this has to do with integrating into quad equipment though...last time I looked a quad amplifier was not 5.1 output. John S.

I have a quad system..... but I want to add a stereo amp that powers the center and sub.

It seems that my best bet is a blah DVD player with optical out, and a technics processor.... that way I can get a remote for the volume, and still incorporate my current quad system fully with a sub and center powered by another amp.

Does anybody have any leads on a Technics SHA-500D decoder? All I can find are the 300s on ebay. Seems like hte 500s are impossible to find.

Have patience. They turn up from time to time but, since they are long out of production, they are not common.

Kal

Why is it that those things that ARE on ebay never have freaking remotes?
Because people are sloppy. My tendency is to toss unused components in the closet along with the remotes and, of course, they get separated and lost. Slowly, I am learning to be more careful.

BTW, I packed up my Technics decoder in the original box with remote and manuals. :D Someday, it will go on eBay that way.;)

Kal

Let me know when it does. Or just PM me. I want it. :) As long as it's the 500.... I can't build a system without DTS capability. It's just so much better than dolby it'd be like building a musclecar with a 1spd transmission.

Let me know when it does. Or just PM me. I want it. :) As long as it's the 500.... I can't build a system without DTS capability. It's just so much better than dolby it'd be like building a musclecar with a 1spd transmission.
Don't hold your breath. Until I commit to a pre/pro, in place of the mch analog preamps I now use, the Technics is a keeper.

Kal

Do you know if any 'universal remotes' work on that thing? Because it seems like every ebay auction does NOT include the remote... I'd get one if I knew I could use it, but I'm pretty sure the remote is required for full functionality.

Thanks in advance!

I have no experience trying it with a universal remote. Too lazy and, fortunately, not necessary for me. The most important remote controls you need are input selection and volume control and these might be shared with other Technics remotes. I can take a look this weekend and tell you the model number of the remote, if that would help you.

Kal

Umm, how about buying a cheap 'learning' remote? I could lend you mine as an 'instructor.' (Suitable hostage required.)

Kal

I'd get one if I knew I could use it, but I'm pretty sure the remote is required for full functionality.

Thanks in advance!
The remote control number for a Technics SH-AC500D is EUR645403. I had found an extra unit at a pawn shop without remote. I was able to go to Technics online and order a remote and an instruction manual.
That was about 4 years ago.

Yes, you need the remote for some functions.

Good luck.

Tom

I am going to buy the Pioneer DV-578A so that I can hook it up to my quad amp, but someone mentioned the Pioneer DV-588A-S, I was wondering if one is better than the other or are they fairly much the same?

Also the Oppo DV970HD is mentioned elsewhere on the board, is this a better choice than the Pioneer?

If a hi-res player can properly downmix the center and subwoofer channels to the front mains by setting them to none(like what Dolby & DTS are capable of), one could use that player with a quad receiver. and anyway a lot of people find center channels to be distracting unless they very closely match the mains and subs can be a major hassle to properly set up, if your wife will even let you have one. :) In my opinion if your fronts have woofers at least eight inches in diameter, for many people that will provide respectable bass for many music styles.

Hello all....

I am new to 4.0, and have enjoyed your forum for a time now. It is fun and very hospitable, as well as informative.

I decided to post here in this thread because I am getting a bit confused about my set-up, exactly what is going on, and the direction I am trying to go. Or at least where I think I want to go.

I have a QB QRX-7001 set up with 4 matching Klipschs. I have owned a Yamaha RX-V1300 for a few years and now it is sitting on the bar after the QRX arrived. I never had time to set it up in 5.1 after being married, a child came, grad school, etc etc. Now that I am thoroughly enjoying the 4.0 quad, quite impressed in fact, I am very curious how it compares with the the 5.1 Yamaha, amongst other things.

First things first:

I have a Yamaha DVD C920 that plays DVD-A. I currently have 4 of the 6 channel output feeding my QRX. I am missing the last two channels without the center and sub going anywhere (I realize not all mixes have either, and it is often a matter of taste and/or settings on the player), and would like to know if both can be run through the Yamaha receiver? Will the receiver feed the signals correctly to the center and sub if those are the only two channels being run through it? It has 6-channel input and output available. I have a Sansui AU-5500 that may someday be used for the center channel, but it needs to see QB and I simply do not have the funds right now. I would like to use the Yamaha now if possible.

More of a fundamental question: If the DVD player is decoding the, DVD-A for example, what exactly is the QS decoder doing on the QRX with the signals? What is left to decode? Another thought along the same lines that confuses me a bit, If I was using a QSD-1 for example, what would I feed it to? To my QRX?

Finally, if I wanted to have my Yamaha set up to the same speakers as my QRX to compare the sound effect from each, would something like a DBX-400 be used for that? What about the Technics SHA-500D or the Outlaw 990? How exactly do those fit into a system?

That is a lot of questions for my second post. Hope I am not too overbearing. But these things have started to gnaw on me a bit. As a side note, after I got the QRX set up last weekend, I moved all of our furniture out of the living room to develop my "listening room". I spent a weekend trying to stuff furniture in every other corner of my house. That, after buying a 30 year old piece of equipment, having it restored by QB, and buying a matching pair of Klipschs...kind of tested the limits of my wife's appreciation for my fondness for classic gear (she even sometimes calls it "junk"!), and now quad. The room has since been restored. I could not get the huge sectional in any other room. No matter, just really enjoying the QRX.

Well, again, too long, but would appreciate clarification on anything....

Thank you!

I have a Yamaha DVD C920 that plays DVD-A. I currently have 4 of the 6 channel output feeding my QRX. I am missing the last two channels without the center and sub going anywhere (I realize not all mixes have either, and it is often a matter of taste and/or settings on the player),
Just saw your post today.

Anyhoo, many surround mixes contain most or all of the lead vocal AND many times contain "spotlight" instruments like certain guitars, synths and specific sound effects (Beck's Guero is like this) so leaving out that channel could really hurt the music! A lot of mixes spread the vocal out among all three channels so you'll still hear the lead singer's voice but it may contain a chunk of added reverb as well (my Simple Minds dvd-audio is like this), causing a pretty strange effect.

The LFE channel also can contain elements that appear nowhere else & again the music may be seriously affected.

My post above yours details using a 5.1 player in a quad system. If you wanted to make sure you're hearing all the channels but don't trust your player's bass management system to process *hi-res* tracks properly, you can access the Dolby and/or DTS mixes by putting the player in its dvd-video mode and listen to those tracks instead (unless the discs already list these in its audio menu, like the Dark Side Of The Moon dvd-a). Dolby/DTS have strict licensing standards in place concerning bass management behavior, so these will always downmix properly.

Will the receiver feed the signals correctly to the center and sub if those are the only two channels being run through it?
Yes. The 5.1 inputs on most receivers are strictly pass-through designs - it's mostly only the hi-end models that can apply things like level control, bass management, etc to incoming signals on that input.

If the DVD player is decoding the, DVD-A for example, what exactly is the QS decoder doing on the QRX with the signals?
I've never owned a quad decoder so hopefully someone else here can help you with this. But I would assume that decoding only takes place via the decoder's stereo input (i.e. for matrixed formats), since using the decoder's 4.0 input would assume the source already did the decoding.

I've never owned a quad decoder so hopefully someone else here can help you with this. But I would assume that decoding only takes place via the decoder's stereo input (i.e. for matrixed formats), since using the decoder's 4.0 input would assume the source already did the decoding.

You would be correct, at least for my technics SA-8500x.

Back