it's the late 70's all over again, DualDisc, DVD-A and SACD all dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well sony killed DualDisc in record time.
With DualDisc dead, DVD-Audio looks dead and SACD has as classical life and thats about it. It sure feels like the late 70's. I guess it's time to collect any titles you been thinking about from the shops, before it all goes to E-bay. I'll be back here once they start re-releasing everything on HD-DVD or BluRay.
(n) :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :mad:@: :confused: :mad: (n)

4 years later and this original post still rings true.

This is what I have hated about the recording industry since the mod 1960s: too many incompatible formats.

Each company comes up with its own product, and expects it to become the standard. So many of us are left with recordings on formats you can't buy the player for anymore. I list a few.

- Two different reel to reel mono formats were incompatible with three different reel to reel stereo formats, all incompatible with each other
- 22 different matrixed quad formats
- Playtape, Elcaset, two different 4-track cartridges, and two formats of 8-track cartridges
- No noise reduction, 5 different Dolby noise reduction schemes, and DBX
- U-matic, Betamax, 4 VHS systems, and 8mm
- How many different video and audio computer file types are there?????
- Besides CD, there were at least 8 other kinds of digital audio recording formats
- Selectavision, Laservision, EVR, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu Ray, and 3D Blu Ray
- Dolby 4.1, DTS, Dolby 5.1, Dolby 6.1, Dolby AC, Dolby 3D, and several others
- NTSC was replaced by at least 10 different picture scan rates and aspect ratios.

At one time, we had a standards system that made sure that everyone's products met the same standards. What happened to it?

Back