Jeff Beck Group & Birds of Fire - Audio Fidelity 4.0 Multichannel SACDs (August 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Birds of Fire is amazing - Snood just got thru listening to it. Very very Awesome.........will review when poll goes up - still waiting on Jeff Beckster :banana:

In your opinion, of course. I have heard more Hoffman masterings that I like than Gray's.
Dont get me wrong, Kevin Gray is no slouch either, and Hoffman has his faults, but sometimes I find Gray's masterings to be a bit flat.

Same could be sometimes said for SH masterings.

My man of choice is Bernie "Aja" Grundman. Sorry, I think his stuff just jumps outta the speakers at you. He took over on some of the Warner stuff, like Coltrane's Giant Steps, that deluxe vinyl set from a few years ago. He has fans.

My Birds of Fire should arrive sometime next week. In the meantime, I'm curious about the style of the Quad mix, and a bit about the sound quality of the stereo compared to the other CDs. Anyone? :)

My Birds of Fire should arrive sometime next week. In the meantime, I'm curious about the style of the Quad mix, and a bit about the sound quality of the stereo compared to the other CDs. Anyone? :)

The sound quality is crystal clear, very dynamic, no compression, amazing. The surround mix is very discrete with the drums sounding like their coming mainly from the surrounds, and the guitar, keyboards, violin(?) isolated in various speakers at different times. No excessive panning. On one song (I think it was called "One Word"), there's a section of solos where you hear a guitar LF, then a front-centered solo, then a RF solo, and the solos just keep moving successively across the front of the room... it's really fantastic. I might give this a 10 (and I don't give tens often).

These arrived in one envelope from Amazon on Friday; they sound so good and so crankable too. Looking forward to letting these soak a little before writing up my impression for the polls when they appear. Also very much enjoy the feeling of putting them on the shelves with their other buddies!

Last edited:
The sound quality is crystal clear, very dynamic, no compression, amazing. The surround mix is very discrete with the drums sounding like their coming mainly from the surrounds, and the guitar, keyboards, violin(?) isolated in various speakers at different times. No excessive panning. On one song (I think it was called "One Word"), there's a section of solos where you hear a guitar LF, then a front-centered solo, then a RF solo, and the solos just keep moving successively across the front of the room... it's really fantastic. I might give this a 10 (and I don't give tens often).

Amazing, thanks. (y) Seems I will like the mix.

These arrived in one envelope for Amazon on Friday; they sound so good and so crankable too. Looking forward to letting these soak a little before writing up for the polls when they appear. Also very much enjoy the feeling of putting them on the shelves with their other buddies!
There's nothing like a shelf of shrink-wrapped joy!
image.jpg

I've got stuff that's been sitting around for over 5 years still sealed. I like buying stuff when it's available, but who knows when I may get around to playing some of them.

I've got stuff that's been sitting around for over 5 years still sealed. I like buying stuff when it's available, but who knows when I may get around to playing some of them.

I know what you mean. I have several that have been in the wrap for quite some time.
A valid concern is that life is short though. Could get hit by a bus tomorrow and all.

Yes, and there is comfort in knowing that the item is in your collection, can be played at any*time, and won't require a $100 eBay purchase sometime down the road.

Listening to Birds of Fire, Track 10 "Resolution"... Does anybody else hear an anomaly at 1:42? Like a skip or something?

Appears to be only on the Surround SACD track, not the Stereo SACD or Stereo CD track. I'd guess it was on the master tape.

Appears to be only on the Surround SACD track, not the Stereo SACD or Stereo CD track. I'd guess it was on the master tape.

Well, quad SACD was mastered by a different person as you said, so that leaves it equally possible it's a mastering glitch right.

Well, quad SACD was mastered by a different person as you said, so that leaves it equally possible it's a mastering glitch right.

It's limited to the SACD Surround Sound track, not the two Stereo SACD tracks.
Since the tapes are different (Stereo and Surround Sound), it could indeed be limited to that version of the album.

I'm finding that it's pretty minor on the SACD players here (Oppo and EMM Labs).

I've mentioned it to Marshall at Audio Fidelity and Gus at Super Audio Center.
I'm sure they will have a listen to check it out.

Back