Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be reissued in October 2022

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a shame they did not include the raw mix Steven Wilson mentioned. Hope Mr Ian Anderson is not upset with Steven discussing these inside info story's before the re-issue has been released.
I ordered this through my local Australian supplier jbhifi.com.au for $37.00 delivered. It takes so long for deliveries from USA or UK I decided to pay a few extra $$ so I could get it when it's out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thick-Brick..._shvl_album_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351014002&sr=301-2

What the hell is this?! Apparently for the download version of the 40th Anniversary reissue, they've split up each part into 4 segments. LAME!! The best thing about Thick as a Brick was that it was essentially 1 long 40 min song split into 2 parts (obviously cause of vinyl). :(

But, even though the SQ of these samples are really poor, I can already tell that this will be a better mix than the original. Not as much of an obvious difference compared with Aqualung, but I think SW's stereo mix (like all of his other remixes) will become the definitive mix of this album, and I can't wait to hear the 5.1! (even though it won't be lossless) :)

7113ULNc2sL.jpg

The back cover. Very nice! :)

Is there a poll set up for this release?

Not yet, but I'm sure Jon will get one by Tuesday when it's set to be released everywhere.
The biggest shame about this release is that it can't go in the hi-rez poll section cause it's not a hi-rez release!! Thanks a lot, EMI...

Not yet, but I'm sure Jon will get one by Tuesday when it's set to be released everywhere.
The biggest shame about this release is that it can't go in the hi-rez poll section cause it's not a hi-rez release!! Thanks a lot, EMI...

Is there a poll set up for this release?

Yeah, I usually wait until I get my copy so I can have a scan to go with it. It's a shame it's not a DVD-A or Blu-Ray. The DTS section is Bob's, so I don't like to step on his toes, but if one isn't there by Tuesday, I'll make one up.

Mine shipped today too. Always one of my top 3 JT albums, needless to say I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this one.

I just listened to this. First of all, the stereo master sounds just a little bit cleaner than the MFSL vinyl. Success!
Sadly, the 5.1 bonus track is the sloppiest SW remix I've heard yet. There's a glimpse of improved sound quality here and there as expected but there's so much missing.

I still think he really knocked his 2 favorite Crimson albums (Lizard & Islands) out of the park with the bonus 5.1 remixes. Everything since has been a big disappointment.

I sent an email yesterday (1/22/13) to the emi email address and pasted in the shipping confirmation email from Amazon for my box set, and I got a response today from emi! Very fast service, I must admit! :)

Dear Sir

You have provided us with enough information to initiate your replacement
process.

Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of your items.

Thank you for your patience as we try to correct this situation and again we
apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

EMI Quality Assurance

I got my replacement and am much happier with it. I have to admit that I'm still shocked that EMI even actually re-did it. Even after SW's comments, I still didn't believe that they would actually spend the money to replace them. But kudos to them for doing it.

K

I got mine last week. A lot of credit to EMI. I really look forward to being a long term frequent customer of theirs for all their upcoming 5.1 mixes:)

I guess I'm a bit late to the party...

So the 5.1 remix on the 1st release was admittedly flawed? (It sure was!) It isn't just me?

How do you tell the them apart from the package? Is the new one now LPCM (instead of the lossy dts)? The mix has been fixed now too? Maybe the dynamic range is back and the awkward balance issues fixed? That would be pretty cool. What's the story here?

I guess I'm a bit late to the party...

So the 5.1 remix on the 1st release was admittedly flawed? (It sure was!) It isn't just me?

How do you tell the them apart from the package? Is the new one now LPCM (instead of the lossy dts)? The mix has been fixed now too? Maybe the dynamic range is back and the awkward balance issues fixed? That would be pretty cool. What's the story here?

You would need to search back through the thead, but I think someone added pics of the old disc and the new disc. The only difference is that there is a underline added to some of the info on the new disc.

Not seeing anything...

Can someone tell me what to look for on the package? What specifically was fixed in the remix? I'd like to give this another chance.

Back