Jon Anderson releasing new surround material ("Olias of Sunhillow" upmix out in March!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the negative publicity surrounding this release will imperil any future Jon Anderson surround releases and if the original multitrack masters for The Friends of Mr. Cairo exist, an album I would love to see receive the surround treatment?
Agree I would love to hear this in proper surround. It doesn't sound that great thru the Surround Master or upmixed on a PC. Doing it from the multitrack originals would be amazing. I would be glad to spend too much $$ to hear that.

Given the long standing rift which exists between Vangelis and Jon Anderson, I suspect there is little chance of that happening.

Given the long standing rift which exists between Vangelis and Jon Anderson, I suspect there is little chance of that happening.
I didn't know. Does anyone know the story to that?

So i was playing some JaV today and wondered about what the english translation of The Italian Song was. I googled the lyrics below.

Can anyone verify this?

Is it love, is it love,
Is it love that I think I'm after ?
Is the moment so expressive in my heart
To believe I could be with you ?
Treasure this, treasure this.
Is it everything you hoped it would be ?
In your soul, in a job, at the firelight,
Could be life in a heart of stone.
Is it love, is it love,
Is this love that I think I'm feeling ?
Hold me in your arms, lie by my side,
Let me be inside of you.
Let me go, let me fly, let me love you.
Somehow I must believe, you need me too,
You dream me too summer love.
Cause I will be unchained
When true love surrounds me.
I will be unchained
When true love I see in your eyes.
Yes, I will be unchained
Tell me I'm a fool, I would know how to believe it. (eyes)
All the words you say enfold me, touch me, but
Somehow there's more to being this love.
It's a game of give and take.
Call it love, (give and take)
It's the world that inspires my every move,
A world so much to do with you.
Tell me now, I'm alive.
So alive that I need to show it.
Gather round me, come to me, the firelight.
Come to me, wait by my side.
I will be unchained
I will be unchained

So i was playing some JaV today and wondered about what the english translation of The Italian Song was. I googled the lyrics below.

Can anyone verify this?

Is it love, is it love,
Is the moment so expressive in my heart
To believe I could be with you ?
Treasure this, treasure this.
Is it everything you hoped it would be ?
In your soul, in a job, at the firelight,
Could be life in a heart of stone.
Is it love, is it love,
Is this love that I think I'm feeling ?
Hold me in your arms, lie by my side,
Let me be inside of you.
Somehow I must believe, you need me too,
You dream me too summer love.
Cause I will be unchained
I will be unchained
Yes, I will be unchained
Tell me I'm a fool, I would know how to believe it. (eyes)
All the words you say enfold me, touch me, but
Somehow there's more to being this love.
It's a game of give and take.
It's the world that inspires my every move,
A world so much to do with you.
Tell me now, I'm alive.
So alive that I need to show it.
Gather round me, come to me, the firelight.
Come to me, wait by my side.
I will be unchained
I will be unchained

Those are the lyrics to "Is It Love" from Page of Life. Have no idea about the Italian song lyrics- are they Italian? I always thoughti t was Jon just using sounds as lyrics, as he's done in the past. But if it's Italaian and that translation is correct, he's also used the same lyrics in different songs in the past- without changing languages even.

Yes, not a rift at all. Feels more like a drifting apart, with Vangelis feeling a little disillusioned about something his manager had done. As per:

Anderson’s biggest non-Yes hits were with Vangelis, but there are no reunion plans – they haven’t spoken in years. “His manager messed him up,” sighs Anderson. “The last time we spoke, Vangelis said he was tired of Jon & Vangelis and tired of the business. I said, ‘Okay, I still love you, brother…’”

Yes, not a rift at all. Feels more like a drifting apart, with Vangelis feeling a little disillusioned about something his manager had done. As per:

Anderson’s biggest non-Yes hits were with Vangelis, but there are no reunion plans – they haven’t spoken in years. “His manager messed him up,” sighs Anderson. “The last time we spoke, Vangelis said he was tired of Jon & Vangelis and tired of the business. I said, ‘Okay, I still love you, brother…’”

And quite pitiful that NONE of Vangelis' fabulous discography including his extraordinary soundtracks for Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner have never received the Surround Treatment .... and probably NEVER WILL!

Because I don't have the master tape in my possession to compare to.

And neither do you!

Of course I never claimed to have heard the master tapes (though two of these releases claims to be sourced from them). You're the one who wrote of hearing 'more of the recording' in one mastering versus the others, suggesting some ideal knowledge of 'the recording' . Prior to CD releases, all we had were LP and tape versions of this album, are those 'the recording' you refer to?

I trust my ears. I stand my my assessment.
That first CD release sounds suspect as I described. And it also happens to be the best sounding copy I've heard. This new release is disappointing. Other releases are more disappointing.

The measurable evidence indicates the 2021 does not have 'high end boost' compared to either the 1990 JCD or the 2014 SACD. Perceptual level matching results in a largely equivalent midrange between the three, and the 2021 having comparatively *less* treble energy than the1990 JCD and the 2014 SACD. If I measured these incorrectly I'll gladly consider contrary objective data.

I wrote noting about which one sounds 'best' to me. 'Trusting your ears' yields an entirely subjective call -- inherently subject to both level mismatch bias and 'sighted' bias. The latter means your ears aren't the only sensory inputs being 'trusted' anyway

And Albedo 0.39. How amazing that would be in surround.

Greek born Vangelis is now 78 years old and would probably 'sneer' at the prospect of remixing his vast discography into surround!

See the source image

With respect Steve Wilson Atmos mixes insufficiently exploit the potential of the top speakers, greatest surround remixer but a work in progress on the tops exploiting.

Greek born Vangelis is now 78 years old and would probably 'sneer' at the prospect of remixing his vast discography into surround!

See the source image
Oh dear, he does look a little daunting in that pic. Not someone you'd want to reckon with. :)

When Vangelis signed for Arista, there was a promise of lots of new albums, however the only two which appeared were "Direct" and the Jon & Vangelis album "Page Of Life". Arista wouldn't release "Page Of Life" in it's original form, demanding a single (which Anderson supplied without Vangelis' participation) and other changes. Anderson then decided to release the original version several years later without getting the okay from Vangelis. And that, was that. Vangelis Collector - Music - Jon & Vangelis - Page of Life 1998 I've always thought that the subsequent Vangelis album "Voices" was Vangelis going "up yours" Anderson.

Last edited:
Just to clarify some Penteo upmix engineering .

Steven Wilson did a fine job with the 3 Trax on Gentle Giant - Octopus

But ,it was not Steven Wilson that penteo'd the 2 Crimson's , capable as he now probably is.

Both K C -In The Wake Of Poseidon , and K.C. Starless and Bible Black , were the work of Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering .

If I took a pick for who did the better job ,I'd pick Simon Heyworth , because of his experience , but Steven Wison has also proven his mettle. He would be my close second for a decent upmix .

20211207_230520.jpg
20211207_230251.jpg
20211207_230024.jpg
20211207_230042.jpg

Anyway I thought I'd point it out for when it comes to a penteo upmix decision ....they both are deserved of our praise.:bowing:

Back