Renaissance: Azure D'Or (5.1 Mix out in November)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
@Stephen W Tayler strikes again!

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/renaissance-azure-dor-expanded-2cd-dvd-set/
• NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES.

• FEATURING NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND AND STEREO MIXES PLUS PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED SESSION OUT-TAKES MIXED BY STEPHEN W TAYLER.

• WITH ADDITIONAL VIDEO CONTENT FILMED AT THE MILL HOUSE AND BRAY STUDIOS IN 1979.

• INCLUDES AN ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET FEATURING AN ESSAY WITH EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEWS.

An expanded edition of the classic Renaissance album ‘Azure D’Or’. Issued in April 1979, the album followed the successful ‘A Song For All Seasons’ and the hit single ‘Northern Lights’ released the previous year. The line-up of highly gifted vocalist Annie Haslam, Michael Dunford (acoustic and electric guitars), John Tout (keyboards, vocals), Jon Camp (bass, acoustic and electric guitars, vocals) and Terry Sullivan (drums, percussion) had recorded a series of acclaimed albums that fused classical music influences with progressive rock and had earned a loyal following in Europe and had enjoyed wider success in the United States and Japan.
Working once again with David Hentschel (who had also produced the albums ‘A Trick Of The Tail’ and ‘Wind And Wuthering’ for Genesis), the record featured excellent material such as ‘Jekyll And Hyde’, ‘Kalynda’ and ‘The Flood At Lyons’ and would be the last album by the band’s classic line-up and their last to chart in the UK.

This expanded edition comprises two CDs and a region-free Blu-ray disc featuring a newly remastered original stereo mix from the original master tapes and also includes stunning 5.1 Surround Sound and stereo mixes by Stephen W Tayler (which add new depth to the recordings) and additional unreleased bonus material from the album sessions. The Blu-ray disc also includes bonus visual content from a promotional film made at The Mill House and Bray Studios in 1979 plus an illustrated booklet with a re-production of the band’s 1979 UK tour programme and new essay with exclusive interviews.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE
AZURE D’OR REMASTERED
1 Jekyll And Hyde
2 The Winter Tree
3 Only Angels Have Wings
4 Golden Key
5 Forever Changing
6 Secret Mission
7 Kalynda (A Magical Isle)
8 The Discovery
9 Friends
10 The Flood at Lyons
Bonus Tracks
11 Island of Avalon (B-side of single)
12 Jekyll and Hyde (single version) (previously unreleased on CD)

DISC TWO
AZURE D’OR
NEW STEREO MIXES
1 Jekyll and Hyde
2 The Winter Tree
3 Only Angels Have Wings
4 Golden Key
5 Forever Changing
6 Secret Mission
8 The Discovery
9 Friends
10 The Flood at Lyons
Bonus Tracks
11 Island of Avalon
12 Friends (extended version)
13 Jekyll and Hyde (single version)
14 Kalynda (A Magical Isle) (early version)
15 Forever Changing (acoustic demo)

DISC THREE
AZURE D’OR
NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX
NEW STEREO MIX / ORIGINAL STEREO MIX (96 KHZ / 24- BIT)
1 Jekyll and Hyde
2 The Winter Tree
3 Only Angels Have Wings
4 Golden Key
5 Forever Changing
6 Secret Mission
8 The Discovery
9 Friends
10 The Flood at Lyons
Bonus Tracks
11 Island of Avalon
12 Friends (extended version)
13 Jekyll and Hyde (single version)
VISUAL CONTENT: THE MILL HOUSE & BRAY STUDIOS PROMOTIONAL FILM 1979
1 Jekyll and Hyde
2 Forever Changing
3 The Winter Tree
4 Carpet of the Sun
5 Secret Mission

Pre-ordered. I don't have anything from this band in my collection. It's pop-style prog which I tend to like.
Yes never enough prog and fusion in multichannel. What the hell is wrong with Apple Music to discriminate against the 2 best styles of music in this fashion? Put a moratorium on rap to work on this pressing need. Thanks ST.

I was actually going to start a thread on this but was beaten to the punch
This does sound wonderful. However I am only familiar with their early albums including the unique first one with a different personnel lineup. My understanding is the later albums lost their magic. I did pick up a later one I did not like at all I will have to look for the cd and check the title. Hopefully its not this one.

This is a definite purchase for me. I love Annie’s vocals. I’ve owned this title on vinyl since it was first released and recently did a transfer for my iTunes library (I was too cheap to buy the CD).
Now I can own the CD and a multi-channel version. Woohoo!

What's the difference between the DVD and Blu-ray?
looks like a mistake to me because the barcode number is the same as on the Cherry Red site - and I am sure it is a Blu-Ray - but worth checking with importcds - it had been incorrectly listed on Cherry red as a DVD for a while but I noticed and then they corrected it. I'm sure they wouldn't have gone to the trouble of manufacturing both formats. Maybe check asking Cherry Red directly

Yes we had all the multitrack tapes!!
What's the difference between the DVD and Blu-ray?
A BIG difference from DVD to BD~A/V, Pupster. Unlike the two previous Esoteric Renaissance DVD~5.1 remixes, some of which contained upmixes due to lack of ALL the original master tapes...the BD~A/V would contain LOSSLESS 5.1 remixes and a video upgrade from 480p to 1080p via UPSAMPLING!

A BIG difference from DVD to BD~A/V, Pupster. Unlike the two previous Esoteric Renaissance DVD~5.1 remixes, some of which contained upmixes due to lack of ALL the original master tapes...the BD~A/V would contain LOSSLESS 5.1 remixes and a video upgrade from 480p to 1080p via UPSAMPLING!
Yeah I get that!

I figured something was amiss as Stephen also kindly commented on, post #15.

Back