Renaissance: Scheherazade & Other Stories (5.1 surround upmix out in November)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Details here: Renaissance: Scheherazade & Other Stories, Remastered & Expanded 3CD Box Set - Cherry Red Records

A NEWLY RE-MASTERED 3 DISC (2 CD / DVD) EXPANDED CLAMSHELL BOXED SET EDITION OF THIS CLASSIC RENAISSANCE ALBUM
RE-MASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL FIRST-GENERATION MASTER TAPES
FEATURING 11 ADDITIONAL TRACKS INCLUDING A NEW 5.1 SURROUND SOUND UPMIX OF THE ALBUM, A CONCERT IN NOTTINGHAM FROM JANUARY 1976 & PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED STUDIO OUT-TAKES
DVD ALSO INCLUDES A PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED LIVE PROMOTIONAL FILM FROM 1976

Esoteric Recordings is pleased to announce the release of a newly re-mastered and expanded 3 Disc clamshell box edition of the classic album, Scheherazade & Other Stories by RENAISSANCE.

Recorded at Abbey Road studios in May 1975, the album is rightly regarded as one of the band’s finest works, featuring the epic Song of Scheherazade (which dominated the album’s second side on the original LP release) and other classic tracks Trip to the Fair, Ocean Gypsy and The Vultures Fly High. Upon its release the album reached the US Top 50 and was one of the best-selling Renaissance albums.

This expanded edition of Scheherazade & Other Stories has been newly re-mastered from the original first-generation master tapes and also features a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound up-mix on a DVD (NTSC / Region Free) which also includes a high resolution stereo mix and a wonderful bonus feature of a previously unreleased 1976 live promotional film. The set also includes a bonus CD of a concert recorded in January 1976 in Nottingham, England and a previously unreleased bonus track. The release also features an illustrated booklet with a new essay featuring exclusive interviews.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE:
Scheherazade & Other Stories
Remastered
1 Trip To The Fair
2 The Vultures Fly High
3 Ocean Gypsy
4 Song Of Scheherazade
i Fanfare
ii The Betrayal
iii The Sultan
iv Love Theme
v The Young Prince and Princess as told by Scheherazade
vi Festival Preparations
vii Fugue for the Sultan
viii The Festival
ix Finale
Bonus track
5 Ocean Gypsy (single version)
(previously unreleased on CD)

DISC TWO:
Live at Nottingham University January 1976

1 Can You Understand
2 Running Hard
3 Ocean Gypsy
4 Prologue
5 Song Of Scheherazade
i Fanfare
ii The Betrayal
iii The Sultan
iv Love Theme
vi Festival Preparations
vii Fugue for the Sultan
viii The Festival
ix Finale
6 Ashes Are Burning

DISC THREE:
Scheherazade & Other Stories
96 kHz / 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound Upmix & High Resolution Stereo Mix
1 Trip To The Fair (5.1 surround upmix)
2 The Vultures Fly High (5.1 surround upmix)
3 Ocean Gypsy (5.1 surround upmix)
4 Song Of Scheherazade
i Fanfare
ii The Betrayal
iii The Sultan
iv Love Theme
vi Festival Preparations
vii Fugue for the Sultan
viii The Festival
ix Finale
Bonus video content Renaissance – Live 1976 promotional film (previously unreleased)
1 Ocean Gypsy (Live promotional film)
2 Prologue (Live promotional film)
3 The Vulture’s Fly High (Live promotional film)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this classic album ....but an UPMIX??????

Think I'll stick with my Audio Fidelity Stereo SACD Remaster

R.35afdabbcfbaf53105f2196e8ad1cfb4

I have the LP, CD, SACD, and I thought oh hell why not, so I've ordered it. It'll probably sit on the to listen to mountain for a while before I get round to it though!

A disappointment, yes. But generally speaking, I do like what Esoteric have done with these Renaissance boxes, even if I'm not uniformly thrilled with Ben Wiseman's remasterings. Did Kevin Gray remaster the AF version, or Hoffman? And did he work from the stereo masters?

Love the album have it on vinyl and the AF SACD.
How do so many multitracks disappear unless they are purposely being jettisoned or rerecorded over? Really disappointing.
I wont be buying a complete upmix if it was partial like the last reissue I probably would get it.

Multis are Either lost , misplaced , unusable .....or a victim of the 2008 Universal Barbeque.

Or quite simply, that ArabianKing finally tired of hearing Scheherazade's 1001 stories and had her beheaded and all her earthly possessions including the master tapes torched!🔥

Last edited:
Or they were unwilling to meet the cost of searching for and / or remixing the multitracks.

R E
F that I'll do the search for the cost of a plane ticket in coach , and a cheap hotel stay.
Renaissance were on Miles Copeland's BTM Records (along with Climax Blues Band, Caravan, Curved Air) which went bust circa end of 1975, so my gut feeling is that all multi-track tapes from that era were lost. Scheherazade was recorded at Abbey Road though, so there is a small possibility they were left there, depends on what BTM did with used tapes.

Back