KISS "Destroyer" Box Set with Blu-Ray (Steven Wilson 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes out soon!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes (actually most of the time) if I want something, I just pay the price. Of course if I'm lucky enough to get it while it's still in print and available, I pay what ever it costs knowing if it's no longer available. The price from those eBay scalpers can easily triple and more!

For example Hemispheres 40th Anniversary (on Amazon) is now going for $799.99. Yep, I should have bought that while it was still ONLY $170 or so.

In one purchase, I just bought the new Tears for Fears Blu-ray Audio the Kiss box set and the new Steven Wilson box of course all mixed by Steven Wilson. The Tears for Fears one is the only one out of the bunch where I had to pay eBay scalper prices.

I haven't listened fully through the Kiss album but from what I've heard so far I really like. Who would have thought, a SW mix of Kiss?

Sometimes (actually most of the time) if I want something, I just pay the price. Of course if I'm lucky enough to get it while it's still in print and available, I pay what ever it costs knowing if it's no longer available. The price from those eBay scalpers can easily triple and more!

For example Hemispheres 40th Anniversary (on Amazon) is now going for $799.99. Yep, I should have bought that while it was still ONLY $170 or so.

In one purchase, I just bought the new Tears for Fears Blu-ray Audio the Kiss box set and the new Steven Wilson box of course all mixed by Steven Wilson. The Tears for Fears one is the only one out of the bunch where I had to pay eBay scalper prices.

I haven't listened fully through the Kiss album but from what I've heard so far I really like. Who would have thought, a SW mix of Kiss?
I get most of my stuff from Discogs, sellers are a bit more serious there...
How about $300 for Hemispheres?
https://www.discogs.com/release/12812017-Rush-Hemispheres-40th-Anniversary-Super-Deluxe-

I get most of my stuff from Discogs, sellers are a bit more serious there...
How about $300 for Hemispheres?
https://www.discogs.com/release/12812017-Rush-Hemispheres-40th-Anniversary-Super-Deluxe-
Actually, that's pretty good! The one on Amazon going for $799.99 isn't even brand new as it's slightly used. Damn, for $799.99 the shrink wrap should still be on it! So yea, $300 sounds much better. Is that the one with the Blu-ray? I take it, it is based on the description.

You got to love people that buy a box set and don’t want the surround disc!!!!!

Attachments

• A059B34A-B44F-45C0-80C4-94A65F6F7114.jpeg
    A059B34A-B44F-45C0-80C4-94A65F6F7114.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 0
I've had Atmos for about 2.5 years. I spent a lot of money on it, had it professionally installed and a lot went wrong. There are things about my setup I can't change such as vaulted ceilings...it's the worse for Atmos...a flat ceiling is the best and then setup as recommended by Dolby. In saying that, I wanted on ceiling Atmos speakers but couldn't find any brackets to hold the speakers the way they needed to be aimed. So we went with the in ceiling speakers which were angled correctly but because they were in the ceiling, there is no room for toeing in the speakers for sound stage purposes. Lots of money spent with results way less than ideal. I'm just now revisiting it again.

Learning from mistakes, I'm starting from scratch again. This time I'm going for on ceiling speakers so they can be placed exactly where they need to be placed and have movement so they can be then aimed exactly where they need to be aimed. With support from the ceiling the placement will now be as if I have a flat ceiling meaning the front speakers will be on a much longer support from the ceiling to match the same level that the rear Atmos speakers are height wise. The rears will be pretty much on the ceiling and as the ceiling travels upwards, the front Atmos speakers will hang from the ceiling from long poles imitating a level flat ceiling placement. The update has been started yesterday and I expect full installment to be finished by mid to late August.

Once this is complete, I will then revisit this Kiss recording with high hopes for a totally different experience. Not with just Kiss, but with other music Atmos discs I have (not very many.) On the other hand, I watch more movies than listen to music and have very many movies with Atmos and can't wait to give some of these a try again.

This time my expectations will be with low expectations with high hopes. I'm told this time around will make a difference...and it should; but we'll see.

If you don't have a flat ceiling, get something to hold the speakers where the ceiling is higher to keep them at the same level as the lower speakers. Angle the speakers towards the listening area like you would any other front speakers to help create a better sound stage.

Also, now there is a Atmos test disc that's $100, sounds expensive but it will show up any faults and areas that will need work to help dial in your Atmos.
Good stuff here. Best wishes. =)

anybody compared bluray and apple streaming? which sounds better? thanks
It's the same mix, just lossless on the Blu-ray and lossy streaming. Any difference you hear is down to that. As a rule, lossless is always "better" than lossy, but at a certain point, lossiness becomes inaudible and, therefore, unimportant. Streaming Atmos is low enough in bitrate that, in direct comparison with a lossless Blu-ray, the difference should be audible and the Blu-ray should be the clear winner. Without directly comparing, though, the streaming version probably sounds just fine.

Last edited:
honestly i'd buy that box...just for the bluray 🙈 ; but 200$ plus shipping...and without even including a vinyl...c'mon. i already have the 2012 resurrected remix both on cd and lp; i am very undecided...

honestly i'd buy that box...just for the bluray 🙈 ; but 200$ plus shipping...and without even including a vinyl...c'mon. i already have the 2012 resurrected remix both on cd and lp; i am very undecided...
I found one on eBay for $35. Someone that had the box but no use for the blu-Ray I suppose.

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
Back