Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
finding playlists now of singular artists with about 4 songs each:

Pat Benatar
Weezer
3 Doors Down
Johnny Cash
Blondie
Huey lewis

but if I'm correct, each song is a "hit" song from a different album of theirs so unlikely that they have mixed the entire albums, but rather just mixed the "Hits" only of each artist.

Last edited:
Then there is the POP playlist...57 songs in there.
This may not be to everyone's taste, I'm certainly learning about new artists!!
But what I am finding is that there is a defining difference in standard of mixing between older and newer releases. Not in every case but I'm definitely sitting up more to these newer releases and their very good mixes.
I wonder if the market they are aiming at, is taking up this Atmos streaming?

It‘s a strange thing to listen to music that I don‘t like that much, just because of a good surround mix. I don‘t like that route and will cancel my Tidal after the 60 days are over and wait til there is more content.
Last year I also decided to only buy physical, if I like the music....back to the roots! ;)

I'm listening to the 90's playlist now. After a cold start with Sheryl Crow and Weezer, Vanilla Ice's is great fun in Atmos! The shaker goes crazy around the room! Not my fav type of music, but worthy mix
Interesting. Ice Ice Baby was hands down my least favorite mix from the Classic Hip Hop playlist.

The Beatles - Abbey Road (BDA)

B81FEA98-DB1C-4934-85A0-B480730670C7.jpeg

Wow, what an absolute blast! Been a few months since I last heard it, and it only gets better. Seldom do we get such a great album where the mix is equally brilliant - but Giles Martin did a superb job here.

I Want You (She’s So Heavy) takes the roof off!
🏗

We've got footy back on TV here in the UK.
But it's not the same without the passionate supporters, so I've been playing oodles of various playlists from Tidals Atmos streaming service, whilst watching the footy.
There really are some exceptional tracks interspersed with a few mediocre ones. It is strange that there isn't an agreed minimum standard to achieve, in mixing these albums , playlists.
I realise it's all in the ear of the mixing engineer but if the bar is set high enough, maybe there would not be this wide discrepancy between good and not so good mixes.
I'm still unsure as whether I can justify £20 a month , when that could contribute to physical surround release albums, to own.
Anyone else having the same thoughts?

I have only been in this for a week,but I'm almost been through most of what I like.I don't like hiphop,jazz or classical so the pickings are a little slim.Will give it another month,because there is talk about some Kraftverk in July.
If there's not much new releases by then,I will cancel and sell the Firestick. :cautious:

We've got footy back on TV here in the UK.
But it's not the same without the passionate supporters, so I've been playing oodles of various playlists from Tidals Atmos streaming service, whilst watching the footy.
There really are some exceptional tracks interspersed with a few mediocre ones. It is strange that there isn't an agreed minimum standard to achieve, in mixing these albums , playlists.
I realise it's all in the ear of the mixing engineer but if the bar is set high enough, maybe there would not be this wide discrepancy between good and not so good mixes.
I'm still unsure as whether I can justify £20 a month , when that could contribute to physical surround release albums, to own.

Good thinking there Mike! Ha yes I’ve been watching a few games too but not with music, quite a clever switcheroo! Certainly could improve the ‘atmosphere’! I wonder when Diamond Lights by Glenn&Chris will be released onto the Tidal Atmos playlists?! 🤣

I agree with what you say... Some good mixes, but weirdly intercut in with some really mediocre stuff?! Strange indeed. I originally did the 60 days but then cancelled that for the 4 quid for 4 months trial. Unless they add a heck of a lot more stuff I can’t see myself paying the Bobby Moore a month to continue after that...

7.1 all the way down to mono also suffer from great to awful mixes. Nothing new there, except maybe surround is harder to pull off, so it's more likely to not be great?
As far as saving money for physical releases, I feel the same, except what physical releases?!
We're not exactly being flooded right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back