Listening to Now In SACD Stereo (or Mono)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to imagine this sounding any better than the already excellent-sounding original CD release. I don't think ECM has ever released a dud, sonically.
Mad LOVE to @4-earredwo nder for recommending this Tower-exclusive SACD. Beautiful!
View attachment 93502 Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
Then this ECM/UNIVERSAL single layer STEREO SHM SACD which was released in 2021 after the Tower Records hybrid Stereo SACD just might change your mind, JJ.

It's truly exquisite

Primary

Again, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the original CD. Why would I bother?
Well, JJ, I have The Köln Concert on vinyl [w/ticks/pops], the original ECM RBCD and even a Japanese Import RBCD and to my ears and on my system, the ECM/Universal Single layer Stereo SHM~SACD is by FAR ... THE BEST!

Believe it or NOT, SOLO Piano has a very wide dynamic range!

Last edited:
Last edited:
Have been wanting to get that Jarrett Koln SACD. Bough it on a German ECM bullseye era CD w/flat top case. Still, this one sounds pretty doggone good. Admittedly, although a Jarrett completist, this is the only copy I own. So no a/b

Yes, much of Jarrett's music has far more dynamic range than most Jazz recordings. Rock and classical are most likely wide dynamics.

Classic performance. If you have a US WB/ECM pressing, I'd expect it (likely recycled vinyl) to sound like popcorn.

Have been wanting to get that Jarrett Koln SACD. Bough it on a German ECM bullseye era CD w/flat top case. Still, this one sounds pretty doggone good. Admittedly, although a Jarrett completist, this is the only copy I own. So no a/b

Yes, much of Jarrett's music has far more dynamic range than most Jazz recordings. Rock and classical are most likely wide dynamics.

Classic performance. If you have a US WB/ECM pressing, I'd expect it (likely recycled vinyl) to sound like popcorn.
QLinda, except for the outrageous DHL s/h charges from Japan, CDJapan has the Köln Concert on SHM~SACD for under $21 [in stock] Well worth seeking out and it is single layer! Remember the early days when Universal Announced SHM~SACDs ...they were $60 LIST!!!!!!!

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCGU-9059

Antonio Carlos Jobim STONE FLOWER [CTI Records/Tower Records hybrid Stereo SACD remaster] Never heard it sound THIS FANTASTIC!

Antonio Carlos Jobim Stone Flower Japan SACD w/OBI NEW/SEALED Tower Records - Picture 1 of 2

Last edited:
WXRT in Chicago turned me on to Pat Metheny; "San Lorenzo" and "Phase Dance" got some airplay back in the day, and i picked up this album. Sounds spectacular on SACD . . . through the SM v.2, of course . . . really takes me back!
View attachment 93630 Pat Metheny Group - Pat Metheny Group

A great album!

I had the SHM-SACD, but somehow thought I couldn’t miss out if the the Tower Records SACD from Japan might be better. Paid a lot to get a new copy from Discogs or eBay.

Alas... pretty sure it’s the same thing. So both reside happily in my library.

A great album!

I had the SHM-SACD, but somehow thought I couldn’t miss out if the the Tower Records SACD from Japan might be better. Paid a lot to get a new copy from Discogs or eBay.

Alas... pretty sure it’s the same thing. So both reside happily in my library.
Blackwood, the only difference is that Tower Records is a hybrid stereo SACD whereas the Universal SHM~SACD is single layered Stereo ..... both apparently from the same DSD master! I likewise have the SHM~SACD ...same for CRYSTAL SILENCE!

Blackwood, the only difference is that Tower Records is a hybrid stereo SACD whereas the Universal SHM~SACD is single layered Stereo ..... both apparently from the same DSD master! I likewise have the SHM~SACD ...same for CRYSTAL SILENCE!
Ah! Good to know... totally missed that. Thanks!

Back