Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As usual, can't sleep (these dreams that shake us nightly), so I thought I'd put on the last disc from my recent DV order (this order was inspired by @edisonbaggins Life In Surround DV YouTube post). Also, whetting my appetite for my next DV order!

wait!?! only one of these songs (Glamour Boy) on The Best Of The Guess Who Volume II?!? Well, that's going to be one helluva disc, then!

As usual, can't sleep (these dreams that shake us nightly), so I thought I'd put on the last disc from my recent DV order (this order was inspired by @edisonbaggins Life In Surround DV YouTube post). Also, whetting my appetite for my next DV order!
View attachment 40977
wait!?! only one of these songs (Glamour Boy) on The Best Of The Guess Who Volume II?!? Well, that's going to be one helluva disc, then!

2:30 AM??? Wow.........

This is totally unrelated, but speaking of Schenkered... one of the girls who works at my hospital is a hair stylist and she convinced me this week to, ahem, let her color my hair and remove some of the grey... I reluctantly agreed and slunk into her salon for the procedure yesterday (making sure no one I knew saw me), feeling a bit dirty and unsure, when who should I see but another aging rocker "taking the years off"... not a Shenker, but Robin McAuley of McAuley-Schenker fame. We didn't speak, but there was definitely a mutual understanding as we sat in our chairs getting high on hair fumes :smokin

Well he is 66...so I'm guessing that's not the only thing he has had done o_O just saying...but I've often wondered about some of these older "rockers" and the things they must have to do to keep looking like...well... like rockers...I mean when you get older your body undergoes changes...but when you are a public figure...fans expect you to look the part of a rocker...not an old man....some of the more famous artists can get away with just looking old...Keith Richards has looked old for decades...fact is that I can't remember what he looked like when he was young...but in his case the "weathered" look fits the "junkie" rock star lifestyle "look"....James Taylor's appearance when he was young and now is quite a change...but he's not a "rocker" and his style of music doesn't require any "look"....

Well he is 66...so I'm guessing that's not the only thing he has had done o_O just saying...but I've often wondered about some of these older "rockers" and the things they must have to do to keep looking like...well... like rockers...I mean when you get older your body undergoes changes...but when you are a public figure...fans expect you to look the part of a rocker...not an old man....some of the more famous artists can get away with just looking old...Keith Richards has looked old for decades...fact is that I can't remember what he looked like when he was young...but in his case the "weathered" look fits the "junkie" rock star lifestyle "look"....James Taylor's appearance when he was young and now is quite a change...but he's not a "rocker" and his style of music doesn't require any "look"....

See the source image

See the source image

This is totally unrelated, but speaking of Schenkered... one of the girls who works at my hospital is a hair stylist and she convinced me this week to, ahem, let her color my hair and remove some of the grey... I reluctantly agreed and slunk into her salon for the procedure yesterday (making sure no one I knew saw me), feeling a bit dirty and unsure, when who should I see but another aging rocker "taking the years off"... not a Shenker, but Robin McAuley of McAuley-Schenker fame. We didn't speak, but there was definitely a mutual understanding as we sat in our chairs getting high on hair fumes :smokin

So how do you like the NEW YOU, skherbeck? Nothing wrong with 'turning back the clock' a little. I've been doing it for 25 years and never looked back. Just make sure if you continue doing it you use SALON GRADE shampoo for 'treated hair.'

And take mega doses of BIOTIN [like 10K mcg] if you want to keep your hair ..... although you'll grow it in places that are just NOT cool ....... that's where those 'clippers' come in handy!

Just don't get carried away:

See the source image

Last edited:
Listening now to Disc 19 DVD-A MLP 5.1 Surround 24/48 The ReconstruKction Of Light from the King Crimson-Heaven And Earth Box set.
I do have another choice to listen to the same Disc 23 the Blu Ray disc but having listened to all the rest of King Crimson in DVD I thought this would be a good choice for me as audio resolution is the same and I am not sure I would hear a difference?

For sure they have all been captured beautifully - that's the Chesky way!

I have just about ALL of Chesky's SACD/DVD~A output, JP, and their PURIST approach does come across in crystal clear sonics......but a little DISCRETE surround 'action' would've been welcomed and IMO, would've resulted in the sale of more of their discs.

I have just about ALL of Chesky's SACD/DVD~A output, JP, and their PURIST approach does come across in crystal clear sonics......but a little DISCRETE surround 'action' would've been welcomed and IMO, would've resulted in the sale of more of their discs.

I believe it's about listening perspective; more of hearing a live recording from an audience perspective. And I don't recall the models, but I seem to remember he likes to use special microphones and recording equipment to capture that "pure" live sound.

I believe it's about listening perspective; more of hearing a live recording from an audience perspective. And I don't recall the models, but I seem to remember he likes to use special microphones and recording equipment to capture that "pure" live sound.

He certainly achieved that in spades, JP, as sitting in the sweet spot does sound like one is in a smallish intimate space with state of the art sonics bathing one in sheer delight!

BTW do you have this one ...... ravishing sonics

51AFEuSUUlL.jpg

Opeth - Pale Communion; 96/24 FLAC; Corrected Version
Finally hearing this corrected disc mix and it really sounds fantastic. Takes Opeth's masterpiece to another level compared to the faulty disc which I own and thought sounded fine... then.

Boy, Kid, I missed the boat on this one .... never bothered to replace my defective disc. MY BAD!

It now packs the proper bottom end heft, which is really evident. Martin Axenrot's incredible drumming is finally on full display.

Doubtful if the replacement offer is still extant ........ he who hesitates IS TRULY LOST!

BTW, was the album out of phase because my pre/pro does have the means to phase correct?

Back