Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking a break from my Audio Fidelity "must hears" to listen to some new purchases:

View attachment 43551

Because I'm still without a television, I put the disc in and pushed all the buttons on my remote. Nothing. I read the poll here, put it back in again, and waited for an eternity . . . even the losers get lucky sometimes! Turn it UP(eace)!
This one is getting expensive....but definitely worth it. Even good alternate takes & live.

This one is getting expensive....but definitely worth it. Even good alternate takes & live.
I LOVE the disc--some of the bonus tracks rank right up there with the album cuts. I almost pulled the trigger on a copy for $80 near the end of August, but @edisonbaggins advised me to be patient. And he was right! Using the patented Life in Surround search method, I recently scored one for $48.11 shipped! And the good news continues!! I came home from class to find . . . a picture on the tele! My wife said, "Quick! Put in a disc before it disappears!" (Bless her soul) This was closest:

IMG_2048.jpg
I did the set up and hit play, and for the first few seconds, it was only stereo. I faintly remembered reading about it in the poll, so I settled in the sweet spot and W H A M ! The Drums started THUMPIN' ALL around!

Last edited:
I listened to this Linkin Park Reanimation 5.1 DVD-Audio recommended by QQ poster WeekendToy.
I was a little skeptical but I had to have it because I love DVD-A's, they sound the best. I was quite surprised how I actually liked the spacey, electronic Hip Hop sounding music and the surround was utterly fantastic. Now, I am still trying to figure out is WeekendToy himself the Weekend Toy or is his music listening the Week End Toy? :unsure:
61db-y993yL.jpg

I listened to this Linkin Park Reanimation 5.1 DVD-Audio recommended by QQ poster WeekendToy.
I was a little skeptical but I had to have it because I love DVD-A's, they sound the best. I was quite surprised how I actually liked the spacey, electronic Hip Hop sounding music and the surround was utterly fantastic. Now, I am still trying to figure out is WeekendToy himself the Weekend Toy or is his music listening the Week End Toy? :unsure:
View attachment 43560

Glad you enjoyed it, Markie ....a Great Album and of course MLP DVD~A 5.1! From weekend Toy's former BUFF Avatar ..... I'd say both ..... he's a weekend BOY TOY and his music is definitely BOY TOYISH!:ROFLMAO:

See the source image

Definitely NOT your average week end BOY TOY!

Last edited:
You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
Here's an example of liking a stereo mix more than a surround mix! Absolutely love the power of the song "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" on the Joe Cocker album "Night Calls" on the CD.
Problem is, the power of the choir that tends to drive the song to new heights in the stereo CD version; is pushed way back in the mix and pretty much neuters the whole song in the dts version! And we all know how cringe worthy the thought of neutering is.😱
dts version- discogs here .

View attachment 41453
I'm more a fan of Joe Cocker's late sixties material, but saw this disc mentioned here recently (I thought there was a poll for it, but I guess not). Anyway I found a copy at a decent price on eBay. I'm not familiar with the CD, but apparently the European, US and DTS versions all contain a significantly different track list. I thought that "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" could of been done a bit better, but had nothing to compare it to. Overall I thought it was a decent CD, excellent surround. A few of the tracks remind me of Bob Seger with a cold.

I'm more a fan of Joe Cocker's late sixties material, but saw this disc mentioned here recently (I thought there was a poll for it, but I guess not). Anyway I found a copy at a decent price on eBay. I'm not familiar with the CD, but apparently the European, US and DTS versions all contain a significantly different track list. I thought that "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" could of been done a bit better, but had nothing to compare it to. Overall I thought it was a decent CD, excellent surround. A few of the tracks remind me of Bob Seger with a cold.

Here's a nice little youtube vid for that one; my fav way to hear that song is the CD version on headphones to get the full impact of that marvelous choir.🤗

And here's what I'm checking out today...
CA-SP&PTB.jpg

My copy of XTC as The Dukes of Stratosphear - Psurroundabout Ride arrived this morning, I've never heard it before and what a treat it is, it's a tongue in cheek rendition of 60's music and as you'd expect from hearing the previous surround output of Steven Wilson & Andy Partridge the fidelity and surround mix are superb right from the start (clock ticking from Right front to Left rear) one track is a penteo upmix ( Open a Can of Human Beans) sounds good enough to me. Overall a hugely entertaining listen.

Well, with all of today's TULL DRAMA (starts HERE at 2:35 am!), I tried to avoid watching the storms in my mind, but having grown up with the Vietnam War; assassinations of El Haaj Malik El Shabazz, MLK, Bobby K, Chairman Fred Hampton; and then Watergate, I'm hardwired for conspiracy theories: I can't help but think amazon.uk changed our 22 July preorder links to non-existent 2 CD releases with different ASIN numbers in the hopes of having us cancel our sweet pre-order deals (I know I did), so they can make even more money off of saps like me. So there I sit, brain storms brewing, and what shows up? My $105 copy of

1571337295930.png
Derek & the Dominos Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs 40th Anniversary

Oh
My
Clapton!

I'm in Surround Heaven! Jethro Whom? Amazon Where?
Oh
My
Allman!

Oh
My
Scheiner!

Last edited:
Last night it was the new Atmos blu-ray
Yacht - Chain Tripping
First impression was pretty luke warm. Sounds fairly amateurish and that someone knows how to use a computer... I’ll wait and give it another listen sometime....

Tonight I had several choices, but Beatles - Abbey Road was laying by the OPPO.....

Back