Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hqdefault.jpg
Bruce-Soord-All-This-Will-Be-Yours.jpg

When RHINO remastered and released this 2 disc set in 2016 and HAD THE NERVE to call it DELUXE without the stunning 4.0 remix.....An Angel lost its wings!

See the source image

712W3PfCXBL._SL1200_.jpg

yeah that was quite an omission.. and they dropped the ball with Paranoid - but then so did Sanctuary in a different way! none of these wrongs make a right but Warner don't have the monopoly on this! i mean, how many Universal Deluxe Editions have there been that didn't include the Quad.. too many! Minnie Riperton's Perfect Angel was one that really hurt.. the Motown reissues of Diana Ross and The Jackson 5 with Quad downmixes.. ugh.. one day maybe someone will do justice by these wonderful Quads on a current format. right now it feels like some Rhino Quadio miracle after the Doobies Quadio miracle or Dutton Vocalion are the two main people to make it happen... 🤞

Read about this one HERE
View attachment 52217
i'm with @The Bright Side : "Real keeper!"

POLL

just as with all internet chatter you have to be a little bit careful with some of these thread/list things, people are very well-meaning as always but we all make mistakes and some stuff that was said to be genuine 5.1 (e.g. Robert Plant's Nine Lives) turned out to be disappointingly fake loads of old balls when i went and checked them out 👍

yeah that was quite an omission.. and they dropped the ball with Paranoid - but then so did Sanctuary in a different way! none of these wrongs make a right but Warner don't have the monopoly on this! i mean, how many Universal Deluxe Editions have there been that didn't include the Quad.. too many! Minnie Riperton's Perfect Angel was one that really hurt.. the Motown reissues of Diana Ross and The Jackson 5 with Quad downmixes.. ugh.. one day maybe someone will do justice by these wonderful Quads on a current format. right now it feels like some Rhino Quadio miracle after the Doobies Quadio miracle or Dutton Vocalion are the two main people to make it happen... 🤞

Adam, was just thinking [out loud] that in the early 00's when just about ALL the majors were on board releasing SACD/DVD~A 5.1 discs, IF ONLY a blitzkrieg of advertising tying in DVD movies in 5.1 with SURROUND MUSIC, as well flooded the market and the rush to 'reconfigure' all those lovely 70's QUADS to accomodate a center channel was just focused on releasing them as is [lots of WASTED TIME there], we wouldn't be having this discussion at present.

Those D~V QUAD SACDs and Rhino's Chicago QUADIO boxset, as is are phenomenol [without the center] and transferring those old 70's QUADS to SACD and DVD~A 4.0 could've been accomplished more efficiently and in much greater numbers and IMO, would've boosted sales of hi res formats AT THAT TIME.

But since SO LITTLE [or even non~existent] advertising greets even new ATMOS, 5.1, 4.0 hi res releases that's why SURROUND will always be a NICHE FORMAT.

As buyers continue to add SURROUND systems to their domiciles with larger and larger flatscreens and EVERY cable network broadcasts in SURROUND, you'd think by now MUSIC in SURROUND would've taken off like a bullet.....I even conjectured that The Beatles in Surround would've pumped much needed adrenaline into the format ........but if the public is unaware of its existence, due to lack of advertising ......we're in the same sinking boat which sunk the format in those early 00's.

Finally - got the speakers in my little music room connected and running. Did the best I could with placement accounting for the door and window....I'll tweak with the AVR volumes as I move along but I think it's gonna work okay...my L-R mains are on platforms about 8" off the ground and I think it'll be better if I can get them up a bit higher....loads of wood scraps in the garage so a DIY solution should be easy when time allows.

First 5.1 disc in the new house.....been in the queue for so long....Mary Fahl "Dark Side" blu-ray...just a couple tracks in....wow....seriously loving it, content and mix.
Mary-Fahl-Dark-Side.jpg

Back